• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 redoak3 OFFLINE  

redoak3
  • Member No: 75384
  • 12 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 10:09 PM

I'm looking for information regarding the clutch assembly on a 1958 Economy with Wisconsin AENL engine.  Is there a spacer or bushing that sets the proper distance for mounting the clutch flywheel/pulley assembly onto the engine's output shaft?  I'm guessing that something is required in order to take the thrust load from the clutch throw-out and transfer the load to the engine's bearings.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160410_195140.jpg
  • 20160410_195224.jpg

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 06:51 AM

I've never dealt with the Wisconsin engines on one, BUT, all the others have a snap ring inside the bore, towards the front where disc mounts. You may also have a small grease seal there that the trans pilot shaft goes thru. That ring bumps against the end of the crankshaft. THEN, only thing holding the whole assembly on is the two set screws down inside the pulleys. One goes into the key way and presses on the key in crank.  The other is on opposite side and goes against the crank itself. Some people drill a divot in crank at that spot so the set screw kind of drops down in the divot and helps keep it from moving when pressing the clutch pedal. Look for the snap ring. Some discs even have TWO snap ring positions in them. Not sure how to know which one is correct for your engine. The flywheel surface should be just about even or maybe a little inside the bellhousing outer machined surface where the clutch pedal assembly bolts on with 8 bolts. Also easier to put the bellhousing on before the clutch plate/pulley assembly. It will not fit over the clutch plate diameter. Bellhouseing just uses four big bolts to hold on and an edge it sets on to locate. Best to drill your divot and test mount the clutch plate first to see how it works and if it is going to be even with the outer surface as noted above. Then remove it and bolt on the bellhousing first.  Use lock-tight on the set screws. If your snap ring looks at all like it is kinda pushed in or angled, replace it. Just a common snap ring. Just a little damage makes clutch not work correct. There is no real play in pedal and it is not adjustable. IF it is not releasing the clutch when assembled it usually means the snap ring is damaged and whole assembly is pushed too far forward for the pedal to release the clutch. Clear as Mudd?

• Alc, classic, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 08:45 AM

The crankshaft bearings are designed to handle the force exerted on them when you engage the clutch.There is no need to worry about ruining the crankshaft bearings. Here is a pic of the Timken tapered roller bearings on a Wisconsin AHH crankshaft.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160411_093847-1.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 08:55 AM

I read over your post again and realized that I didn't really answer your question. It looks like you are wondering if there should be some sort of spacer between the flywheel/pulley and the shoulder on the crankshaft. As Grumpy said, the snap ring inside the bore of the flywheel/pulley acts as a stop. A spacer between the crankshaft shoulder and the flywheel/pulley could be made, but is not necessary if the snap ring is in place and in good shape. In my opinion, a spacer would have been a good Idea when the tractors were originally designed.
  • Alc and redoak3 have said thanks

#5 redoak3 OFFLINE  

redoak3
  • Member No: 75384
  • 12 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:23 PM

A snap ring explains the mystery.  I noticed the groove inside of the flywheel/pulley but wasn't sure what it was there for.  Thanks for the help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clutch, plate, wisconsin