9 replies to this topic

#1 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

whitefishblues
  • Member No: 41816
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:32 PM

Hi all,

I've been struggling to get a tiller going on my HT20D.  The instructions say to "depress lock collar on tiller drive shaft and slide drive shaft onto the rear PTO shaft far enough to allow opposite end to slide onto tiller input shaft.  After drive shaft is installed onto tiller input shaft, slide drive shaft back until collar locks into groove in PTO shaft."

My collar does not lock into that groove.  Well it kind of does if I work it in there, but if I make a few revolutions by hand it works itself loose.  I worked and worked at it and finally got it to where it felt pretty solid, tilled four feet and it came off.

I am attaching some pictures of the driveshaft end and the collar.  Is this what it's supposed to look like?  Is it worn out?  I can't really figure out how it's designed to work.  The collar has two pins on the inside and one of them has a kind of spring mechanism.  Is that spring supposed to push back enough that it pulls the opposite edge of the collar into the groove?  

I tried putting a snap ring in the groove on the tractor's PTO shaft but the collar apparently worked its way over it.  

Any and all help is most appreciated!  I'd really like to get this tiller going.  Successfully getting this HT20D to be a loader and tiller tractor would be the end of a long and winding journey!

Drive shaft collar end.jpg

Drive shaft collar spring.jpg

Drive shaft end without collar attached.jpg

#2 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:39 PM

That is broken. You should not be able to take that collar off the splined end of the driveshaft. Some of the suppliers on here may be able to help you with a new yoke with the collar intact, or you may check into what Weasler has available. Many of the parts that Bolens used for driveshafts were supplied by Weasler. Other manufacturers supplied to Bolens as well but I think Weasler has a modern equivalent that might work on our tractors.
  • whitefishblues and Paulgo have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 06:58 AM

Many have a ring to pull back against a spring and inside is say 3 BB's or balls that will be loose into the ring when it is pulled back, yet when ring moves forward it makes the balls be tight into a groove on the driveshaft it is slipping onto. To take off, again pull that outer ring back, balls can move, and pull the joint apart. There should be a kit availabe with a new ring, the balls and maybe the spring and a snap ring to hold it all on the body of the end joint. I have never done things with Bolens, but big White uses a shaft similar to that.

• Sawdust and whitefishblues have said thanks

#4 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 10:23 AM

They are supposed to be spring loaded to push the collar to one side (to lock it in the PTO groove)) when its on the PTO shaft. It looks like the spring (/?) is gone.

• whitefishblues said thank you

#5 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 960 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 11:37 AM

The spring is there. It's located behind the wave washer (wire Form spring). This typically happens when the pins are worn. If you look closely at the pins, you can see one side is longer than the other. Put the lock collar back onto the driveshaft and drive the shorter pin in just slightly and it should hold. If not, the pins may be worn too much and will need replaced. The pins are a special grooved pin, 3/16" diameter x 1/2" long and 3/16" diameter x 3/8" long. Part numbers are 1118922 and 1187762.
  • Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Bud W and 3 others have said thanks

#6 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 12:01 PM

I have those pins in stock if you find you need them,just pm me
  • Sawdust and whitefishblues have said thanks

#7 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

whitefishblues
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for the help!  I scraped the dirt and rust out of the collar and attached the drive line to the tractor.  My first try came loose after a few minutes, but the second try held.  I think a new set of pins will help me trust it better, so PM sent.  So far when it has come loose it just ends up on the ground, but it seems like if it walked up the PTO shaft and came loose at the tiller end, it could cause some damage at 2000 RPMs before I got the PTO shut off!

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and Paulgo have said thanks

#8 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 09:34 PM

It could definitely cause damage if it came off on the tiller end. It'll also do damage if the tiller isn't installed correctly, as the shaft can then rub the bottom of the axle housing when lifted etc.

I'm glad you posted this, as mine uncouples from the front on occasion too. I may need to replace my pins next season (didn't get to use mine this season due to both of my tractors being torn down for various repairs). I will say this, I was shocked how much longer it took with my old craftsman walk behind vs my large frame tiller. Not to mention how much dirtier I got lol...

Edited by nglauer, May 14, 2016 - 09:36 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Sawdust, whitefishblues and 1 other said thanks

#9 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

whitefishblues
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 02:11 AM

Well if I can offer any advice, it would be to NOT wait to replace the pins like I did.  I ordered the pins, but before they came I got the collar on my driveshaft to stay in place on the PTO shaft and decided to give it a try.  I tilled most of the garden with it.  Then I got in an argument with a very large rock and lost.  The shaft came loose from the front, the collar came off, and that little spring inside the collar ended up somewhere in the lawn.  I couldn't find it even with one of those magnet-on-a-pole things.  I've tried Bob and Rick and so far we haven't found a replacement.  The amount of effort Bob put in to try to find a part that would sell for only a few dollars was impressive, so there's a plug for him!  (Rick was very helpful too, just doesn't have the part at his current location).  For now I'm going to take the one out of the mower deck driveshaft and try to copy it.  But I'm sure wishing I had just waited and put the new pins in before I tried using it!

• blackjackjakexxix, ClassicBolens and Paulgo have said thanks

#10 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 960 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 10:52 AM

I have the return spring in stock new. Feel free to PM me if you can't find yours.
  • LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and Sawdust have said thanks