• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bfritzler OFFLINE  

bfritzler
  • Member No: 82228
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 07:14 PM

Make:John Deere Model:318 Year: (if available) Serial number: (Some manufacturers have rolling revisions) Make and model of Sub assembly (Carb, Engine etc) Engine Spec. No. (briggs 23hp) replaced b43g onan have done alot of refurbishing and when its working the tractor is great. between my father and I we have mowed with this tractor since it was brand new. last year I repowered the tractor with a briggs 23hp vanguard and everything was great about 2 months started having problems diagnosed the time delay control module replaced it and worked great with intermittent problems (was a used replacement) more background i am a Control Equipment Technician (mine machine electrician) work with plcs drives, control circuits ect. searching the we there are alot of problems with this module is there anyone that had rewired the tractor using plain old 12v relays and got rid of the problematic box? this is what im planing and drawing up a schematic but would like to "pick someones brain" that has done this to eliminate any problem areas thanks in advance

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:33 AM

I've never had any issues with the  module on my 318 , I think the one your talking about is which gets input from the seat sw , pto , shift lever maybe the newer ones the brake ?

#3 bfritzler OFFLINE  

bfritzler
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 06:15 AM

Yes thats the module

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 07:15 AM

I have similar module on my late model Power Kings. It receives info from all the safety switches and knows if engine is running or trying to start, and oil is good and many things. I was told it will not allow functions if the items are not giving the box all the required signals. I was also told it cannot be bypassed  or eliminated. I'm no control engineer, but after letting the smoke out of mine nothing worked. Had to buy a new one, about $75 for mine and everything worked as it should after I fixed the main short in key switch wiring.  Why not just buy the part and be happy?  IF you do come up with idea, I would like to see diagram or something as to what you did or changed to make it all work. 

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 08:20 AM

I was also told it cannot be bypassed  or eliminated

Maybe like a oil burner furnace control , if you have a bad photo cell and try to jump it won't let it fire off more then a few seconds  , it needs to see it open during the purge cycle then close when it see flame after a few seconds , yep the was a $85 dollar lesson lol

#6 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 09:46 PM

You could eliminate the module but would require an entire safety system rewire. I have the module on my 420 and have been fortunate with it functioning flawlessly, so far. If you were to just wire all the safety switches in series from the switched side of the ignition then ending at the solenoid, you wouldn't need the box. Basically, you would wire it up like the older versions before the box. You could still utilize the existing switches.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
  • Alc said thank you

#7 bfritzler OFFLINE  

bfritzler
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 10:11 PM

Thats more or less what i was planning functionality i would loose is battery monitor and time delay on seat switch

#8 bfritzler OFFLINE  

bfritzler
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 10:13 PM

I may try to leave module intact and just rewire the deck clutch and engine circuits leaving battery monitor intact

#9 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 04:42 AM

or buy a goat...no circuits there!  seriously tho, usually the problem is with one or all the safety switches or the key switch

Edited by Delmar, April 14, 2016 - 04:44 AM.

#10 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 03:07 PM

I believe the oil pressure light is wired through it also but you may be able to direct wire it.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk