Know Your Limitations

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 02:35 PM

It's that time of year when we all have so many things to get done & some in a short time just so we can do something else next. Since we have moved my wife & I get overwhelmed sometimes looking around & thinking about so many things we need to get done. I told her earlier you know since we have lived out here I don't remember just taking a whole day & just do nothing.

Don't get me wrong we love living in the country but sometimes we need to remind ourselves of our limitations. The last five years I have had both of my shoulder joints replaced...about 2 years apart. I feel good but I can't work like I use to or do things in long periods of time especially doing things above my head. I have to pace myself or just stop when I should.

I don't think anyone on here is a lazy person. We all enjoy just doing things whether it's our job's, things around the house, tinkering & having many hobbies. I use to be involved in men's ministry at our old church & enjoyed it tremendously. I use to & still do tell people you know your limitations because most of the time it hurts before we quit. Not to sound selfish but we have to take care of ourselves because most of us have a lot depending on us. If I'm not at at my best or close to it how can I be at my best for others. I'm preaching to myself too because we all do it. If your feeling bad, hurting somewhere or just simply tired tell someone or stop & rest. If your recovering from an illness or surgery take it easy. If your like me sometimes my mind gets ahead of my body telling me I can do more than I actually can.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 14 others have said thanks

#2 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,700 Thanks
  • 2,158 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 03:06 PM

tough advise to take for must of us, I have found there to be a great group f working class people here who depend on themselves or everything and it is tough to just take a day and have it all for yourself.  my father got diagnosed with cancer about 10 years ago and it scared the crap out of everybody in the family, kind of gave me a minute to think things thru then.  now I make sure to take at lest one day a month and do nothing at all but enjoy myself.

Usually those days are spent with my father at tractor shows and the like.  thanks for the reminder.

• hamman, KennyP, MFDAC and 4 others have said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,602 Thanks
  • 38,985 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 06:33 PM

At my age, I find I need to ease off at times! But it is soooooo hard to just sit around!

• MFDAC, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,373 Thanks
  • 3,803 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 06:40 PM

Thanx for the reminder sawdust!

My back hurts 24/7 so I don't pay much attention to it.  As long as I can mentally get away now and then I'm OK.  Just anything to not think about what I need to be doing.

My motorcycles are my "sit back and relax" therapy, and I don't spend enough time on them to be where I need to be sometimes.  Kind of a short mental vacation.

GTT is good therapy in bad weather - or anytime.  :thumbs:  :worshippy1:

Edited by Gtractor, April 10, 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,516 Thanks
  • 3,067 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 06:40 PM

Very true words, Sawdust. I just came in from 21/2 hours of chores and slogging through wet snow almost up to my knees; feeding hay, making sure the new calf knows how to get a meal, forking out the hen pens and hauling in fresh straw etc. etc. I'm starting to wish I had paid attention to my back about an hour ago when it said I should quit. Have to go back out two more times tonight to feed the bottle calf, but right now I'm going to have a nice cup of tea and put my feet up.
  • olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,043 Thanks
  • 4,973 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 06:54 PM

I worked myself half to death on my addition. I took this weekend off. I needed to relax. Now I'm gonna be back on it soon. By the weekend. Going to be super busy this week at work and probably getting 12 plus hour days

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,660 Thanks
  • 28,313 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Last weekend wife and I did nothing we had to, only what we wanted to.
KK and I will be getting some Daddy Daughter time this weekend.

#8 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,294 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:16 PM

Working too hard has never even come close to killing me. (okay, three or four times tops)

Playing too hard? Well, that's a different story altogether.....

• MFDAC, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#9 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:30 PM

Yep, sometimes you gotta just slow down but thats hard.  Myself and a group of about 6 guys at church have a ministry helping other people with projects.  Right now we are getting a bit busy on the weekends with the weather starting to get better.  Last weekend we started at 7am and worked till 8pm at 3 different houses cutting trees down and running them through a chipper.  One house alone we did close to 25 trees and there is more left.  When that is done we have a new roof to put on for a church member. and the list goes on from there.  I am working by myself at work right now as my co workers mom has been given less than 2 months and he is taking time off to be with her and care for her so this years projects have fallen on me to get done.  On top of that I have all my own work to do and take care od my mother in law and her neighbors yards and my next door neighbors as well.  Some days there ain't enough hours and some days like Alan said you just gotta let it go and take it easy.  Today was one of those days, I had stuff I wanted to get done but just took the day off and rested.

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 1,860 Thanks
  • 1,052 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:33 PM

I really have no knowledge of how you folks that are full-time agriculture can do it, in later years or with illnesses. You folks have my unending respect.

I'm not exactly a city boy, lived in a semi rural  location since '72. There's chickens, goats and horses around and I never see a traffic light and most the time even another car going to work! With the job and chores even on an acre having time to just sit doesn't happen unless it's for something like looking at this forum! The only TV I watch is the 10 0'clock news or the weather channel in the morning. If NASCAR is on then the TV is on out in the shop but it's never sitting and watching. Last night I watched it with my wife since it was a night race. Most the time what she wants to watch on TV doesn't work for me!

My point is that since my illness 5 years ago when I'm doing something in the shop or the yard and start feeling like I better catch a break, I sit at this computer for a half hour or so then go get a bit more accomplished. Of course that doesn't work at a paying job but it's just do what you gotta do. I don't feel completely guilty of being a lazy bum pacing myself when I'm reading stuff like this on the internet!

Edited by MFDAC, April 10, 2016 - 09:34 PM.

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,212 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:35 PM

Working too hard has never even come close to killing me. (okay, three or four times tops)
Playing too hard? Well, that's a different story altogether.....

Sounds familiar, flipped my 25' Donzi in the dark, took a header off a slolom ski at around 65 mph, various racing incidents, etc... Had a couple of work related things, but play is the dangerous thing!
  • oldedeeres said thank you