Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 12:12 PM

Got the 5 speed from my Dodge pickup all sealed up and ready to put back in.  While this close, wish there was time to go ahead and pull the engine and totally detail the engine bay. 

Been holding a steering wheel roughly 14 hours a day right now at work and hope to do that for another 2 months. 

Wasn't very impressed with the new clutch plate, the reason for tranny removal.  It looks like a cheap plastic toy and is not but a fraction of a MM thicker than the old worn out clutch.  Flywheel and pressure plate were worn badly too adding to the slippage.  Had the flywheel turned and a new pressure plate will make this one last longer. 

I think the guy that put the new engine in didn't do any more than he just had to, causing my problems. 

Clutch was slipping 2 and 1/2 years ago when I got this pickup.  Babied it along for as long as I could.  Now I'll be able to abuse the throttle some.  This is the close ratio 5 speed which I don't care for but should help 0-60 times.    :rocker2:

A525.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, April 09, 2016 - 12:15 PM.

• MH81, Chris11, MFDAC and 10 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 03:24 PM

You going to a drag strip with it or just basic transportation?  :poke:    :dancingbanana:   My idea of detailing an engine bay is a good pressure washing once in a while.  You got a good little truck there Kris so better take care of it.  With the different compounds they are using now for clutch, brake linings, etc. I don't think any of them are as thick as they used to be.  Sounds like your keeping busy down there anyway.  Same up here but going to slow down fast the middle of the week.  Go in for that knee replacement Wednesday.  A couple Cubs coming up on an auction next Sunday I want to look over good so I can leave a bid with a guy.  The boys are not moving very fast to get the stuff moved up to Corning to the auction facility.  Hope they get them here before Tuesday evening.  Take care and catch you later.

• Gtractor said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 04:03 PM

Should Lift steering wheel, roll truck out, roll Chevy under it, mount wheel, heeee
  • Gtractor and chieffan have said thanks

#4 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 08:20 PM

Well Kris, my memory stinks and i can't remember what year Dodge you have. That transmission and bell housing setup looks smaller than this 1970 NP205 transfer case I finished building a few weeks ago, and your tranny is probably a heck of a lot lighter too!

To go with GLG's theme he started, maybe you should jack up the radiator cap, and roll a GMC under it--LOL! My wife drives a Dodge as well as most of her side of the family so I have some appreciation for them too---- I don't blame you for wanting to detail the engine bay too, I like things all to look fresh but a lot of the time there just isn't time.

DAC

EDIT--- this is another pic where the camera date was a year off---it should say 2016!

Attached Thumbnails

• Transfer case rebuild 107.jpg
  • Transfer case rebuild 106.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, April 09, 2016 - 08:21 PM.

• Gtractor and Chris11 have said thanks

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 09:24 PM

page.jpg ,shed 5.jpg

1984 Dodge Rampage.  It don't haul as much as my GMC, but gets twice the MPG's. 

:angel:

• MH81, Chris11, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#6 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 09:29 PM

I thought that was a front wheel drive trans in the pic in the original post. ??? But figured you were talking about a full size pickup.

#7 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 04:29 PM

Oh yeah thanks for the refresher! For some reason I had it in my head that you had already rebuilt everything in that little Rampage. Keep us posted on your progress Kris.

DAC

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Dac.

I'd like to do a full rest-O on it but been too busy driving and enjoying it.

Until this clutch replacement there were only 2 very minor repairs and one major.

[1 minor] Bought it with the tranny "out".  It was stuck in 1st gear and the shifter flopped all over the place.  Once home I drove it in the shop, jacked it up and hooked the shift linkage back up.  At that point the trans was no longer "out" as the previous owner said.  :thumbs:  

[2 minor]  Alternator tension bolt broke one time coming home from a tractor show.  With a bungee holding tension on the belt and a jump start from the jumper pack, we were back on the road.

[3 major]  Floors were rusted out with lots of sheet metal repairs screwed in place with self-tapping screws performed by local preschoolers.  NEVER have I seen such a poor piece of workmanship!  [And I spent 10 years working for the city!!!] 

I gutted the interior, cut out all the bad areas, welded up the exhaust where the preschoolers self tappers breached the exhaust pipe, and welded in all new 20 Ga. metal. 

Trans is back in and just a few things to hook up before it comes down from jack stands.  Should be driving it by Tuesday.  

Edited by Gtractor, April 10, 2016 - 05:22 PM.

• MFDAC said thank you

#9 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 05:52 PM

That's in great shape. I worked for dodge in 85 till 2001 had a guy put in a turbo engine in one of those. 2.5 with inter cooler

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 07:38 PM

I love that thing! I'd take one of those or a Subaru brat!

#11 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:02 PM

Thanks Dac.

I'd like to do a full rest-O on it but been too busy driving and enjoying it.

Until this clutch replacement there were only 2 very minor repairs and one major.

[1 minor] Bought it with the tranny "out".  It was stuck in 1st gear and the shifter flopped all over the place.  Once home I drove it in the shop, jacked it up and hooked the shift linkage back up.  At that point the trans was no longer "out" as the previous owner said.  :thumbs:  

[2 minor]  Alternator tension bolt broke one time coming home from a tractor show.  With a bungee holding tension on the belt and a jump start from the jumper pack, we were back on the road.

[3 major]  Floors were rusted out with lots of sheet metal repairs screwed in place with self-tapping screws performed by local preschoolers.  NEVER have I seen such a poor piece of workmanship!  [And I spent 10 years working for the city!!!] 

I gutted the interior, cut out all the bad areas, welded up the exhaust where the preschoolers self tappers breached the exhaust pipe, and welded in all new 20 Ga. metal. 

Trans is back in and just a few things to hook up before it comes down from jack stands.  Should be driving it by Tuesday.  

HA I've been with the city 12 years---LOL and can relate to that! since the management is too cheap to keep us stocked with parts or actually buy what fits, we have to be "creative" getting repairs done quite often!

Sounds like you bought it from someone that didn't want or know how to tinker with a vehicle at all. It must have reflected in your buying price, great score!

I'm guilty of the same thing on my trucks, driving them seems to be more important and the one I did tear into in 2005 is still not driveable. That's the one the transfer case is for.

Post a couple pics when the little truck is back in action!

DAC

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:52 PM

I love that thing! I'd take one of those or a Subaru brat!

Thats not my Thing!   

THIS  is my THING  :angel:

Thing.jpg

Kewell thing about the Subaru Brats is they were 4X4.  I say vehicles like Rampage and Brat would sell nowdays.  Maybe they were ahead of their time?

I was looking for a Vee Dub gasoline pickup when I stumbled upon my first Rampage nearly 15 years ago.  VW has a 6 foot bed but the cab is smaller.  I weight nearly 300 and over 6 foot so the Rampage is a much better fit even though it sacrifices 1 foot of bed space.   

Edited by Gtractor, April 10, 2016 - 10:02 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 10:10 PM

"Ramette" is back together and I started it just long enough to see that it moves under its own power.  I forgot to get any Dextron II fluid [even though its a stick] for the transaxle so will get that tomorrow after work.   Hopefully,  the guy that put it back together knew what he was doing.....  :smilewink:

When done I had 2 bolts left over.  I thunked and thunked and couldn't 'cipher where they go'd.  :wallbanging:    Then it hit me that there are two holes into the bellhousing that do absolutely nothing but there were bolts in the holes when I started.  :rolling:

• MFDAC said thank you

#14 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 03:40 PM

I had a 78 Subaru brat. Great rig.

Noel

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 06:01 PM

Update:

With the "Ramette" back together I drove it some and all was good except engine oil was rolling out the bellhousing.  I hadn't changed out the rear main seal because it wasn't leaking and I figured to let sleeping dogs lie.

BIG MISTAKE!!!

The idiot mechanic got to re-pull the trans and install a new rear main seal.  Took only 2 and 1/2 hours to pull the trans the second time.  Been working lots of hours so it took virtually all week but its now back up and running with no leakage visable. 

Once back behind the flywheel, I could see the old main seal wasn't touching the crank a full 1/4 of the way around.  Was hoping to see a tear in the seal and there was none.  This really made me nervous.  I had visions of the crank not being centered in the hole or somehow out of round.   No idea what happened to it but O, O, O, O'Wrongleys had a rear main seal in stock - which shocked me.  That seal fits many years of 4 bangers and V6's as well. 

Glad thats over with.   Don't know how people work on cars for a living - or day in - day out.   There were a couple of times I just had to walk away. 

First tractor show of the year is 2 weeks from today.  :smilewink:

Edited by Gtractor, April 16, 2016 - 06:04 PM.

• Cvans, MFDAC and propane1 have said thanks