Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo

Tips/tricks for tubing your tubeless tires?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 easternharvest OFFLINE  

easternharvest
  • Member No: 80494
  • 154 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:12 AM

Debating on keeping the original Goodyear tires on my JD 210 refurb... they have very little weathering and about 80% tread. Only problem is they wont hold air for more than a day. Would be a shame to let these tires go. So my only options are to Slime or tube them. My experience with tubed tires goes as far as my bike tires as a kid. (FYI, i haven't diagnosed the leaks on each tire yet other than ensuring the schrader valves were tight. Does anyone have any advice?
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:15 AM

Just install tubes, it is easy and they rarely go bad over long periods of time. Slime is never a solution if you plan to keep it. I tube any tire I mess with, even if it says tubeless, it gets a tube.
  • Gtractor, Alc, HDWildBill and 5 others have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Tubes are the only way to go to preserve your old tires, they will last many years and are not too bad in price.

Slime is not good especially if your the one who is going to take the tire off again if there ever is a problem.........

• Alc, HDWildBill, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#4 easternharvest OFFLINE  

easternharvest
  • 154 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:21 AM

I was really hesitant to Slime them, pricing tubes now.

Anybody have any tricks to tubing them?

Edited by easternharvest, April 09, 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:24 AM

I have had real good luck with slime, even on leaking sidewalls.  Won't fix any big leaks but those small pesky one it works good.  I use it for rim leaks also.  Press the tire down to open a gap between the bead and the rim.  Don't break the bead completely loose from the rim.  Using an acid brush or similar brush work the slime down in between the bead and rim, one area at a time. Air the tire up good and let it sit for a while.  Wash it off and your ready to go.  Have some fixed that way for over 4 years now and still holding air.   Slime is a universal size and less expensive than tubes.  Slime will seal any future leaks that may show up also, like a nail or thorn.  A tube has another hole to fix.  Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

Edited by chieffan, April 09, 2016 - 11:27 AM.

• Alc, boyscout862, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:33 AM

I do stock the tubes but not sure how my prices compare to tire distributors out there

http://bolenspartsan...ight-stem-tube/

Just get some tire irons or some beefy flat head screw drivers and mix up some soapy water with a brush, the more soap the better the tires will slide on/off the rims

• Alc and easternharvest have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:38 AM

When I put a tube in a tractor tire I will put the tubes schrader valve in the hole on the rim then put a washer and nut (from a motorcycle tube) on the schrader valve to hold it in place.  Then bunch the tube on top of the rim.  Then I install the bottom tire bead over the rim using lots of tire paste.  Then I stuff the tube into the tire making sure it is straight and deep into the tire away from the top of the rim.  Nest I install the top tire bead.  I don't care for tire spoons and irons when dealing with a tube so I use a tire mount / dismount bar and I usually have good success with installation.

• easternharvest said thank you

#8 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 12:54 PM

Eastern...  I was successful when my rim-tire would not hold air...  Since the tire- rim was already loose from one side of the tire,, I slipped the valve into the rim hole,,, from inside..  add a washer and valve stem cap.. worked it around the rest of the rim and inside the tire... slide it around a bit,,, give it some air,,,let it out a couple of times,,( trying to get the kinks out )  Then put air in slowly,, bounce the tire around,,go slowly increasing the pressure..  It won't hurt to put a ratchet strap around the tire also.. Keep adding air til the bead seals..  Then adjust the pressure to normal..   Iv'e done this a few times and it sure beats pulling the one side of the bead off,,and then sticking any sharp object in there to puncture the tube as you pry the bead back on..   Hope this helps...

• limebuzz, HDWildBill and easternharvest have said thanks

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 12:56 PM

Local Firestone for me. Prices good, fast and I don't have to fight these small tires and always poke a tube when I do it.

• WHdbJD, stiemmy and easternharvest have said thanks

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 02:06 PM

I was really hesitant to Slime them, pricing tubes now.

Anybody have any tricks to tubing them?

First, remove the tire from the tractor..

next- pull the valve out of the valve stem and let all the air out.

Then break the beads on both sides of the rim.  Remove one bead from the rim & leave the other on..

Next-  cut off the old valve stem from the rim to make room for the tube's new one..

Then-  apply some soapy water to both the tube and the tire beads to ease installation.

With one bead of the tire on the rim stuff the tube around the rim while keeping the tube's valve in the hole with a keeper and carefully work the remaining bead back on the rim taking extreme care not to pinch/puncture the tube..  Align the tire/tube stem so it stick's as straight as you can get it..

Inflate the tube slowly to pressure (8 PSI for rear or 15 PSI for front usually) and reinstall tire..

Tractor on!!   :driving_big_tractor:

• limebuzz and easternharvest have said thanks

#11 easternharvest OFFLINE  

easternharvest
  • 154 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 03:22 PM

So I put new tubeless tires on my #7 cart. It looks like from what ya'll are saying it is basically the same except you are working the tire with the tube inside ensuring to not puncture.

#12 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 03:31 PM

Local Firestone for me. Prices good, fast and I don't have to fight these small tires and always poke a tube when I do it.

X2

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 03:31 PM

I usually wipe down the outside of the tube and the inside of the tire with talcum or baby powder before installing the tube. This reduces the chance of ending up with a pinched tube. Also after installing the tube in the tire and the tire on the rim inflate it to about 10 lbs and then let all the air out so the tube can take shape inside the tire. Then re-inflate to the proper pressure.

Edited by Cvans, April 09, 2016 - 03:32 PM.

• HDWildBill, WNYTractorTinkerer and easternharvest have said thanks

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,751 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 03:32 PM

I once took the valve stem off and slowly but surely shoved the tube in through that hole.

Since then, I break the bead on the valve stem side, stuff it in, and then fish the tube stem out through that hole. Seems to be the better method.

• limebuzz, wvbuzzmaster and easternharvest have said thanks

#15 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 03:39 PM

Make sure you don't put the tube in upside down!

• Cvans and easternharvest have said thanks