27 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 08:31 PM

Probably the only GT with enough hydraulic pressure is a Case or Ingersoll.  10 gpm 2000 psi.  I believe the rest all need a loader with its own pump.  Not a bad setup just a belt off a pulley most of the loader frames out there should have their own pump or rig up an old ps pump off a car if missing. 

As for power steering.  Running a loader you should have a few hundred pounds out back between a box, wheel weights, tire fluid, whatever.  That will keep the steering light enough and look for some wide front tires also.  If you pick up so much weight that you need power steering, you are probably risking the health of your front end, as in snapping something when you least need it.

If you really need to lift a lot of weight constantly with a GT why not look for a factory built Case loader, the old ones sell for 2k or less needing some work.  newer ones with ps cost around 2500+.  or like rick said an old farm tractor could cost less than that and pick up more weight with a lot more options on the rear hitch.

You could go with a Deere 318 or similar with a Johnson etc loader and it would probably be fine if you keep the weight to a certain limit.  But we generally push our machines over the limit especially with a loader, it just happens.

Buying a heavy GT in good shape plus a decent Johnson etc loader then puting it all together can run up close to 2k and you still won't have the lifting capacity or front end of a case 600 series.  Also a belly mower on a loader can be more of a pita than it is worth.  Personally i'd keep the Ariens or simplicity for mowing and everything else, while looking for a dedicated loader tractor no matter what brand, good luck

Yep I agree, finding a 600 series Case would be ideal. That was designed as almost a Black Ops exercise by the same engineering group who designed the Case Construction King tractors.  And is considered the smallest units in that line.Every stress point in the GT was beefed up and it is rated at 600 lbs lift. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for one myself. My first introduction to loader tractors was my dads Case 320, it had a shuttle drive so you could go from forward to reverse in any gear by moving one lever, Loved that machine but have never found another?  The problem I see with the 320 is if I found one I could probably buy a 580 for less?

• Oldford said thank you

#17 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 09:29 PM

Probably the only GT with enough hydraulic pressure is a Case or Ingersoll. 10 gpm 2000 psi. I believe the rest all need a loader with its own pump. Not a bad setup just a belt off a pulley most of the loader frames out there should have their own pump or rig up an old ps pump off a car if missing.

As for power steering. Running a loader you should have a few hundred pounds out back between a box, wheel weights, tire fluid, whatever. That will keep the steering light enough and look for some wide front tires also. If you pick up so much weight that you need power steering, you are probably risking the health of your front end, as in snapping something when you least need it.

If you really need to lift a lot of weight constantly with a GT why not look for a factory built Case loader, the old ones sell for 2k or less needing some work. newer ones with ps cost around 2500+. or like rick said an old farm tractor could cost less than that and pick up more weight with a lot more options on the rear hitch.

You could go with a Deere 318 or similar with a Johnson etc loader and it would probably be fine if you keep the weight to a certain limit. But we generally push our machines over the limit especially with a loader, it just happens.

Buying a heavy GT in good shape plus a decent Johnson etc loader then puting it all together can run up close to 2k and you still won't have the lifting capacity or front end of a case 600 series. Also a belly mower on a loader can be more of a pita than it is worth. Personally i'd keep the Ariens or simplicity for mowing and everything else, while looking for a dedicated loader tractor no matter what brand, good luck

Actually my Simplicity 4041 Pow'rMax runs the loader off the hydro, and works quite well.image.jpeg

Edited by toppop52, April 09, 2016 - 09:31 PM.

• Cvans, Oldford and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#18 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 257 Thanks
  • 249 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 03:55 AM

There are a lot of machines that will support a loader

main thing to watch/look for is a machine with a heavy frame

not the stamped steel throw away junk

hydro seems to be  preferred over gear but both will work

most hydros will run the loader but it will react slow and you won't be happy

with a slow loader

power steering can be added if your inventive but is not

a necessity as long as your not traveling a great distance with a load in the bucket

your also going to have to beef up the front spindles and possibly

do a wheel bearing conversion

Loaders for a GT can get costly real quick

Mine was $700 no pump

and because it is over 40 years old  it needs all new hoses

and all the cylinders rebuilt because they leak

also needed a new spool valve with float because the one on the loader

did not have this feature

heres a price breakdown in my area manitowoc wi

pump 169 northern tool

spool valve 279 because its compact northern tool

4 short hoses so far 125 local hydraulic shop

still need 8 more hoses depending on length 30-50 a hose

Like has been said bigger farm tractors with a loader can be had

reasonable although most don't have down pressure and only have a trip bucket

Also if your like me and live in the city and have a sidewalk to clear snow from

then your going to have to stay with a GT

I'm close enough (Manitowoc) so if you have any questions or need tips tricks send a pm

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0034.JPG

• TomLGT195, Oldford and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#19 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,740 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 04:21 AM

The Ariens S18H you own is a good platform for a loader, if you can find a PS unit from an Ariens that is being parted out.

image.jpg
  • shorty, Oldford, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#20 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:46 AM

most hydros will run the loader but it will react slow and you won't be happy

with a slow loader

That may be true with most, but mine is at least 90% as fast as my 1855 MF with Johnson Workhorse and separate pump, was. It was a factory built utility tractor with high lift loader, using factory levers to control the loader. It was one of a batch built for the Marine Corps and still has the tag on it. The only very small inconvenience is that the bucket roll and 3 pt use the same valves, so you close the levers to the bucket dump when using the hitch. I think tractors like the Deutz Allis Ultima would also support a loader off the hydro without much trouble, those big Sunstrand's and similar will support a big load satisfactorily . On the other hand, I doubt you'd be happy running one off a K66 Hydro, etc...

• Oldford said thank you

#21 webtechlin OFFLINE  

webtechlin
  • Member No: 62438
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for all the great info.  I'm shying away from a farm tractor.  I had an Allis D15 with a loader that I fixed up.  I eventually sold it as I only had a 1 acre lot at the time.  Didn't really have much opportunity to use it.  Now we have just under 2 acres and I'm thinking a GT will be a bit more size appropriate.  I'd mainly like to have it for odd jobs around the house, landscaping and such.  Plus, I like the idea of building a loader.  Seems like a fun project.

I do like the idea of putting a loader on my Ariens, that K361 engine has a ton of power.  But I've been told adding power steering on a tractor that did not have it originally can be quite a job.  But if having the correct rear weight can really help it's another option.

I really like the Allis 620/720 tractors.  Reminds me of my grandpa's One-Seventy on the farm, but the ones I've seen for sale around me tend to be pretty expensive.  For a bit more money, I could get something newer, like a Simplicity Legacy XL or a Deere X485.  Both seem to be pretty solid/well built tractors.

• Oldford and ejones037 have said thanks

#22 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 09:10 AM

we have just under 2 acres and I'm thinking a GT will be a bit more size appropriate.  I'd mainly like to have it for odd jobs around the house, landscaping and such.  Plus, I like the idea of building a loader. 

Depending on the landscaping.  If you will be doing much hard digging in the ground might want to look for a gt with a twin motor like an onan for the extra weight up front to help push the bucket into the ground, also with a tooth bar.   Down pressure will only dig in until the front wheels come off the ground and you lose steering, so the more weight up front the harder you can dig.   Another option is a front bracket with a pile of suitcase weights you can add as needed, also hang on a rear weight box for heavy lifting, good luck

• webtechlin said thank you

#23 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 12:37 PM

One thing to consider, your Ariens with the K361 is a model not seen often. A little more on the rare side. If building a loader is something you can easily do, adding power steering shouldn't be difficult for you.
  • TomLGT195 and webtechlin have said thanks

#24 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,202 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 06:47 PM

Although hard to find, FordLGT195's are nice. 19.5 hp twin Kohler, power assist steering, cat 0 3pt out back. See my avatar.
  • webtechlin and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#25 webtechlin OFFLINE  

webtechlin
  • Member No: 62438
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 02:01 PM

Thanks again for all the great info guys.  I've decided to sell the Ariens.  Turns out, it's going to be a while before I can start the loader project.  Posted an ad in the classifieds section if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

#26 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 04:02 PM

If you are still looking for the tractor, here's a Bolens HT18 that's not too far from you:

http://milwaukee.cra...5533562037.html

It's about as good as it gets for a loader platform.

• Bolens800uk, AA Hayes and Paulgo have said thanks

#27 Mitchkrama OFFLINE  

Mitchkrama
  • Member No: 81892
  • 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 01, 2016 - 02:18 PM

Unless you have 4wd and a split brake, I don't see much utility in a loader unless you're moving loose, light material like bark mulch. But that's just my opinion on the matter.
  • toppop52 said thank you

#28 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted May 01, 2016 - 07:16 PM

Unless you have 4wd and a split brake, I don't see much utility in a loader unless you're moving loose, light material like bark mulch. But that's just my opinion on the matter.

Really? I've had 2 garden tractor loaders and two with Johnny Bucket type setups. All but the one with winch operated bucket would easily dig virgin ground, two will push 3" trees over, shove 20' trees into the woods, I have a topsoil pit on my creek bank, to fill my raised beds and landscape my front yard, which I also did with these tractors, that I dug from virgin ground using these tractors. But yes, they are good for moving heavy media as well as light "mulch", if you know how to operate it.
  • Mitchkrama said thank you