27 replies to this topic

#1 webtechlin OFFLINE  

webtechlin
  • Member No: 62438
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 10:03 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm just looking for some opinions on some good garden tractors to build a loader for and know you guys would be the ones to ask. 

Which tractors have you guys built loaders for?

How well do they work?

Would it be worth the extra cost to look for one with on board hydraulics/controls sufficient enough for a loader?

My primary use for this tractor would be for a loader, but I'd like to have it as a backup/second machine for mowing lawn as well.

I'm partial to Simplicity/Allis and John Deere, but open to other makes.

I currently have a Soverign 7116 that runs great that I use for my primary mower.  I also have a tiller, lawn vac, and snowblower for it.  It's a great machine.

I also have an Ariens S18H with a snowblower, deck and 3pt hitch that I'm considering selling/trading for a loader candidate tractor as it does not have power steering.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

• holdenboy1960 and christian.savard8 have said thanks

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 10:36 AM

I have a Ingersoll 6018 that has both a loader and a back hoe on it(kin to the case 648? I think)Its rock solid.

• Alc and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 10:37 AM

IMG_20160329_152616_zpsv5qgaqbu.jpg

• Alc, holdenboy1960 and Paulgo have said thanks

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:10 AM

I do not have a loader but want one badly.  I would be looking for one of the bigger models with Hydrostat transmition and foot control drive. Hands are busy with steering and loader control,why add shifting gears and running the drive?

That being said I have seen loaders on every flavor of GT and any of them would be better than a shovel or fork!  Many without power steering and one could get along without it, but it would be very helpful.

Most GTs do not have enough hydraulic flow to power the tranny and run a loader. You would be much happier with a separate pump to drive the loader.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 09, 2016 - 11:13 AM.

• Alc, propane1, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#5 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:16 AM

Mine has Hydrostat transmition and foot control drive.

• Alc said thank you

#6 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:18 AM

It also has power steering.

#7 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:25 AM

Ohh and it also has a dual stage (2 pumps in one)one is for motion and the other runs the FIL and Backhoef388e80b-c408-4c56-80ba-a6ad834f040c_zps

• olcowhand and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#8 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:41 AM

I scavenged parts off of all kinds of stuff to put this thing together..I call it Frankin Tractor...not pretty to look at..but its super strong and fun to use.

• olcowhand and BNK have said thanks

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 12:25 PM

One thing to consider on a garden tractor with a loader, there is usually a frame underneath where the deck would go. Since you said as a back up mower, the complete loader would have to come off. A scoop tote on the 3 point can do some of the same functions, it just doesn't have the cool factor of a loader.
  • propane1, Auburn David and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 12:40 PM

You may find that a full size tractor  with a loader on it is cheaper in the long run. I was just offered an 8N with FEL for $1000 but it needs its engine rebuilt. There are better deals out there. Good Luck, Rick

• JD DANNELS, Oldford, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#11 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 12:45 PM

You may find that a full size tractor  with a loader on it is cheaper in the long run. I was just offered an 8N with FEL for $1000 but it needs its engine rebuilt. There are better deals out there. Good Luck, Rick

Thats true..but in the end the GTs are cheaper to keep..I have had a few folks offer to trade me full sized Backhoes for Frankin Tractor..but I hang on to it because its easy to work on and parts from other GTs will fit right on it..the engine that on it now came off a Craftsman GT6000 I think.(Kohler Magnum 18)

• shorty, boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 02:05 PM

Boyscout makes a good point, Just yesterday I was in Colfax, they have a tractor salvage and sell runners and fixer uppers too.

One that caught my eye was a John Deere 770 with loader mounted. I did not have time to ask the price, since I was going to Grandparents Day for my granddaughter at the school. I may go back and check it out, While it is gear drive it is a little bigger than a GT and should be more durable,

Unless you really want to build your own loader you can often buy a machine with one for less and save a lot of work,

David did a great job on his machine (as have several others on the board) but I am not sure I have the patience to piece a machine together as he did.

• HANKG, Auburn David and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#13 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 02:25 PM

Boyscout makes a good point, Just yesterday I was in Colfax, they have a tractor salvage and sell runners and fixer uppers too.

One that caught my eye was a John Deere 770 with loader mounted. I did not have time to ask the price, since I was going to Grandparents Day for my granddaughter at the school. I may go back and check it out, While it is gear drive it is a little bigger than a GT and should be more durable,

Unless you really want to build your own loader you can often buy a machine with one for less and save a lot of work,

David did a great job on his machine (as have several others on the board) but I am not sure I have the patience to piece a machine together as he did.

We dont seem to have any tractor salvage yards anywhere around me that I know of..I wish we did..I would be in Heaven !And thank you for the compliment..I have been fiddling with Frankin tractor for over 2 years and drove it for the 1st time about 2 weeks ago so I see your point...Lucky for me I am a very patient person when it comes to stuff like that..fiances always make my projects one piece at the time..

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#14 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 06:28 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm just looking for some opinions on some good garden tractors to build a loader for and know you guys would be the ones to ask. 

Which tractors have you guys built loaders for?

How well do they work?

Would it be worth the extra cost to look for one with on board hydraulics/controls sufficient enough for a loader?

My primary use for this tractor would be for a loader, but I'd like to have it as a backup/second machine for mowing lawn as well.

I'm partial to Simplicity/Allis and John Deere, but open to other makes.

I currently have a Soverign 7116 that runs great that I use for my primary mower.  I also have a tiller, lawn vac, and snowblower for it.  It's a great machine.

I also have an Ariens S18H with a snowblower, deck and 3pt hitch that I'm considering selling/trading for a loader candidate tractor as it does not have power steering.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Probably the only GT with enough hydraulic pressure is a Case or Ingersoll.  10 gpm 2000 psi.  I believe the rest all need a loader with its own pump.  Not a bad setup just a belt off a pulley most of the loader frames out there should have their own pump or rig up an old ps pump off a car if missing. 

As for power steering.  Running a loader you should have a few hundred pounds out back between a box, wheel weights, tire fluid, whatever.  That will keep the steering light enough and look for some wide front tires also.  If you pick up so much weight that you need power steering, you are probably risking the health of your front end, as in snapping something when you least need it.

If you really need to lift a lot of weight constantly with a GT why not look for a factory built Case loader, the old ones sell for 2k or less needing some work.  newer ones with ps cost around 2500+.  or like rick said an old farm tractor could cost less than that and pick up more weight with a lot more options on the rear hitch.

You could go with a Deere 318 or similar with a Johnson etc loader and it would probably be fine if you keep the weight to a certain limit.  But we generally push our machines over the limit especially with a loader, it just happens.

Buying a heavy GT in good shape plus a decent Johnson etc loader then puting it all together can run up close to 2k and you still won't have the lifting capacity or front end of a case 600 series.  Also a belly mower on a loader can be more of a pita than it is worth.  Personally i'd keep the Ariens or simplicity for mowing and everything else, while looking for a dedicated loader tractor no matter what brand, good luck

• propane1, toppop52, Auburn David and 1 other said thanks

#15 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 07:45 PM

All good comments. I enjoy reading them. I have a winch operated loader on my MF 12. Amazing what it will do, but, I always wonder what a real hydraulic loader would be like. One thing I know is, you need a heavy duty front end. I have already broke the pivot bolt in the front axle in the MF 12. And as oldford said, we push our machines over the limit, that's just the way it is. We learn from our experiences.

Noel.
  • Cvans, Auburn David, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks