12 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 08:55 AM

Yesterday we put in two rows, about 25' long each of onion sets.  One part row of White and a row and part of Sweet Onions.  Never planted the Sweet Onions before so will be interesting to see how they turn out.  Had to run in to town and pick up dog food and the store had 3 bins of onion plants sitting there.  Just came off the truck as it was pulling out when I pulled in.  Lo and behold one bin was Candy Onions.  We plant them every year but could not find any this year so far.  Was glad to find them locally.  Grabbed 2 bundles of 60 each so that will give us enough onions for the season.  Didn't plant them yet as it got down to 19° f last night.  Water all froze up in the pans and bird bath.  Full sun with light breeze so will warm up quick.  Might stick them onions in later this morning.  Might put the beans in too.  Rest will wait till warmer weather around the middle of May and I get back going after a knee replacement.  Go in Wednesday for that.  Probably not much walking for a while but can still run the Hydro's once I get to and on them.

Edited by chieffan, April 09, 2016 - 11:33 AM.

• oldedeeres, FrozenInTime and maxinems1 have said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 10:09 AM

Glad to see your on the way. I am not, the only thing I have in is the two rows of garlic I fall planted.

Since Good Friday was so early I decided it was too early to plant potatoes.

And we got a lot of rain this week and it is too wet.

Hope it dries out next week.

I had great luck last year with the Walla Walla sweet onions last year some as big as softballs.

So while I will plant a lot of onions, they are my choise for the sweets.

• propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,558 Thanks
  • 3,937 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 10:23 AM

I am guessing it will be a week or two til I can say i planted something. Garden was muddy mess, now it is completely white. About 4" of snow and still coming down.

#4 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Way too wet to plant here yet. Looking at the long term forecast, I might be able to start in about 2 weeks. I will be planting potatoes, garden peas, swiss chard and a few other frost tolerant vegetables. Things like corn, tomatoes and green beans won't go in till late may at the earliest.

What kind of beans are you planting Chieffan? I plant green, yellow and kidney, all bush type plants. They will not tolerate frost and like warm soil or they do not germinate well.

Jim

#5 easternharvest OFFLINE  

easternharvest
  • Member No: 80494
  • 154 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:14 AM

This crazy weather we've been having makes me more motivated to build my hoop houses.

Edited by easternharvest, April 09, 2016 - 11:14 AM.

• Alc, Bmerf and propane1 have said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:39 AM

Way too wet to plant here yet. Looking at the long term forecast, I might be able to start in about 2 weeks. I will be planting potatoes, garden peas, swiss chard and a few other frost tolerant vegetables. Things like corn, tomatoes and green beans won't go in till late may at the earliest.

What kind of beans are you planting Chieffan? I plant green, yellow and kidney, all bush type plants. They will not tolerate frost and like warm soil or they do not germinate well.

Jim

Usually plant the Kentucky Wonder pole beans.  When they start to grow good I put a 16" section of hog panel (1/4" rod with squares small at the bottom and larger as you go to the top) for them to climb on.  Couple steel post to hole it up.

• Alc, oldedeeres and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 12:03 PM

Usually plant the Kentucky Wonder pole beans.  When they start to grow good I put a 16" section of hog panel (1/4" rod with squares small at the bottom and larger as you go to the top) for them to climb on.  Couple steel post to hole it up.

I too plant pole beans and grow them on cattle panels.  I bend the panels into an arch and secure them with T posts. The arch runs 6 panels wide and I also grow peas and burpless cucumbers on the arches. Makes for a lot less bending and stooping for an old guy. somewhere in the archives are pictures of my arches. I hold the panels together with hog rings.

As soon as I can till that patch  then I plant salad items beneath the arch.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 09, 2016 - 12:06 PM.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 12:56 PM

You lucky guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,   I have snow on the ground this morning...

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 01:51 PM

You lucky guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,   I have snow on the ground this morning...

Not surprised, your enough north of us to get the rain we got in snow form. It froze here last night but suppose to get in the 70s next week.  How far are you from Eau Claire? MY brother moved there from Colorado last summer.

#10 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 06:21 PM

Those Walla Walla sweet onions are as good as they get.

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 08:34 PM

We put out three 20' rows of yellow onions...about 2" high right now. We got tomatoes, bell, banana,& jalapeño peppers, started indoors. We have had to cover up a lot of flowers that we transplanted from the old place to protect them from the frost.

#12 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 01:38 PM

Not surprised, your enough north of us to get the rain we got in snow form. It froze here last night but suppose to get in the 70s next week.  How far are you from Eau Claire? MY brother moved there from Colorado last summer.

I'm in southeast Wi.     My cabin is 40 miles south of Eau Claire ...

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#13 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 11:02 AM

I am guessing it will be a week or two til I can say i planted something. Garden was muddy mess, now it is completely white. About 4" of snow and still coming down.

We are with Shorty, what a strange bunch of weather. The high winds last weekend destroyed my canvas storage garage and knocked out over half the greenhouse panels, so what was starting nicely is now froze through or a sloppy mess from snow :( trees on fence lines and I've been fighting some sort of bug, just can't get the strength to do much more than animal feeding...

But we had a GREAT day at Ball Hollow Plow Day  :dancingbanana: And I made a second pot of coffee and got on here today  :D so I'll probably call back the "contract hit" on Pux'y Phil  :smilewink: 

• oldedeeres said thank you