3 replies to this topic

#1 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,519 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 08:13 AM

There has been discussion here several times about replacement coils for these engines. The ridiculous price of the new Kohler ones ,Harley ones, etc. Most if not all are Chinese. I'm not a proponent of used electrical parts especially if the engine is exhibiting electrical woes. I've switched to these ,made in USA and IMO reasonably priced to what's out there.

.. there is that horrific yellow color resembling team green, Krylon aerosol for plastic in black has addressed any issue the Bolens may have with "spitting out the bit" at the sight of the yellow

http://kirkengines.c...p#DualSuperCoil
  • OldBuzzard, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 5 others have said thanks

#2 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 09:45 AM

I have found that if you turn the lights down low and just use a flashlight you can sneak a different coloured part onto a Bolens and it will not complain too loudly.  Just promise that you will love it faithfully even though it is not in the same condition as it was when you first met it and all will be good. 

• OldBuzzard, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 3 others have said thanks

#3 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 03:57 PM

I think I read somewhere that the stock Kohler coil for the K-series twins had a primary resistance of 5 ohms. The yellow ones Kirk is selling have a resistance of 6.1 ohms. Does that make a difference?
  • blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#4 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,519 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 04:29 PM

I think I read somewhere that the stock Kohler coil for the K-series twins had a primary resistance of 5 ohms. The yellow ones Kirk is selling have a resistance of 6.1 ohms. Does that make a difference?

He says no in the description , I'm running them on 3 K series twins with no problems , points are fine.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, April 09, 2016 - 08:42 PM.

• LPBolens and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks