• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • Member No: 82091
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 08:06 AM

I have a 74 economy tractor that seems to have a throttle adjustment problem. It goes to fill power with the throttle only halfway. Is this normal? I would like the full range of the throttle handle. I changed some of the linkages but it did not improve the problem. Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails

• 0409160759.jpg
  • 0409160759a.jpg

#2 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,874 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 08:39 AM

That's a pretty nasty looking setup right there, first I would clean it all up, it looks( sticky) we have a manual section for economy so you can check to see the proper configuration for the linkage .

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 01:13 PM

Looks norm.  Thinking maybe spring is in too tall of hole position tho. I had same problem with my PK and finally adjusted the governor at the shaft where it swivels to get it right. Like new operation now.  That gov adjust is in any Kohler manual for K series engines, OR, just a few days ago someone had the info with pages photoed on a diff posting here.  It involves loosening the gov arm where it mounts on the shaft out of engine, holding throttle on carb in right position and turning and holding the shaft from engine with srewdriver turning one way or other. Then while holding all this, tighten the bolt on arm to squeeze back onto the shaft. Might need an extra body to hold while doing this. Check the manual for better procedure. Manual may also tell you which holes to put spring into on both parts if I recall.

• MNGB said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,660 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 06:47 AM

Governor adjustment and setup should be in this manual.

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,305 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 07:22 AM

The Governor regulates the engine speed and will always move to the same position @ WOT.  Sounds like your throttle cable to governor linkage is (bottom part) the problem.. If it isn't over-reving you may just have the throttle cable or spring in the wrong hole / misadjusted.  The top threaded rod lets you dial your WOT speed into the correct RPM..  

Try moving the cable case or spring location on that side of the setup..

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 08:01 AM

I'm with the other posters adjust the governor per the manual and check that the throttle cable is adjusted right to get full throttle lever movement on the dash, you really need a tac to do the adustments a there is no way to know without one what the R;s are at idle and full throttle.

#7 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.   I disassembled and cleaned the throttle linkages and made sure thew were moving freely.  I also made different adjustments with the spring position.  It allowed me better range of throttle but it would idle up to 25% of throttle then go full on till 70% of throttle.  If i went all the way to 100% throttle while driving the throttle lever would drift back to 70%.  

I  tried what glgrumpy suggested after watching a video and following manual for governor adjustment. Now it seems to surge a little when I increase throttle.  I have also shortened and lengthened the throttle attachment on the arm where it initially attaches. 

I don't know if I need to retry the governor again.  I may need to take it somewhere....  UGH!  Just frusterating.  

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 10:29 AM

If the engine is surging when advancing the throttle that indicates a lean mixture, screw the idle mixture screw out a 1/8 turn  and if it surges at full throttle open the main jet about 1/8 turn out  it may need more but only go 1/8 at a time. if you can not get rid of the surging it could be a worn throttle shaft and bushing causing an air leak leaning the mixture.

As for the throttle not staying where its placed I've had some luck spraying carb cleaner on the T lever pivot increasing the friction do not lube that area. good luck.

• Alc said thank you

#9 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 01:26 PM

Thanks, I'll try that. I believe that I dod not rotate the govener cross shaft counterclockwise. So I'm essence it rotated in the opposite direction. I'll try it today and we what happens. Thanks again for all the advice. It really helps.
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#10 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 01:29 PM

MNGB, where is the t lever pivot located?

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 01:37 PM

Hi on the dash the throttle lever (I call it a T lever but its just the lever) using a straw in the carb cleaner nozzle spray down at the pivot point like I said sometimes it helps but if its worn to bad the only thing that works is to remove the assy and place the pivot axle / rivet on a solid object and hit it with a hammer to tighten the rivet. 

#12 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 04:02 PM

so i loosened screws that hold governor arm and turned counterclockwise.  How far do I need to turn it?  I tried this several times and definitely turned it too far counterclockwise.  How do I get it back to the right position?  It seems to definitely be going over 3600.   Do I just keep fine tuning it and turning it clockwise until it sounds right?  Do I need a tachometer to know I have it at 3600 rpm?  

ill try the carb cleaner on T handle...

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 04:15 PM

Hi always use a tachometer I've been tuning engines for 50+ yrs and there is noway to tell by sound what the R's are, you can fine tune the carb jetting by ear but not the RPMs, as for getting the gov setting you have to go by what the manual says. Which is loosen the nut on the gov arm  move it away from the carb as far as you can then grip the gov shaft coming out of the engine and turn it all the way counterclockwise  then tighten the arm nut to 15 in lbs.

#14 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 04:40 PM

Should there be a stopping point when turning counterclockwise? Mine just keeps spinning

#15 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 05:03 PM

It should stop there is a tab on the shaft that contacts a stop / the gov stop pin here's what an inside look

http://www.ebay.com/...OAAAOSwQgpW~cGG