8 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 01:45 PM

After 10 yrs of not gardening, I bought the best Troy Bilt I could afford.
Not the Horse I wanted but a Super Bronco CRT.
The ground I'm working was a cornfield(field Corn) last year. No tilled with a lot of stalks on the ground.
Stalks have been mowed with my 318 to shred but it still leaves a lot of refuse that is not shredded well.
While I like the CRT for breaking the ground that has been untilled. Since the tines are coming up from beneath the soil it does not chop them up like a front rotatng tiller would. It tends to bunch the stalks up at the front of the shroud and then will ride upon top of the GOB.
To some degree I have fond that if I back up it drops out the gob and I can attack it in smaller bits.
Any ideas what I can do to improve on this situation?

I'll rule out one idea right off to bat. Getting a Horse is on the adgenda when I find one at a price I can afford. I'm convinced that one of each would be ideal.
One bg drawback to the CRT I have discovered is a Hilling attatcment is not available.

#2 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 02:19 PM

That's a hard one... Personally, I would try to get them out of the garden. I was amazed that I had lot's of them poke back up.

You can't beat the Horse model though...

#3 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 02:21 PM

Unfortunately, I think that's one of the characteristics of a CRT tiller. I had a Craftsman CRT for awhile. I could use that one either way; regular forward-rotating, or CRT. On yours, not being able to run in a forward-rotating mode is a limiting factor. CRT is GREAT for what it's intended for, but the only benefit I found was in using it to break new ground. To get a nicely-ground, smooth end result it takes a forward-rotating motion, from what I experienced.

I do have a 1974 Horse that I will probably never part with, I like it that much.

#4 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 02:32 PM

I looked high and low for a used Horse but ended up with a MANG Jr. it was built like a tank and would bust the soil in now time. but now with the wards GT with the tiller and the Kubota I had no use for it so I sold it to a good friend. I had tried to use a friends CRT on my new garden last year and it busted up the ground but standard rotating tiller on the MANG did just as good of a job of busting up hard packed ground but left a much nicer end result.

Wish I had more info on that MANG. I would say keep an Eye on C-list for what you want. Heck last week a Horse was up for 2 bills.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 03:12 PM

JD, Do you have someone around you that can plow under the stalks, then you can till it how you want it...

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 04:23 PM

JD, Do you have someone around you that can plow under the stalks, then you can till it how you want it...

That would have been the ideal scenario, however garden season is upon us and time is not in my favor.
I had hoped to get a disc & plow for my 318 this spring. But the money ran out before I got that far.
I have managed to get 1 25X30,1- 25X60, 1- 30 X 30 patch, a 25X30 berry patch, & 6- 36 inch X30 ft rows done for the Rasberries.
So while it's tough going, it is going.
I was just hoping I was just ignorant and someone could tell me what I was doing wrong.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 07:27 AM

If you plant anything with stalks this year, I would pull them out of the ground at the end of the season so you don't have that problem. That's what I did last fall and sure helped a lot.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 08:00 AM

If you plant anything with stalks this year, I would pull them out of the ground at the end of the season so you don't have that problem. That's what I did last fall and sure helped a lot.

I'll definately do that, I used to pull the cornstalks after I picked the sweetcorn and mowed them green and tilled them in immediatly so they would breakdown by next spring. I did that with all garden refuse.
I bought this place in December, so have to deal with what the previous owner left.

#9 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 08:05 AM

I'll definately do that, I used to pull the cornstalks after I picked the sweetcorn and mowed them green and tilled them in immediatly so they would breakdown by next spring. I did that with all garden refuse.
I bought this place in December, so have to deal with what the previous owner left.

That's a very good idea. I do the same thing. I run my corn stalks and okra stalks (small trees!!) through a chipper/shredder. Helps a lot!
  • trowel said thank you