Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo

Sheet metal/bracket inside corner rust removal suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • Member No: 78207
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 03:57 PM

I'm fixing up my 1980 Kubota L185 and yesterday removed the two rear fenders. I'll be painting Orange Crush as I've named her and rust removal correctly is important to me of course. Here's a couple snapshots of inside sheet metal and bracket rust I expect to have trouble reaching with wire brushes and sandpaper. I'm considering an inexpensive handheld sand blast unit (about $20) from Harbor Freight to reach just those inside corners. Experience or other suggestions please? Thank you. Don

P4082807.jpgP4082806.jpg

• Sawdust, hesterey3, reneeic1 and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 04:03 PM

I use a die grinder with a multitude of different wire wheels and heads, sand blasting in an open environment is a pain and illegal in most states. Good luck and be creative you will find there are many different ways to treat corrosion.
  • Tallbald said thank you

#3 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,105 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 04:18 PM

You could check with some of the heavy truck or body shops in your area and see if any do sand blasting.  Sometimes if you are not in a hurry a shop can add what you have to be blasted to pieces they are doing for themselves or other customers which makes it less expensive to get done.  We have one in the area where I live that does blasting one day every week or two and since they are already set up to do blasting a few small pieces do not take very long to do - just a suggestion. 

• Cvans, TomLGT195, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 04:54 PM

Thanks you all. I do have a die grinder and dremel type tool I will try. Don't know of any restriction on outdoor sandblasting in my area. I'm in the South and honestly we do a lot of things here the rest of the nation restricts LOL, like test firing new handguns in our back yard aimed down into the garden, burning leaves in the fall, burning paper trash out in the county, collecting rain water off our roofs for the garden, etc.. We do have a fair amount of industry here, but the plants seem to do their own blasting. Will see what I can come up with. I'm going to try to avoid chemicals.Thank you all again. Don.

Edited by Tallbald, April 08, 2016 - 04:55 PM.

• TheFarm2004, limebuzz and Cvans have said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 05:32 PM

The hard or impossible areas to reach I take a small bucket of blast media & use a blasting gun drawing from the bucket. The areas where the welds are I saturate with Rustoleum rust converter so it gets down into the crevices. It turns bare metal black but once cleaned up its paints up good.
  • TheFarm2004, limebuzz and Tallbald have said thanks

#6 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 05:40 PM

The small handheld sandblast unit would be excellent for cleaning up those corners. You will need sandblast hood and wear respirator under hood.

• Sawdust and Tallbald have said thanks

#7 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 05:55 PM

I'm tending to lean toward a handheld sandblast unit for quick inside corner prep. I have a 20 gallon 5HP compressor I believe would handle a few seconds blasting  between pump-ups, and provided I didn't try to do an entire hood or fender, might fill the bill. Harbor Freight has a couple units, one gravity feed and one suction feed for $20-$25 and one of the common 20% off coupons (with a free measuring tape!) would make that even better. Sure hope to avoid chemicals, and do understand the cautions to be taken with blasting. Thanks! Don.

#8 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:24 PM

I have done lots of sandblasting with many different size machines, those little harbor freight gravity feed guns actually work pretty good for what they are.  you can also take a heavy canvas and make a sort of shroud around where you want to blast.  you will be blasting blind but it will keep the dust and crap down and in a small area you wont be going for to long.

Pete

• Tallbald said thank you

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 08:20 PM

I saw a blasting tent I want to make when I find the frame.  They used an old swing set frame and draped a large plastic tarp over and around it.  Another tarp for the 'floor' retained all the media.  Definitely respirator of some kind in a closed area like that.

• Sawdust and Tallbald have said thanks

#10 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 09:09 PM

This is wonderful information and great ideas. Thank you so much all. Don

#11 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 11:20 PM

I use a small 12 volt dermal with small various wire wheels (yea I need some new ones) to get in the corners.  

Attached Thumbnails

• P1150758.JPG

• KennyP and Tallbald have said thanks

#12 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 07:03 AM

I'm tending to lean toward a handheld sandblast unit for quick inside corner prep. I have a 20 gallon 5HP compressor I believe would handle a few seconds blasting  between pump-ups,

Choose the blast media carefully.

Too large of media size will cause clogging in a small nozzle.  ...Too large of a nozzle will deplete air quickly.

Common bagged "play sand" may have large particles which will cause clogs.

Moisture in the media or air supply is your enemy!

For small areas as shown in your pics, I would consider using glass beads for the media.

• HANKG and Tallbald have said thanks

#13 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 12:39 PM

Thanks to each of you for the helpful suggestions. So looking forward to beginning. DOn

#14 pidjones ONLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 02:48 PM

Aluminum oxide is the best blast media. Sharper and faster cutting than glass, plus it doesn't turn to glass dust in the air when it hits. Harbor Freight also sells some plastic wheels (fit a 1/4" drill)  that have abrasive in the fibers of it. Good for areas that it can get to.

I use a Harbor Freight gun that is fed from a bag under it at work for cleaning some very small components. Avoid use of coal slag - it is pretty much a waste of time. Red Garnet is Ok, but not as good as Aluminum Oxide. Pressure needs to be at least 90 pis to be effective. Uses a LOT of air, though - the 20 gallon will be good for only a few seconds.

• limebuzz and HANKG have said thanks

#15 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 08:44 AM

I second the aluminum oxide