• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fordgmc OFFLINE  

fordgmc

• Member No: 2463
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 08:20 AM

I wanted to know if any one has any pics of repower case 400 series tractors.
Also any tips and tricks to make the install go beter . I bought a kit from SEW for my 446 vangaurd 18

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 06:39 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer your question...

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 08:34 PM

The only repowers that I have seen done on the Cases are diesel conversions. Did their kit come with instructions and a wiring harness? I have heard good reviews of their kits. Should be able to pretty much bolt it right up and wire everything up.
  • fordgmc said thank you

#4 fordgmc OFFLINE  

fordgmc

• 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for the shout back . I was hoping to get a little insite . Maybe ?

#5 fordgmc OFFLINE  

fordgmc

• 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 03:49 AM

I found some pics of a case 444 repower . It looked pretty good but I wanted to find a repowered 446 or 448 to see how they fit the hood as I understand it is a different install from onan to vangaurd
P1010235[1].jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010287[1].jpg
  • P1010234[1].jpg

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 04:17 AM

fordgmc,:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 05:42 AM

The pics you posted help a good bit. I don't know if the hydraulic tank reservoir was relocated like they have it. I know on the 448 and I am assuming it is the same on the 446 the hydro tank was tucked in to the dash tower. You should be able to most of the repower on the workbench. What all stuff did the kit come with?

You can do the pto clutch on the workbench along with also getting the hydro pump and lovejoy couplers together on the workbench also. The vangaurd looks to be about the same size as the Onans, maybe just a touch wider and there should be enough room under the hood.

#8 fordgmc OFFLINE  

fordgmc

• 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 07:14 AM

I think there is a missunderstanding these pictures are a guys tractor from another forum I found and this tractor is a 1975 that had a kohler in it. I will be in prosses of repowering my 446 case 1978 model sometime here soon . I was looking for input on simular projects that people have done replacing a onan with a vangaurd

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 07:21 AM

I think there is a missunderstanding these pictures are a guys tractor from another forum I found and this tractor is a 1975 that had a kohler in it. I will be in prosses of repowering my 446 case 1978 model sometime here soon . I was looking for input on simular projects that people have done replacing a onan with a vangaurd

I understood the 444 has a 14hp K series Kohler in it. You have a 446 which is a 16hp Onan. I was simply implying that the swap is going to be fairly straight forward and should be relatively easy. You are going to be able to do most stuff on the workbench other then connecting the hydro hoses, fuel line and wiring. The Vanguard isn't much different in size other then being a little wider. I have never done the swap and I don't know if anyone on the site has done that swap with that particular tractor. I am trying to give you the encouragement to tackle it, it shouldn't be that difficult of the re-power.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 07:22 AM

I also wanted to know what all came with the re-power kit?

#11 fordgmc OFFLINE  

fordgmc

• 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 07:33 AM

I bought my kit from Small Engine Wharehouse Small Engine Warehouse: 356447-1-Case446 - . I am deployed over in Iraq working as mechanic but a good neighber friend of mine going to do the swap for me . I bought the tractor for 450 dollars engine shot but tractor was not in bad shape .
I am very lucky my Dad drove 5 hours to Ohio to pick it up for me . My Dad and I love our case tractors he bought his new in 1977 and its still going strong !!!!!!!!!!!
  • cjg2283 said thank you

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 07:44 AM

I just took a look at their kit, they have the hydro pump bracket which is a plus. The Cases are one of the easiest to do a swap on, especially considering the hydro pump bracket is already there with the kit. The pto side looks like it will be a straight bolt up for the ez adjust clutch/pto. The hardest part is just making sure you have the clearance for the fan to hydro cooler which I really don't think will be a problem. The wiring might be different and that I can't help you with without seeing a schematic for the new wiring.

The Cases are great tractors. Thank you for serving our country :D

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 08:30 PM

...I am deployed over in Iraq working as mechanic...

Thank you for your service fordgmc! Hope to be picking up a Case 444 real soon. Hope your project goes well and that you get to come home real soon!

#14 Tom Thordarson OFFLINE  

Tom Thordarson

• Member No: 3376
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 09:34 PM

I found some pics of a case 444 repower . It looked pretty good but I wanted to find a repowered 446 or 448 to see how they fit the hood as I understand it is a different install from onan to vangaurd
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14304[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14303[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14305[/ATTACH]

Posted Image

#15 fordgmc OFFLINE  

fordgmc

• 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 11:18 AM

The stub shaft for the pto cltch is included in the kit