Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Not GT 12 volt related electical .......

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 07:52 PM

question for you electrical savvy guys. This involves my Minkota MX-65 trolling motor. The switch has gone bad in it and they do not make them anymore. I have spent several months checking everywhere for one and they just are not out there.

I can make it run by just putting in a on / off switch but then it would have no reverse in it. I can buy a Fwd Off Reverse switch from Northern tool. I would like to put a variable speed switch on it but a 110 volt will not work. Not sure if a 12 volt potentiator will work.

If there is another way to do this I would like to hear from some of you electrical experts on this.  It is 27 years old and I could buy a new one but don't want to spend that kind of money. Besides with all the snow and cold I can work on this in the warm garage. 

Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                     Roger

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 08:10 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...nFVzLjM&vxp=mtr

MINN KOTA-2064028-FORWARD-REVERSE-SWITCH-5-SPEED-COMBO MINN-KOTA-2064028-FORWARD
  • Alc, hamman, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 08:12 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...OVWyzug&vxp=mtr

• Alc said thank you

#4 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 09:14 PM

You could use a double pole , double throw toggle switch for forward and reverse, and put a potentiometer in the supply circuit for speed control. or you could use a double pole potentiometer on the output side.

Be prepared for some heat and lost efficiency and make sure the switches are rated for the amp draw. The motor or manual should say what the power requirements are.

You would want marine grade high amperage switch and potentiometer. Not cheap. Cheaper than a new trolling motor, and possibly cheaper than a replacement controller

Edited by Chopperhed, April 07, 2016 - 09:39 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 09:47 PM

Thanks Auburn David. I looked at those already and talked to Minkota to see if those would work and they will not. Bummer because there are a lot of those switches out there. Copperhead I found 30 amp switches but no potentiometer for 12 volt. Neither the manual or motor shows the amp draw. I will keep looking . Thanks I will go to the local marina tomorrow to see if they have a source for the switches and reostat.                                                           Roger.

• Chopperhed and Auburn David have said thanks

#6 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 09:49 PM

Is there a fuse in the circuit?

That would tell you the max amp draw of the motor.

• hamman and Chopperhed have said thanks

#7 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 09:55 PM

As an aside. The dimmer switch (potentiometer with a full power setting)for older chev trucks has a nice heatsink on the side.
The old workhorse stepvans I work on have them, and the part shows up as for a 94 sierra 1500.
  • hamman said thank you

#8 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 10:28 PM

I think a forward/ reverse solenoid for small winches would work w/ the proper amp rated potentiometer between it and the motor. I ordered one for my wheeler winch for about $38 off amazon and it came w/ the rocker switch to control it. It's compact, about 2"x5" has four posts for in and out power and the rocker switch wires have quik connects.

Mike 

• Alc, hamman and Chopperhed have said thanks

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 05:21 AM

Looks like you are on the rite track, I I am reading this correctly you are using a 12v motor and want a speed controller with a reversing switch.  for the reversing aspect of it have you looked at a winch controller.   http://www.ebay.com/...aFSL4ev&vxp=mtr something like this but a cheaper option, maybe not cordless.  that would give you a nice heavy duty reversing capacity then just find a good rheostat or 12v and you are back in business.

Just an fyi when I was trying to put this same sort of setup on my electric tractor I looked for awhile and all the options I found for a speed controller with a heavy duty capacity was really expensive.  for your application you may just want a foreward and reverse option.  good luck with it.

Pete

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 05:29 AM

I wonder if you could find a pulse width controller for you motor ? 

http://www.electroni...modulation.html

• hamman and Cvans have said thanks

#11 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 08:30 AM

WOW   !!!!!!   A lot of stuff to consider and look at. I like the PVM aspect and controller, I found one that is a all together unit that looks easy enough to hook up. I guess I need to see what the amp draw is on the motor and figure out if one of those will work. There is no fuse in line or after in this. There is a " Maximizer" in this motor to limit the amount of draw from the battery for extended life. I believe all that is good yet. To bad the simple switch went bad. When they made them they were $ 8.00 to replace. Thanks guys I will be doing some more investigation to see if I can get it going. The wires in the head and to the motor are big and I realize there will be a lot of amps. Thanks again I am not that up on electrical theory.                                                                                                                                                                                                               Roger

• Alc said thank you

#12 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 09:31 PM

A simple winch controller is easy, all you need is two relays that can handle the power, a DPDT toggle switch will handle the control circuit. The problem is the speed control. The PWM controller can do what you need, there are other options as well. cost is the big issue.