• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 10:22 PM

what product was applied before the paint? 

#17 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 11:20 AM

VALSPAR equipment enamel primer. I thought I had heard that Dealer-sourced IH paInt was a Valspar product so I thought that would be the best base. For some reason I can only find true CC yellow at the speakership. I have a few CC's around here now, I have plans to just get one mechanically sound for the work horse and redo the other with #3 being a donor to the other 2 because it came to me so incomplete. Being as how I have never seen tractor show judges come around with paint samples in hand to tell if your paint match is perfect, especially considering that I am planning to strip the paint to bare metal and paint it from the ground up, as long as my particular unit matches itself 100%, I do not care if I wind up with a machine that's 1/2 a shade off of what was used on it 40 years ago. I see them at shows all the time that are"off" a bit from what is right next to whatever one that I am looking at, at that instant.
I am more concerned about durability and being able to match the color in the future should that happen to be needed.
I was thinking of using either Safety Yellow or else School Bus Yellow. But due to my particular experience with "Iron Gard" I won't be using it when I redo mine.

#18 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 11:23 AM

Oh and I forgot to mention that the primer has never been a problem on my son's peeling Original. It stays fine, but the Iron Gard don't stick to the primer.
The primer has never peeled in all of the times we have had to redo the yellow.