#31 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 04:25 PM

Brian, Thanks for the pic help, my phone always spins them.

We stopped at our insurance agent today with a 5 page itemized list and they said even our $500 may end up getting absorbed with so much loss. My wife and I added things up, we were already over $10k, we still have to pay for replacement car titles, passports, and who knows what else, he said to keep receipts. Since we are living with my mom, we had a $60k personal property renter's insurance, never thought I would have to use it.
Brian agent said it will stay open for 18 months in case we find other stuff missing down the road.
TooMany, yes my welder and power washer were stolen in Jan from my old house around the corner. Mostly our fault we left the back door unlock several weeks in a row. I believe its the same person....and my old 85 truck sitting in drive got a BB to windshield within last 2 months so the perfectly good windshield gets replaced out of my pocket.
As far as the thief, we are suspecting my "disowned our family" nephew. Being big hearted, we let him live in our basement when he lost his military contract job back in 2012 for 5 months. Never paid rent, gave us little money, drove my car for 3 months rent free. Then we kicked him out in Nov and he left us some nasty grams in letters disowning us (filed a police report on those, may come in handy). In his ex-Army Ranger PTSD screwed up mind, he thinks we owe him. Bad part is, his has tons of special forces training and his hell bent on lifting weights and getting strong, he has a short wick temper. He is strong enough, a good shoulder to door he could have busted out the door jam.
Would I love to kick him to kingdom come, heck Yea, but he could easily hurt me bad... and I no longer have any guns so, the smarter head will prevail. All he needs to do is cash something in at a pawn shop, we find it and as long as they got his license, he can get caught. Officer told us he could get 8-10 with the several counts he committed, but have to prove it, hard to do.

We were out today and looked at a few new back doors. If I had known opening measurement probably would have purchased. It's gonna be an all day job of replacement, its an old farmhouse door which is 2"shorter than standard and has transom window above it so I will have to rebuild the entire thing, woohoo, I'm looking forward to that (insert sarcasm smilie).
My insurance agent was telling me of a local alarm company, they will monitor cameras and door alarms and allow me to install equipment so may check on that.
Thanks for advice on not using motion sensors, never thought of dogs setting it off.
I only got about 5 hrs of sleep and had a headache all day. Soon as my phone charges, I will be calling the credit companies and inform them. Already called BMV, $16 per title times 6. Also stopped at bank and they will flag any of our accounts for unusual activity.
Also looking into identity theft protection, so many choices with prices all over.
Frustrating!!!!
  • olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#32 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 04:30 PM

Don't think it was druggies. I think my nephew cased our house when he lived with us and when we moved, we didn't change things around. He knew what drawers to open, where our safe was, etc and whoever it was knew our Boxer, he would bite a stranger. Whoever it was also knew the inside of this house and was in less than 15 mins according to the clock and when my son got back home.
My biggest factor thinking it was him, he left a portable hard drive when he left, I had been using it and it was on my buffet, it was gone and only our jar of change was gone from there too. He knew what it was a wanted it back.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, MFDAC, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#33 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 04:45 PM

Sorry to hear about your grief.

Nail him to the wall if you can.

• TAHOE said thank you

#34 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 06:15 PM

Sorry about the break in. Hate a thief!!!  My wife has 2 small dogs and our motion sensor doesn't pick them up. I think our system says dogs under 60 pounds are good.

• TAHOE said thank you

#35 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Man, I'm so sorry! I've known you on forums for many years, you don't deserve this.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#36 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 06:38 PM

So sorry Marty.  I sure hope they nail the POS!

• TAHOE said thank you

#37 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 07:33 PM

Just found another item. I was using my Dewalt battery operated drill, went dead. Headed in the house where I had spare battery and charger, Gone! Now it's really personable, stealing a man's tools.

Replaced the old night latch on garage with deadbolt and a piece of plate. This weekend I will be getting some bar stock and making bars for the window.
Tip, if you need to enlarge a small look hole, clamp board on one side. Line up where the center of your new lock with sit and drill a small pilot hole in the center of the new board from opposite side board is clamped on. Then take hole saw and set it in pilot hole and begin drilling larger hole. It helps to prevent binding by chiseling out material as you go deeper. Once you get a 1/4" to 1/2" in door, remove the clamped on board and finish hole. Works great.
20160407_184630.jpg
20160407_190222.jpg
20160407_190339.jpg
20160407_195155.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, April 07, 2016 - 07:34 PM.

• Gtractor, limebuzz, MH81 and 10 others have said thanks

#38 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 09:00 AM

Some people with no morals Stealing is so wrong, but to steal from family members? Sorry about your loss.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#39 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 12:09 PM

I have no use for a thief. Since he stole firearms it is an instant felony.
  • MH81, WNYTractorTinkerer and TAHOE have said thanks

#40 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,316 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 04:43 PM

:(  :mad2:  :mad2:  :mad2:  :mad2:  :mad2:

Sorry this happens to anyone but its the sad reality we live in today.  

The worst part is that it's only getting worse.  The 'hoodies' have been frequenting homes in our area of late and fortunately some of them have been nabbed.

You lose your sense of security when something like this happens..  It is unsettling and rattles your nerves for sure..  

Batten down the hatches and I hope they nail the a-hole who did this despicable deed.. 

• TAHOE said thank you

#41 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 04:50 PM

I have no use for a thief. Since he stole firearms it is an instant felony.

Yes, one cop said he would have at least 3 felonies, could get 8-10 yrs if we could prove it.
  • olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#42 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:41 PM

I hope justice is served for you. It is just so distressing to read about this and it gets me thinking about how easy it would be for our own security to be violated. Even though no one wants this bad news to happen, thanks for letting us know it did.

DAC 

• MH81 and TAHOE have said thanks

#43 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 08:55 PM

So sorry this happened Marty. It sounds like you know exactly who this is. So many things I'm sure are going through your head. You & your family try to dwell on the good thing that no one was hurt or killed. It sounds like your enemy does have a vendetta against you. Be careful my friend & be wise. Praying that you & your family recover & find that same comfort in your home that you had before.

#44 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,497 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 09:22 PM

I've read this a couple of times today and boiled over each time. You help someone out and they step on your toes for doing it. 

Please give the police every shred of evidence you can think of and hopefully they will nail him.

Did they check for prints?

Good luck to you. 

#45 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 09:22 PM

Sorry to hear about this, Marty. I have several former military colleagues that are like you describe the likely culprit, fortunately they all know I'd open fire first , identify the body later, and there is always someone home. Hope you get justice, and really hope the rest of your family understands. 

• TAHOE said thank you