Garden Tractor Forums banner

Feeling vulnerable and violated

3K views 57 replies 37 participants last post by  TAHOE 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know some of you have went through this too, my son came home yesterday afternoon to a busted open back door, dog locked in a bedroom, TV downstairs missing and my wife and my bedroom was totalling trashed.
We are still making the list, but in general she lost almost all her jewelry, my 2 shotguns and .22 rifle, LED tv, WII game, money, and worst was our small suitcase type safe. It had all out birth certificates, SS cards, vehicle titles, antique coins and other irreplaceable items. I will be spending a lot time on phone today with credit bureaus, banks, CC companies. We have no evidence but think we know who did it (relative)from certain things that was stolen and our Boxer who was running in the house knew him. He also knew layout of the house so knew what to hit quick.
We know the exact time, when they busted the door, they knocked the battery clock off the wall and battery fell out. My son arrived home exactly 15 mins later and we think he scared them off since he was backing trailer in our side drive, he wouldn't have been able to see anyone on that side of house or in drive. There were patches in gravel by garage where they tore out of there in a hurry.
Very frustrating and just makes you feel very vulnerable in your own home. I have looked into cameras but never purchased. We may be looking into a security system also.
Here is the busted door frame, our bedroom,
And last pic is temporary repair until we can replace door or frame, steel flat bar up the door frame.
Wood Floor Couch Gas Picture frame
Wood Hardwood Composite material Flooring Plywood
Wood Fixture Floor Door Building

Property Wood Room Event Plastic

Sleeve Shipping box Wood Clothes hanger Fixture

Comfort Headgear Wood Linens Flooring

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know some of you have went through this too, my son came home yesterday afternoon to a busted open back door, dog locked in a bedroom, TV downstairs missing and my wife and my bedroom was totalling trashed.
We are still making the list, but in general she lost almost all her jewelry, my 2 shotguns and .22 rifle, LED tv, WII game, money, and worst was our small suitcase type safe. It had all out birth certificates, SS cards, vehicle titles, antique coins and other irreplaceable items. I will be spending a lot time on phone today with credit bureaus, banks, CC companies. We have no evidence but think we know who did it (relative)from certain things that was stolen and our Boxer who was running in the house knew him. He also knew layout of the house so knew what to hit quick.
We know the exact time, when they busted the door, they knocked the battery clock off the wall and battery fell out. My son arrived home exactly 15 mins later and we think he scared them off since he was backing trailer in our side drive, he wouldn't have been able to see anyone on that side of house or in drive. There were patches in gravel by garage where they tore out of there in a hurry.
Very frustrating and just makes you feel very vulnerable in your own home. I have looked into cameras but never purchased. We may be looking into a security system also.
Here is the busted door frame, our bedroom,
And last pic is temporary repair until we can replace door or frame, steel flat bar up the door frame.
attachicon.gif
20160406_163259.jpg
attachicon.gif
20160406_205243.jpg
attachicon.gif
20160406_182718.jpg
attachicon.gif
20160406_163500.jpg
attachicon.gif
20160406_163523.jpg
attachicon.gif
20160406_215809.jpg
One of the reason we moved from Ohio my mom had cousins that was druggies and they broke into our house and stole everything. Most of them are dead (overdose) or in jail now.

#4 ·
It's a shame you can't even trust family these days. Your in our prayers, God keep you friend.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Marty, I hope you can find out who is doing this to Y'all. We never found out who broke into our shop and got us for over $20,000 in tools and equipment. Make sure you take your time on the list and you will still find stuff 6 months from now that's missing and didn't make the list. Get on of the Security systems that uses cameras along with closure switches and you can get alerts sent to your mobile phone in real time now. With the dogs in the house, you won't be able to use motion sensors.

PRAYING for Y'all and the investigators on the case!!

p.s., I rotated your photos for you.

#6 ·
Nice repair on the door jam, you may want to back it up outside with a plate and use carriage bolts thru the jam with the blind heads on the outside. Maybe they will break their foot trying to kick it open next time!!

Wood Fixture Floor Door Building

Attachments

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am sorry you had to go through this. We had an overnight break in while I was away and the future-wife was home. We were in the middle of moving and I left her a rifle (M1a1) and loaded mag while I drove most of the stuff to our new home. She used it to confront the scum-bag and make him leave. [she went anti-gun for years afterwards b/c she realized how close she came to killing someone while defending herself]. The old place didn't feel as home-like afterwards . . .. and made the move easier.

Contact the Credit Cards companies and credit reporting agencies to advise them of possible identity theft issues so no new loans/cards in your name.

Experian 888-397-3742 - often will notify the 2 below for you

Equifax 800-525-6285

Trans Union 800-680-7289

#17 ·
So sorry to hear this, I know exactly how you feel and thinking trail cams for the whole property my self because it's getting worse. I have lost so many friends (the biggest lose of all in my world) because they got hooked on pain killer's and started stealing. Good people going bad and then O.D.I pray for them because they are lost (I'd still put em in jail,their just good at sneaky) and I pray for forgiveness so the dark they have left will not infect me for long or change who I am,I don't want to put trail Cam's up but the world has changed, I hate to say this but once it starts (stealing) it won't stop unless you protect your self

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
No one should have to go through this kind of experience. It happens every day and will continue to happen unfortunately. IF you decide to go with a security system, get one that will call your local law enforcement directly or has the alarm box right at the dispatch. Not one that calls a company half way across the country and then calls your home back to make sure it wasn't a mistake, THEN calls the local law enforcement. Sorry to say it proves the old saying "Locks were not made to keep people out, only to discourage them". If they want in bad enough they will get in.

When you start to replace your items, be sure to burn the boxes and don't let them sit around for others to see. The culprit may be watching for that box to know you just got that new TV.

#21 ·
I won't type what I'm thinking.

It's a shame anyone has to endure this!
I was thinking the same thing... I don't want to get flagged.!!

But anyway,, I'm so sorry for your'e loss and the trauma that it endures..

I think about this all the time at my cabin,,The locals know I'm not there alot. I did contact the local police one time about game cameras ,, and they told me that it may not be enough evidence to convict a perpetrator of a crime.. The police have to catch them in the act .. ( what a bunch of crap that answer was ) The local police dept. is 13 miles away, so even a alarm system connected to the local police seems fruitless..

I asked that if the picture of the scum bag is in my cabin, with things missing and a broken door,,, and they stopped me right there and said... NO one actually seen then take anything.. and you might be able to take them to court for trespassing...

Things like this make my blood boil and the perp. should be shot .. But like someone said,, now you look like the bad guy..

Years ago,, I had my garage broke into,, I told the police I was going to hook up the door knob up to 120 volt.. The cop grabbed his ears,,as if to say la-la-la-la... I didn't hear what you just said.. You can go to jail for that.... :wallbanging:

Again sorry for your'e loss and triple check the camera thing and security thing...

#23 ·
The laws protect the criminal all the way. got to make sure they get their "rights" even if they are not citizens, they still get our rights. But the victim is just SOL. Crooked Attorneys and Crooked Judges make for a crooked society. What a bunch of crap.

#25 ·
I feel for you man. This happened to us years ago. We were saving up for a good flute for my daughter (future music major) and had several grand put back. little did I know that it was in the house. Well I was with the band at a football game and my wife stepped out for all of 20 minutes. In that time, someone entered our house (someone left the back door unlocked) found the money for the flute (around 3 grand so far) found our strong box, got into it (lock no longer works, not sure how they did it) and took any silver certificates we had stashed. I had some bills in a big jar of change. They took the bills but left the change, and walked out. We wouldn't have even know anyone was in there if my wife hadn't tried to add more money for the flute. We're pretty sure we know who did it and they are not anyone familiar to us. Not a family member and certainly no friend. It's like this person knew right where to go and they had never been in our house. The insurance company begrudgingly wrote us a check for around $250 to cover the $3300 that was missing and they were all too happy to put us on high risk. Like I said, we have no idea who did this but I did verify with my next door neighbor that the guy who was renting the place beside us all of the sudden paid his back rent for the last several months, in cash the very next day. Hmmmm. I have no use for people like this. Needless to say, we keep NO cash in the house anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.