Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 05:34 AM

Maybe someone could explain this . Yesterday a fellow asked me to look at a weedwacker , he had it for years and it wouldn't start , not even a pop ,he had fresh gas , new plug , and saw getting spark . I pulled it a few times seemed to have plenty of compression ( hard to hold and pull ) I pulled the plug thinking maybe the crank seals were bad and it wasn't sucking the air/fuel but the plug looked like it was wet , gave it a shot of starting fluid right into the hole , then put the plug in , nothing  , Tried the same thing with a new plug , nothing .At this point maybe the timing is off ? Just trying things I put a few drops of motor oil using a tie wrap to dip it from the bottle , A shot of starting fluid in the intake , fired right off !! Ran it a few minute shut it off , restarted fine . Would that little bit of oil seal the rings to make that much of a difference ?

• Bolens 1000, Sawdust, davidj927 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 06:03 AM

I would think it was possible that it helped seal the rings. Those pistons aren't very big so it wouldn't take much. We used to fog diesel engines with WD40 to get them running after an engine replacement. Didn't seem like much but it was just enough to bring the compression up and get them to run,

• Bolens 1000, MH81, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 06:29 AM

It would bring the compression up, but I wouldn't think the effect would last long once it started.
Possible the rings were stuck and you made them loosen up?
  • Alc and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 07:49 AM

Using 2 cycle oil in the gas or straight gas?  Try a richer mixture of oil, like 32:1 or even 25:1.  Extra might make it smoke for a while but help with compression till the rings loosen up if they are sticky.  Good luck.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 08:34 AM

Like Chieffan said, a little more oil in the mix

• Alc said thank you

#6 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 04:03 PM

Carbon buildup makes everything stick to everything.Once an engine sits for a while the carbon deposits Swell up and make rings stick to pistons and clog exhaust ports and mufflers.

Moisture swells carbon deposits up to almost twice as thick after a couple of years.So you can see why valves would stick and rings would get stuck.It will suck up moisture like a sponge.

I usually spray PB Blaster in the spark plug hole and let them sit for a day and pull the muffler and check for heavy carbon deposits in the exhaust port and spark arrestor screen.You can also look into the exhaust port to inspect the cylinder.

• Bolens 1000, Alc and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 04:18 PM

I talked with the fellow today and it doesn't start again . He's bringing it to work tomorrow so I look at it again . I should check the compression first to have a baseline
  • propane1 said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 04:52 PM

My local shop has a backroom corner just full of piled up old weed-eaters.  He says after awhile not worth fixing them. Some didn't look that old really.  He keeps them around for maybe some cover or shaft parts to sell.  They don't put much time into them, the labor is more than the tool value for customers he says. See them all the time in rummage sales and such too.

• Alc said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 06:14 PM

My local shop has a backroom corner just full of piled up old weed-eaters.  He says after awhile not worth fixing them. Some didn't look that old really.  He keeps them around for maybe some cover or shaft parts to sell.  They don't put much time into them, the labor is more than the tool value for customers he says. See them all the time in rummage sales and such too.

can see that.  a few hours at base shop rate exceeds new replacement value for most of them.

• Alc said thank you

#10 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,519 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Probably needs tweaking like this. Scroll down to the weed whacker.
http://z8.invisionfr...ms/ar/t1531.htm

Edited by toppop52, April 07, 2016 - 06:25 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 01:54 PM

Just a follow up he brought the weed wacker in yesterday and when I pulled the plug I could see why it might start , after we he it running the first day he added Sea Foam to the gas and more oil through the spark plug hole , the plug had a nice coating lol . For reference i checked the compression and was 75-80 psi Cleaned the plug and fired on a few pulls and smoked like crazy . Tape the throttle open and left it run for about 10 minutes , shut it off then one pull to start he checked again that night and again today and started fine .