• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 msta999 OFFLINE  

msta999
  • Member No: 72720
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for all your help, I got it up and running, sounds great! I still have to pull the front wheels off and pack the wheel bearings and check the fluids in the transmissions and such. The bearings are new, but I will need grease seals, luckily I have a parts manual, hoping NAPA can do an interchange and get me the correct seal. Oh, I did operate the hydraulics and they work good, don't see any leaks yet! 

#17 msta999 OFFLINE  

msta999
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 10:13 AM

https://www.facebook...07841222419902/

Don't know if this will work, but I posted a video of the engine running.

#18 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,020 Thanks
  • 840 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 10:31 AM

Can't see the video no Facebook account.

#19 msta999 OFFLINE  

msta999
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 06:30 PM

I take it there is no charging system on these tractors? Anyone put something on to keep the battery charged?

Attached Files

#20 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,020 Thanks
  • 840 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 06:43 PM

There should be a charging system Kohlers have and alternator / stator under the flywheel it would be a 15 amp systemgenerally on the LH side of the engine same side as the starter there should be a spade connector plug with 3 slots 2 wires coming from behind the flywheel / bearing plate they are the ac leads from the stator the other wire is the ignition wire. the 2 wires from the stator go to a solid state rectifier voltage regulator from the VR a single wire goes to the ignition switch. There are a number of VR that work on the Kohlers the older models were mounted on the backside of the dash on the PK and the newer engines had them mounted on the engine blower hosing. heres a couple of pics 1 being the older style and 2 being the newer type 

1  .http://www.ebay.com/...p8AAOSws65ToTQx

2.  http://www.ebay.com/...JsAAOSwT5tWODRY

Edited by MNGB, April 12, 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#21 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,020 Thanks
  • 840 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:02 PM

Here's a couple of pics of the VR mounted on the tractor

1 older style on the dash  2 the newer type on the engine on the 2nd pic you can see the wires from the stator

HPIM0386.JPG HPIM2103.JPG

#22 msta999 OFFLINE  

msta999
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 10:53 PM

I finally figured out youtube! here is a video. I just installed a new fuel pump, but the filter is not filling up with fuel. I pulled out the petcock and removed the screen, which looked dirty. What do you think, does it sound ok? I don't have much excerience with these little engines, but it sounds like it may not be running quite right.

https://www.youtube....h?v=hMU2fgo2FFI

#23 msta999 OFFLINE  

msta999
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 11:21 PM

There should be a charging system Kohlers have and alternator / stator under the flywheel it would be a 15 amp systemgenerally on the LH side of the engine same side as the starter there should be a spade connector plug with 3 slots 2 wires coming from behind the flywheel / bearing plate they are the ac leads from the stator the other wire is the ignition wire. the 2 wires from the stator go to a solid state rectifier voltage regulator from the VR a single wire goes to the ignition switch. There are a number of VR that work on the Kohlers the older models were mounted on the backside of the dash on the PK and the newer engines had them mounted on the engine blower hosing. heres a couple of pics 1 being the older style and 2 being the newer type 

1  .http://www.ebay.com/...p8AAOSws65ToTQx

2.  http://www.ebay.com/...JsAAOSwT5tWODRY

Yes, I have that on mine, but when I disconnected the battery, it killed the engine. I'll check it when I get a good battery, I'm just using a jumper box right now.

Thanks.

#24 msta999 OFFLINE  

msta999
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 11:25 PM

Here's a couple of pics of the VR mounted on the tractor

1 older style on the dash  2 the newer type on the engine on the 2nd pic you can see the wires from the stator

attachicon.gifHPIM0386.JPGattachicon.gifHPIM2103.JPG

The one with the engine still in looks like my set up. Thanks.

#25 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,020 Thanks
  • 840 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 07:16 AM

Good Morning, the engine sounds fine to me, the fuel filter many times will not fill full of fuel as long as the engine runs its fine, the engine will stop if the battery is disconnect because it has what is called a battery ignition system it needs the battery for it to work its not self generating. As for charging use a VOM or voltmeter to see what the voltage is with the engine running it should be close to 14 V DC.

• msta999 said thank you

#26 msta999 OFFLINE  

msta999
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 05:27 PM

Ok, new problem. I did change out the hyd fluid and all was good for a while, but now when lifting the bucket, it gets a little jerky and will not lift much. I'm am thinking the pump is going out, but hoping it is something else! ;) When I filled the hyd reservoir, I filled it to about 4 inches below the vent plugs on top. it would be nice if they had put in some kind of gauge to see where the fluid is at.. Know of anyone who handles these hyd pumps? I haven't looked anywhere yet, this just happened yesterday.

#27 msta999 OFFLINE  

msta999
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 05:30 PM

Good Morning, the engine sounds fine to me, the fuel filter many times will not fill full of fuel as long as the engine runs its fine, the engine will stop if the battery is disconnect because it has what is called a battery ignition system it needs the battery for it to work its not self generating. As for charging use a VOM or voltmeter to see what the voltage is with the engine running it should be close to 14 V DC.

Thanks, I figured that out. I put a battery in and it is charging. It has been running good, other than the hyd problem it just developed.

#28 Glenn Ayers ONLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 06:09 PM

Ok, new problem. I did change out the hyd fluid and all was good for a while, but now when lifting the bucket, it gets a little jerky and will not lift much. I'm am thinking the pump is going out, but hoping it is something else! ;) When I filled the hyd reservoir, I filled it to about 4 inches below the vent plugs on top. it would be nice if they had put in some kind of gauge to see where the fluid is at.. Know of anyone who handles these hyd pumps? I haven't looked anywhere yet, this just happened yesterday.

Sounds like it's sucking air ... (not enough oil) < jerky.

With the cylinders all sucked in ... the oil tank should just have enough below full for expansion.

Could also sound like the pump won't pick up oil & prime it's self.

Cycle the bucket up & down many times with no load.  See it the air will work out of the system.

#29 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 08:55 PM

Also after checking the level watch the belt/pulley to make sure its not slipping , I've had both problems on mine

#30 msta999 OFFLINE  

msta999
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 09:47 AM

Thanks guys, I will check the belt, double check the fluid level and if ok, run the bucket up and down to max a  few times and see if that helps.

Last Sat I had it out on the back property (woods) and got stuck a few times, had to use the bucket to help get unstuck. seemed to work good then.  I'm going to need it to move gravel around in a little bit.