• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • Member No: 78207
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 07:33 PM

Because of bad cracks and rust that's mostly eaten through the seat pan, I will replace the seat and cushion on my 1980 L185. Several places sell them--some on Ebay, some storefront-looking retailers. Has anyone dealt with a supplier that they could recommend please? Too rusted to weld and have a sound, safe seat.Thanks. Don

P4062802.jpgP4012749.jpg

Edited by Tallbald, April 06, 2016 - 07:35 PM.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:03 PM

I have got one that is in much better shape than the one you have pictured. It is yours for the shipping if you want it. I would rather see it used than go to scrap. I will try to take the cover off of it in the morning and see what the inside looks like and get a pic of it.. Charles

• Auburn David and Tallbald have said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:59 PM

Yea..you need a better one..that one could be a Christmas play...The Nut Cracker(ohh there is a point I bet)

• Tallbald said thank you

#4 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:04 PM

Mrmr that sure is kind of you! One person on another forum said I could weld it paint it and it would be fine. I explained that gravity is a law, and I obey the law. I don't want to break through at a really bad moment! My wife said "honey if that was to break the rest of the way through you could end up hanging from your....well...you know!" And at 300 plus pounds and 6 feet 5 inches tall it could be a youtube moment. Don

Edited by Tallbald, April 06, 2016 - 10:05 PM.

• TheFarm2004 and Auburn David have said thanks

#5 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 02:19 PM

Tallbald, I got a chance to pull the cover and foam off the seat. There is a small amount of rot along the very front edge and otherwise, the seat is rust free inside and out. It shouldn't be too hard to form a piece if 1/2" x 14 gauge steel and pop rivet or weld in place. The offer stands if you get to that point. Of course, the cover is trash. Charles

#6 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 07:41 PM

Mrmr56 I sure appreciate you looking at the seat on my behalf. I've been looking too to see what padded heavy duty covers can be bought for a used seat. Most seem generic, like one I have from a farm supply store locally. It's hanging on my shop wall because it won't stay in place, twisting as I turn in the seat to watch the implements. Sorta bunches up like a cheap pair of underwear.

With thanks and gratitude to you, I am going to see if I can find an appropriate seat cover before asking you to send me the seat. As with the seat itself , a padded cover for me needs to be rugged, to support my 300 plus pounds and tall height. Any welding I have to do will have to be taken with me to Lexington KY across the state where my son in law has the MIG welder needed to do sheet metal.

For right now though, I want to thank you again for your thoughtfulness and offer.Don

Edited by Tallbald, April 07, 2016 - 07:42 PM.

#7 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 07:49 PM

Not a problem. I normally replace the seat as I don't care whether I am politically correct or not.  I want to be comfortable. I will keep the seat and put it away instead of taking it to the scrapyard. Have a great day and I hope you get the tractor lined out.

#8 Tallbald OFFLINE  

Tallbald
  • 72 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 10:38 PM

Thank you so much. I've looked forward to fixing up my tractor for a number of years. While I am physically still able to do this, I shall enjoy each small step of progress. Don

• Auburn David said thank you