• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,469 Thanks
  • 3,369 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 10:05 AM

I'm not a dyed in the wool country music fan, I'm more likely to listen to Jimmy Buffett than Little Jimmy Dickens, but guys like Merle crossed the lines of music, he, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Waylon, etc.,., had appeal to many none country fans. Their music was closely kin to music from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels. It wasn't all country, not rock, not really southern rock either, but just what I call American music.

• adamjd200 and propane1 have said thanks

#17 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 10:38 AM

I love the ipod! The hand-me-down setup I have can be played in any vehicle with an FM radio and a cigarette lighter wireless.

If you just want to listen to Merle, just pick him for the artist and that's what it plays, not what someone else thinks you should listen to like a radio station---even xm satellite. My wife has an xm subscription in her car but to me it makes more sense to spend the bucks on the ipod and put what you want on it. This pic is playing an ipod in my '55 GMC.

DAC

I have an MP3 player that I can use in the truck, I got the XM because I get sick of the local stations that seem to only play the top 20 over and over, I have several Merle Haggard cassettes in the truck already, BTW- an MP3 or IPOD is considered an handheld device in NY and they can ticket you for using one while driving.

• MFDAC and propane1 have said thanks

#18 easternharvest OFFLINE  

easternharvest
  • Member No: 80494
  • 154 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 11:04 AM

RIP Merle, grew up listing to him on vinyl.