• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 broguearcher OFFLINE  

broguearcher
  • Member No: 82002
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 09:35 AM

I have this old tiller that I picked up from my father. It's in rough shape but he says it was running several years ago. The problem I'm dealing with now is that I don't know how to correctly set up the throttle/Carb linkage. What's missing here?!

https://drive.google...sp=docslist_api

• francescamu11 said thank you

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:37 AM

Welcome to GTtalk.   Looking at the pic's it looks like the linkage goes to a governor so all you really need to do is make sure you get full throw with the throttle.  If you don't then you just need to adjust the housing of the cable until you do.  I'm not familiar with adjusting the governor on that engine so I will let someone more knowledgeable give the advice.

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 11:35 AM

I've got pictures of my linkages somewhere, but not sure where :wallbanging:

I agree, your throttle cable should be hooked to the outside butterfly on the carb if I remember correctly.

It also looks like the rod from the governor going to the inner butterfly plate is running behind stuff and maybe bent, I think on mine it's out outside and can float free.

I will try to find my pics or take a couple more this evening for you.

• HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 05:04 PM

Not sure, let me try. Throttle cable looks OK. Spring to the carb top link not sure. Thinking the governor arm there should have a stiff wire, which I can see the one end of on it, going direct to that top carb linkage?  Most govs are direct to that link on top of carb. THEN, maybe that spring link should be from that same top link back to the arm the cable is connected to to pull it open. See the cable pulls the arm, then spring should pull the carb top linkage, but the governor should move also, but be able to "float" the idle using the spring there to flex in and out.  Wonder if any manuals for this rig would even show the set-up?  Would think a manual would show how to set the system or at least have clean pictures.  Is that wire rod off the top of the gov lever just tucked back in on the engine somewhere OR is it connected to system and I'm not seeing? 

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 05:09 PM

I agree the gov wire link seems tucked away and not hooked up from what I can see. The throttle wire can't go direct to the carb, or would hold fast and not govern the speeds.  The spring to the carb might be wrong or worn/stretched and need replacement to be right.  Thinking the gov wire needs to go direct to the carb top cam. I answered on the other posting.  Some governors work with the throttle spring holding the throttle cam wide open till the engine starts and then immediately pull it back to the set speeds, all controlled then by the spring strength.

ONe thing to check if get running is if the gov needs adjusting at the pivot shaft going into engine. If former owner had trouble with it and diss-connected it because of issues, maybe that should be re-done. Any Kohler manual has procedure. Involves loosening the arme from shaft, holding throttle open (which isn't connected right then at moment) and turning the shaft with screw-driver and tightening the gove arm clamp again. Better find it in the manuals. Should be some here to see/print would think.  Governor wire link to throttle seems to be the major issue here to me.

Edited by glgrumpy, April 06, 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#6 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 07:16 PM

Looks like there is a link between the governor arm and the throttle which is correct.

The governor spring between the throttle cable and the carb throttle is not correct.

The throttle cable should pull on the governor spring that should be hooked the the governor arm.

Garry

#7 broguearcher OFFLINE  

broguearcher
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for all the input! I'll look it over again with your help in mind and see if I can create a solution. I'd love to get this beast running again it's a well built machine.

#8 broguearcher OFFLINE  

broguearcher
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 06:28 AM

After the past few weeks I've unsuccessfully tried a number of times to find pictures online of someone with the same model and a correct set up. Also can't seem to locate a manual that details the correct set up. As near as I can tell this model was built around '76 or '77.

Here's a pic off the stamped metal plate on the engine. Says model HH-60 105079D

#9 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 08:34 AM

Found the parts list but don't think it will help you

https://www.partstre...izontal-engine/

You can zoom in on it.

Don't see the exact same setup in these SM's either

http://www.wheelhors...=downloads_file

There is a good chance the throttle controls were supplied by Troy Bilt so they may be in their manuals.

Garry

• HDWildBill said thank you

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 08:48 AM

There are a lot of different governor configurations in this manual.  http://gardentractor...e-service-info/

• HDWildBill said thank you

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 07:24 PM

Sorry for no pics last night, my house getting broke into kind of side tracked me a bit.
Anyway here are pics of mine, a little different, but concept is the same. What I am seeing on yours is that your govenor rod should be on the outside and in the upper hole on the throttle plate where it looks worn. That plate should be up against the screw stop at idle. I think it is working backwards for you right now. I am also seeing the outside choke butterfly is missing a separate control or a rod connecting it to the throttle somehow.
If you get me the numbers on the flat pad on the transaxle right below where the handles are screwed in above the axle, I can tell you the month and year made.

20160407_200705.jpg
20160407_200832.jpg
20160407_200908.jpg
20160407_201027.jpg
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#12 broguearcher OFFLINE  

broguearcher
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 08:55 AM

Thanks again for the replies. I'll look at the issue today and see if I can get it corrected.