18 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 09:34 AM

I am new with Cub Cadet Tractors.  I have one, an LT 1018 I bought with a blown motor, good deck but needing wheels and blades.  Got it for $50 plus a 70 miles trip one way.  Good running machine now and have a little over $300 with good engine, new deck wheel & blades plus some other odds and ends.

Coming up on an auction from a private owner are 3 Cub Cadet tractors, all non running.  One nothing is said about it. 

Another is a 1512, not running.  Have found out it should have the d600 Kubota diesel and has a 50" deck.  Believe it should have a 3 point also.  Are these a good tractor when running and what would be a decent price to pay for one when little is know about it - other than it don't run?

The third is a 1872 with deck not running.  It should have a Kohler 18 hp engine.  Is this a decent tractor when running and again, what would be a decent price to pay for one with little known other than - not running?

Looking to possibly purchase one or both (depending on the price) as fix and flip projects.  May even keep the larger one and sell the LT 1018.

A good friend is the clerk for the auction family and will find out what he can but would be helpful if he and I  knew what questions to ask.  Thanks much for your input.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#2 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 12:50 PM

The 1872 is what cub considered a super garden tractor, its a good bit bigger than the regular gts. The 1872 will have power steering and dual hydraulics and are a fantastic tractor if you can get it running, on thing to check on the Magnum 18 is the governor as they were pron to failure if they weren't pinned according to the service bulletin. To check the gov pull the oil fill cap and look down in with a flashlight and you will be able to see the white plastic gear, if you can't see the gear then the engine will need to come completely apart to repair it. No more than $400 not running

The 1512 is a diesel and any diesel cub is highly sought after, the parts are crazy expensive if you buy them from cub but not to bad if you buy directly from Kubota. Up to $1000 would be far for a non running diesel, if it does in fact have the 3 point then its worth $400 all by itself.

Edited by olds45512, April 06, 2016 - 12:52 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 01:00 PM

Thanks a bunch for that information.  I have a Kubota B 7100 HST-D so familiar with the diesel engine. We are in the middle of real rural AG country so hopefully won't be anyone there that is really interested.  A couple dealers in the area (60 mile radius) sell only the lawn tractors in the Cub line.  Will try and go look at them before the auction.  I have knee replacement on Wednesday the 13th and the auction is next Saturday the 16th so doubt I will be going by then so will have to do a blind bid on it.  thanks again for the info.

#4 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 06:45 AM

Wishing you the best on your knee replacement! 1512 replaced the red 782D. I know several collectors that own and or built their 982D (never was in production). They took the two models you mention and created what you see in the pic...982D Super

Attached Thumbnails

• 399561_347808191898151_915162046_n.jpg

• chieffan said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:33 AM

Thanks BNK.  That is a nice, mean looking tractor.  How is the deck capacity on these tractors?  A lot of decks look good from the outside but don't have the capacity to handle any heavy grass.  Best configuration I have found is deep in front and shallow in back.  From photos these appear to be that way.  Any comments?

#6 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 12:48 PM

Supers up to a 60" Haban. The one in the pic looks to be the 50".

#7 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 06:41 PM

I'll say this cause i know you like bolens i just sold all my large frames for this 1512. I paid 1500 for the tractor running needing a lot of work came with a newer 50" deck and cat 0 3 point. i have about 700 into it right now in repairs.

Comparing this to my 1886 i sold. I prefer the 1512 the cat 0 hitch has a lot more adjust ability in it and you can't beat the pur of the little 3 cylinder kubota. i also prefer the smaller size as the 1886 was way to big for my lawn anyways.

DSC_0549.JPG

#8 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • Member No: 81045
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 10:23 PM

Wishing you the best on your knee replacement! 1512 replaced the red 782D. I know several collectors that own and or built their 982D (never was in production). They took the two models you mention and created what you see in the pic...982D Super

That's my former 982D.  It was originally a 1572 powder coated red.  There's a couple dead giveaways on it.  I miss it.

• BNK said thank you

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,708 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 06:10 AM

How is the deck capacity on these tractors?

Supers up to a 60" Haban. The one in the pic looks to be the 50".

My BIL's 50" on his 782D cut very nicely, but speed had to be kept down in really tall grass. The 60" Haban deck available with the Supers is a grass eating monster.

• BNK said thank you

#10 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 08:02 AM

That's my former 982D.  It was originally a 1572 powder coated red.  There's a couple dead giveaways on it.  I miss it.

You sent me that pic several yrs ago when I was active on another forum...couldn't remember if it was a conversion or a 1572. Is it still in KY, near Richmond maybe? To me it's one of the most sweet lookin Super's I've ever seen so I know you miss it. Did you ever get to take it to Ball Hollow PD?

#11 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • Member No: 81045
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 08:09 AM

I know it's not with the guy who I sold it to but I think it's still in KY or near.  I've bought and sold a lot of cubs but selling that was a huge mistake.  I hope to own another diesel someday.

• jpackard56 and BNK have said thanks

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 02:45 PM

Finally getting out and about some after the new knee went in about 4 weeks ago.  If anyone has some extra energy I could sure use a bunch.  Have had the 1512 up and running and did a little mowing just to drive it around some.  Hydro work good, just have to have the rpm up a little for reverse to work.  Deck cut decent but didn't get into any real grass.  Main problem is the hydraulic lift is not working.  Could see it move jut a bit and nothing else.  No engine pull down or anything.  Removed the deck the other day and have the tractor up on the work table now.  That is one heavy tractor to winch up on the table.  Removed the back wheels this morning so I could get at the brakes.  Left one is out of adjustment and the right one is missing the clevis, rod and spring.  Will get them parts made up and get the brakes working again.

New battery should be here tomorrow.  Has a 275 cca battery from BBS and that is not enough to turn that diesel over fast enough to start it, unless I hook up the booster pack.  Will get it running with the rear end up on jack stands and start to check out the hydraulic situation.  Will crack one of the lines at the front pump and should have pressure there.  Then move to the cylinder and then control valve.

Still looking for a WSM for this tractor, or one that would fit the bill close but no luck as yet.

• jpackard56 said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 02:54 PM

Could have some air in the system.

#14 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 03:33 PM

Those gt style batteries were marginal at best in them even from the factory.  Till you glow the engine and then try and start it the battery is close to dead if everything is not in top shape.

New battery should be here tomorrow.  Has a 275 cca battery from BBS and that is not enough to turn that diesel over fast enough to start it, unless I hook up the booster pack.  

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 08:02 AM

Could have some air in the system.

That is what I am thinking and hoping for.  May get to it later this afternoon after PT.  New battery I have coming has 400cca.  Didn't ask the price as it would not make any difference.  Got to have the cca to turn that engine over after glowing it for a bit.