• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • Member No: 82091
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:08 AM

I finally sold the zero turn and purchased a 1974 economy tractor. It has a new mowing deck and seems in overall good condition. No hydraulics as I will primarily be mowing with it. It has an hour gauge that reads 886 hours. I don't know how accurate those are on a 40+ year old tractor. I have been in contact with KennyP as to purchasing a ish drive from Larry Goss. What should a new owner focus on first?m as far as maintaining the trsctor? Fluids, spark plug, decarbon engine etc? I am somewhat handy but this would be my first time opening up an engine if I were to decarbon it. So any help would be appreciated. Also my first time posting here so thanks in advance for your patience and direction. I'll see if I can figure out how to post pictures.
  • Genem and MNGB have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:12 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Pic help is in the link in my signature!

• MNGB said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:27 AM

Congrats on the new purchase.  It's very unusual for a person these days to get rid of a zero turn in favor of an older tractor of any make.  Warning, you may get a lot of strange looks from the neighbors.  You will also like the manual lift for mowing.  I always preferred it because I could lift the deck much faster than the hydraulics can when I came up on a high root or something.  The decks are very easy to lift too with the helper spring attached.  Anyway, the first thing I would want to do is to drain the tranny in case there is any water in it.  If you know the tractor has always been inside, it may not be a problem but better safe than sorry, right?  There is a threaded plug on the bottom where you can drain the oil.  When you refill, use only a half pint of gear oil or gear oil/STP mix.  Something good and thick as it will help with the shifting.  When these trannys are filled properly, you should be able to put your little finger in the side hole, bend it down and just touch the top of the oil.  This job is not the easiest task with the sheet metal on but it's worth a good try before getting into taking the sheet metal off.  With no hydraulics, it's a much easier job but still.  Of course change oil and then give it a try.  If the previous owner thought enough to put a new deck on it, then I would say he takes care of his equipment.  Fresh fluids and then use it for a while.  Get used to it and then you'll be able to take it to the next level.  These old PKs will tell you what they need, you just have to listen.

Oh, and post the serial number of the tractor if you don't mind.  Let's be sure you have a 74.

• Alc, boyscout862, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 07:10 AM

Welcome to GTT. That is a fine old tractor. Download the manuals from our Manuals Section(its free). The Owners' Manual will guide you through the routine maintenance and use of the tractor. The Engine Manual will show you how to do engine repairs. If there is a Shop Manual for the PK, it will show you how to do repairs on the tractor. There should also be a manual for the mower deck.

Get the tractor running as best that you can without getting inside the engine. If it runs fairly well, even if it smokes abit, don't take the engine apart. Add Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) to the gas. This will slowly disolve the carbon in the engine and will free up the rings to increase compression and decrease smoking. I've done it many times with older cars. By a cheap smoker, tune it and any other repairs to make it safe. I then ran it for 3 to 6 months with MMO in the gas. The smoking would stop  and the engine would run much stronger. Because I'm in CT, the body would then rot out in a few years.

I use MMO in all of my gas engines and have been since 1967. Good Luck, Rick

• David Brown and MNGB have said thanks

#5 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:07 AM

Here are some pictures. I tried to flip the wheel around as I like the look of them being closer under the fenders. They would not fit. Looked like the brake was in the way. A are these aftermarket wheels? AM I doing something wrong. Thank for all the helpful info so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0406160648b.jpg
  • 0406160647.jpg
  • 0406160648c.jpg
  • 0406160649a.jpg
  • 0406160649b.jpg
  • 0406160649.jpg
  • 0406160648a.jpg

• Alc, David Brown, Traill95 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:08 AM

Serial number 32356

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:26 AM

Very nice looking pk, I am envious!!!

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Holy cow is that a nice looking PK!  You did good.  It is indeed a 1974 as confirmed by your serial number.  If the wheels interfere when turned around then they must not be original.  The original wheels can be turned either way with more than enough clearance.  Man, you gonna look good mowing on that this summer!

By the way, the hour meter is not original.  None of the metal body tractors came with hour meters.

Edited by David Brown, April 06, 2016 - 09:02 AM.

• Alc, MNGB and oldbamaguy have said thanks

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:30 AM

NICE!!!

#10 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:30 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#11 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 12:04 PM

Thanks. I emailed to guy I purchased it from and he said wheels are from a case 446. Anyone know where I could get some originals?

#12 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 12:38 PM

She's purty!

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 01:09 PM

Hi Rocket, that is a nice looking PK you did good, as others have posted don't worry about decarbonizing the engine, correct spark plug is a Champion H10C gap is 0,035" Kohler recommends 30wt cap= 2 qts if this site doesn't have the Kohler manual you can get them off the Kohler website  go there and enter the engine model etc. Don't open up the engine there is no need for that also as posted check and service all the gearbox's trans rearend final drives.

And a big welcome to the group and to Power King ownership great tractors.

PS the rear 16" wheels are the same as used on some farm tractor front wheels and some farm implements just make sure they are wide enough for your tires. I have one tractor with them set out it has a FEL and like the added stability of them out other one has them in. 

Edited by MNGB, April 06, 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#14 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 01:41 PM

That is one nice tractor, I have always wanted one like that! Good luck and have fun, you will have a few more by this time next year. Welcome to the most addictive hobby you could find.

#15 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 01:44 PM

Hey I was just looking at the pics again and have a question where in heck is the battery??