Power King with Tiller Attachment

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sharkman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 34759
  • 142 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 10:59 AM

OK, so I’m in a small crowed, not many of us who think the Plastic Power Kings are the best thing since sliced bread.  I picked up this 1220HV last year and have been shaking it down slowly ever since.  (that’s why the body isn’t on it)  Shows almost 900 hours on the meter and the Command 20 runs great.  It has a small oil leak that I thought was the front seal (so I replaced it) but look like it’s leaking for the cover plate by the starter.

I purchased a rear PTO kit from Mission and the tiller.  They truck shipped it to a nearby terminal for me.  Everything is NOS and I put it together and worked an area I had two trees stumps removed to mix the soil.  It works great.

Just try to find a picture of a 1200 series with a tiller attached.  They are far and few between.  So take a look and enjoy!

The last series of the 1200 tractors had power steering and the largest motor of any 1200.  It’s a great tractor.  I have also picked up a 48” plow, a NOS sleeve hitch and weight platform.  It came with a 48” deck.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4290.JPG
  • IMG_4291.JPG
  • IMG_4292.JPG
  • IMG_4203.JPG

Edited by sharkman, April 05, 2016 - 11:00 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc, Delmar and 4 others have said thanks

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,138 Thanks
  • 2,270 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 11:36 AM

Not completely true.  Many of us who think poorly of the plastic tractors only include those that are gear drive and 17hp KT17.  If you can get any other horse power and hydro drive, you have a very nice machine that should last you years.  You'll have a great tractor when you get everything done the way you want it.  Looking good with that tiller.

• Gtractor, Username and MNGB have said thanks

• Member No: 62466
  • 926 Thanks
  • 793 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 12:40 PM

Hi sharkman, I agree with David brown, I think the Plastic King can and are good tractors as lomg as its not the gear drive, there is a Snapper / King over in Wi I would really like to have but don't want to drive to Wi and back, I thenk they are nice looking.

• Username and David Brown have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,517 Thanks
  • 6,380 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 04:17 PM

We like plastic here too. BUT, the hydros are the ones. The 1200 series had hydros earlier than the bigger ones. They are still a nice size tractor. I was unaware of that new of ones myself. You have the 20hp and three piece hood, so must be a real late model. I've had one-piece hood  and thought those were the end. Another suprise. AND, first PK tiller I've seen that isn't that long reach shafted kind that went way under tractor to front pto. Guess I'm a little behind on the changes.

#5 sharkman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 34759
  • 142 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:39 AM

Yes, the 1200 three piece hoods kept up with the 16 and 24 inch tire models to the end, 1998-2000. The command 20 serial number in mine is 1997.  I think the manufacture (HHC Inc, 1501 1st Ave Mendota IL) was trying to standardize the three models by adding power steering to the 1200 series in the final years.  From what I seen, list prices were just north of $7k.

Snapper also offered the 1200 with the three piece hood (see attached brochure).

The tiller set up in somewhat "out of this world".  One belt from the EMC upfront drives a shaft that runs through the side of the frame (very close to the starter bolts and lift weldment) it is too tight in my opinion.  To a second belt from the back of the drive shaft to a double pulley the runs another belt up and over the hitch to the tiller.

So, to run the tiller you needed 4 things, the rear PTO, pulley group, tiller hitch and the tiller.  Together this listed for around $2,000.   

Some interesting engineering for sure.

Edit, Doesn't look like the 24" tire made it into the 3 piece hood models. 

Attached Files

Edited by sharkman, April 06, 2016 - 10:51 AM.