Bucket Loader Teeth

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 05:43 PM

What do you guys think about this idea? I just picked up these old Blade Guards from a old junked Sickle Mower and was thinking about using them as Teeth on My Farmall Loader Bucket. they Sit on the Lip of the Bucket Perfectly.
My driveway is Gravel / Dirt and i think it would be very useful to be able to Grade / Scrape the High Spots....like a York Rake...as well as obviouisly getting a better Grip digging into whatever I' picking up.
I'm sure I'm not the first one who's ever thought of dong this, has anyone ever seen it done before? Any reason why it wouldn't work well?

Attached Thumbnails

• Teeth 1.jpg
  • Teeth 2.JPG
  • Teeth 3.jpg
  • Teeth 4.jpg

Edited by DanO, May 05, 2011 - 03:56 PM.

#2 matts OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2175
  • 48 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 07:59 PM

I know I have replaced a ton of those that have never hit the ground. The tend to break easy. Might be ok if your careful.

#3 Rickski OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 08:02 PM

I like the idea, and wonder if heating them red hot and air cooling would anneal them enough to prevent breaking.
  • DanO said thank you

#4 Rednecklawnmower OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1747
  • 1 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 08:07 PM

This is perfect for picking up manure(cow,horse,goat and other poo mixed with old hay) but i wouldnt recommend this for hard dirt or rocks.
  • DanO said thank you

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,248 Thanks
  • 29,700 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 08:18 PM

On a mowing machine, simply riding over a rock without down force & they bend. If you harden them too much, then they'll snap off. I don't think you'd be happy with them in the end.
  • DanO said thank you

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 01:47 AM

Dan and redneck are right, you will not be happy with them.
If it was a bucket on a medium or light frame GT and you only used it for light duty stuff, then you might get away with it.

The grade of steel used for things like sickle bar teeth is not very receptive to proper heat treating to give you better results either.
Off the top of my head, I think A534 is what normaly gets used for blades, buckets, and teeth. But there are many other alloy steels that would work good.
  • DanO said thank you

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 07:27 AM

Well I certainly appreciate all the advice on this guys. I Guess what SURE LOOKED like a Good Idea just isn't so and I am very glad I asked before going ahead and bolting them on the Bucket. Thanks very Much for the wise advice.
Gotta say, I'm really surprised that they would be so weak, As you can see they are marked FORGED FS 85 2 on one side and U KING C30 on the other side... Whatever That Means??
And they are kinda Beefy...I totally understand the Blades being weak but these Guides or Guards don't appear to be that weak
Well, Anyway, I'm sure you guys know better than me, Other than My David Bradley Sickle Mower, I have never even used one before.... .Oh well, I think probably ,I will be abandoning this "Great Idea"....although , I still might bolt them to a Flat piece of steel and make a Drag Harrow to use with my David Bradley, I think that would be somewhat useful & functional. Without any Down Pressure, perhaps they would hold up better. I think that's worth a shot.....kinda Bumed Out about this, they look so darn good on the Bucket....I realy thought I was onto something there....
I just hate Like Hell to throw these things on the Scrap Metal Pile.

Attached Thumbnails

• FS  85  - 2.jpg
  • U.KING K  C30.jpg

Edited by DanO, May 05, 2011 - 04:50 PM.