Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Problems with a Briggs 9.5 OHV snowblower motor.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 08:45 AM

I picked this 9.5 hp Briggs motor up to mount onto my wood splitter. Well let me tell you it has me pulling my hair out. When I bought it from the guy who was selling it he started it up and let it run for me.I figured it sounds good and starts good. He said he just added sea foam into the gas tank plus new gas. After getting home I figured I'd let it run for awhile and let it burn the gas out that was in the tank then add new stuff. I started it up fired up on the first pull and proceeded to let it run.It ran fine for 5 minutes then it died for a few seconds and started back up. Now this is what it keeps doing it will start up fine and run for awhile then shut down for a few seconds then it'll start running again then do this all over. I've pulled the carb soaked it for a couple days in heavy duty parts cleaner etc: cleaned it up and put it together started the motor and it still does it.Now seeing its the newer style motor there's no carb adjustments its that new epa stuff. The motor still dies and shuts down for a few seconds.I went and bough a new coil because I figured it was breaking down and letting the motor do this.New coil didn't make any difference it still does the same thing.Gees what am I missing ,I've worked on small engines etc: for many years and this one has me stumped. Anyone have any idea as to what I'am missing. BTW I've diconnected all the kill switches etc: to make sure they aren't the problem. The best way to describe it is that when its running its as if someone turns off the switch for a few seconds then turns it back on.What am I missing.Never ran into a problem like this before.

• fernandofr4, eloiseqg3, debbieox4 and 1 other said thanks

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 08:49 AM

???  Is it getting enough fuel to the carb?  

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 09:08 AM

???  Is it getting enough fuel to the carb?  

It sure seems like it because when it fire's back up it blows black for a second or 2.The strange part is that it will run good for a minute or 2 then act up or it will run for 5 min before acting up or will run for 15 sec the act up.Cleaned the fuel tank took out the screen in the fuel tank have a new fuel filter in line. Had the carb off a few times making sure float moves properly with no binding checked all jets and orifices with fine wire plus blew them out. I'am sort of out of ides as I've been trying many different things over the course of the last couple weeks.

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 09:37 AM

I had a Wisconsin on a GT that did that same thing last year.  Found that after running the gas soaked up the seal in the gas cap and closed off the vent hole.  Enlarged the vent hole in the seal and problem was gone forever.

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 09:54 AM

Could be the vent in the gas cap, as said. Loosen the cap to let some air in and see if that changes any thing.

Noel

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 10:09 AM

I ran it with the gas cap removed and it still did the same thing.What I haven't done yet was to replace the fuel line's. That's my next thing to do.

#7 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 859 Thanks
  • 491 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 11:29 AM

Check the valve clearance.  I've seen little scooter engines act similarly if the exhaust valve is too tight.

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 01:01 PM

Some of those engines also have Low Oil Shutdown.

Dump the sea foam fuel out yet?I don't use that stuff.Figured this new gas has enough alcohol and water in it allready,That's basically all that sea foam is.It steam cleans the combustion chamber and the isopropyl alcohol breaks down deposits (and your rubber parts) in carbs.

#9 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 983 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 06:13 PM

If it's blowing black smoke when it starts up again I'm guessing it's an ignition problem.

Mike

#10 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 08:09 PM

I've had enough of this motor just going to scrap it out it's going to cost more to buy parts to try and get it going compared to buying a new one.

• propane1 said thank you