• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,062 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:09 PM

I picked this up, thinking I will use it. I put it to the fire and it built up pressure and held it nice with no leaks. My issue is the pressure gauge. at one time you could have them checked at the county extention, but no longer in this state, budget cuts they said when I called. Then I was reading up on canning, and was informed that it is best to have even a new one tested. SO..... anyone know how to home test the gauge on a pressure canner? IMG_2253.JPG IMG_2250.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2251.JPG

Edited by karl, April 04, 2016 - 04:11 PM.

• elenaoi16 said thank you

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:23 PM

if you have a locale tank shop (welding) they should be able to test it against there master gauge.  not sure what they would charge, I would think they would do it for almost nothing when they had a tank to pressurize.

Pete

• Alc and karl have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:31 PM

Wouldn't worry about it unless your worried that your pop off valve isn't working correctly.Most pressure cookers are designed to hold a steady 15psi of steam pressure.

If there is any doubt that your gauge is accurate I would just replace it.You can pick up a good quality gauge for $15-20.

http://www.amazon.co...nd Cooker guage

• Alc, karl and Auburn David have said thanks

#4 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:22 PM

The only way to really test it is against a known good gauge, or send it out to an instrumentation shop.

Any local shop dealing with pressure testing should be able to do it.
  • karl said thank you

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:43 PM

Seems like the ones I was around didn't even have a gauge. Just a round weight that had a number of holes in it. which hole you placed over the nipple on the lid determined the pressure it would can at. 

Similar to this  Mirro-Matic-396M.jpg

Pressure cookers are nothing to mess with. There are some horrible photos out there of what can happen if the caner ruptures.  

• EricFromPa and karl have said thanks

#6 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 12:45 AM

Yep that's like the one we use for canning but alot bigger Chris The good ole jiggler

• Cvans said thank you

#7 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 05:27 AM

For many years now the Presto pressure cooker has had a safety plug that will pop out if too much pressure builds up. Its a safety feature. The Presto has been the stove top still for ages and safety plug is a must if user does not have a slobber box on his condenser line.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#8 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • 1,062 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 06:10 AM

Seems like the ones I was around didn't even have a gauge. Just a round weight that had a number of holes in it. which hole you placed over the nipple on the lid determined the pressure it would can at. 

Similar to this  Mirro-Matic-396M.jpg

Pressure cookers are nothing to mess with. There are some horrible photos out there of what can happen if the caner ruptures.  

I have one of those, you can make a boot tender enough to eat with one!

• Cvans said thank you

#9 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 12:29 PM

I have one of those, you can make a boot tender enough to eat with one!

They sure will.I cooked up a few groundhogs in 1 about that size when I still lived down at the farm.They get super tender.Still a bit stringy but actually really really good eating if you simmer it in some good spicy home made BBQ sauce afterwards to get rid of the gamey taste.

We were always shootin the little buggers and cooking them up for the dogs.They loved it even without BBQ sauce lol

#10 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • 1,062 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 03:44 AM

They sure will.I cooked up a few groundhogs in 1 about that size when I still lived down at the farm.They get super tender.Still a bit stringy but actually really really good eating if you simmer it in some good spicy home made BBQ sauce afterwards to get rid of the gamey taste.

We were always shootin the little buggers and cooking them up for the dogs.They loved it even without BBQ sauce lol

My uncle has a dairy farm, it is a right of spring to clear the fields of ground hogs, their holes and cows are a fatal mix. A sharp whistle to get them to stand, and a .22 to get them to lay down. And to the pressure cooker they go.