16 replies to this topic

#1 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 03:58 PM

My first Bolens, H16xt i had asked about earlier, with the help of the members here i figured out what i was looking at.  Brought it home on my rusty sled trailer, the old farmer who owned it pretty much insisted on driving it up the ramps.  i was just going to crank it up with the winch but it runs and drives fine

DSCN2297.JPG

Bonus points if you can id the tow vehicle.  hint, it refers to my screen handle.  I am hoping this will be the final tractor run of this trailer which was featured a couple of times in other threads.  will retire it to yard/dump use after this.

My new ramps squeezed in between the deck & tires, made it home fine on some bumpy roads at 55 mph

DSCN2298.JPG

Beauty shot from the front.   FMC sure made a cool lookin machine imho

DSCN2299.JPG

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:01 PM

Crown vic.
  • Oldford said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:04 PM

Car looks like a Crown Vic. That is a very nice trailer. Consider restoring the trailer. I would. GT looks nice. Good Luck, Rick
  • Oldford said thank you

#4 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:15 PM

The motor is supposedly new from 1996 and sat in a barn for the past 11 years.  Looks original to me but being my first bolens what do i know

DSCN2303.JPG

i will get the numbers and try to figure out what year it is

There is a pto type shaft under the front axle but it is resting on the deck shaft and seems frozen in place.  Farmer said it was for a blower

DSCN2301.JPG

I forgot to ask if they ran a blower, i hope not, i think it was just a summer machine.  wear and tear and all.  He wants me to call him when i get it going and hear what i think of it.  real nice guy.

Bonus was some nice fat tires for mowing grass, we have hills and sometimes have to mow it wet, rains a lot here

DSCN2304.JPG

Finally i have the right color machine for the tarps that i use.  And i really wanted that nice fat spring under my butt, looks comfy.

So far i've oiled it down and aired up the tires.  They all have tubes and great tread, good enough for me.  This is a worker that i hope to keep going as long as i am.  It came with the operation manual, next will be the grease fittings and change the engine and hydro oil.  also what is the best oil to use in the hydro?  i thought i saw a sticker that said 20w motor oil...?

Before i get it off my work bench/trailer would like to see about new mower deck belts.  Possibly a new hydro filter.  And a rear reflector.    The deck rollers are in good shape outside but missing the inner plastic bushings, if they had any.  If anyone has any info on these parts let me know.  also it is missing the belt guards but i'm ok with that for now.

Other than that it's pretty solid.  the deck's been patched and needs another one, i think it is 42."  the battery is still good and the seat is new, bonus.  the hour meter works and says just over 200, maybe that is a new meter installed with the new motor, i forgot to ask.

#5 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:18 PM

Crown vic.

Car looks like a Crown Vic. That is a very nice trailer. Consider restoring the trailer. I would. GT looks nice. Good Luck, Rick

Right 95 crown vic it is a smooth ride on the bumpy back roads where all the good GT's are hiding

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:28 PM

I picked up one of those less the engine at an auction for $25 a few years back.  stripped it out clean and sold most of the stuff, still have all the tinwork and a few other parts here.  nice solid machine hope you have fun with it.

Pete

• Oldford said thank you

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:51 PM

Good looking tractor.I always thought the grills on those looked like a Smiling cartoon frog for some reason.

Block might be newer but that 2 piece intake manifold is old.Might even be an old Points engine.They changed over to a 1 piece intake about the same time they started using the Electronic ignition coils or Magnetron ignition coil as Briggs called it.

95 crown vic ehhh 4.6L? We had a 94 Merc Grand Marquis with the 4.6.Good engine up till it blew both head gaskets at 178k +20-25k because the odometer stopped working there.

Fords AOD and AODE trannys in those weren't very good.I rebuilt ours at 89k and 2k later the overdrive band blew apart and sent chunks into the converter and caused it to eat it's self.Wish it had the 4R70W in it from factory there alot beefier but require a PCM retrofit.

Edited by EricFromPa, April 04, 2016 - 05:09 PM.

• Oldford said thank you

#8 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 959 Thanks
  • 379 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Looks pretty good. The original engines in these were painted dark green to match the frame. The first 2 digits from the engine code will tell what year the engine was made. The mower deck is a 42" model 18300. The deck belt is part # 1728133 and the correct PTO belt for the H16XT is 1741576. The newest part # for the deck rollers is 1765851 which do not have any nylon bushings in them. The hydro filter is part # 1726450. If your plans are primarily for summer use, the 20wt will work fine. Not sure about the PTO spline in the picture, as I don't see the front PTO kit housing. but something must be there. Only the model 18318 newer style PTO kit could remain on the tractor while the mower deck and front mule drive are on. Perhaps you can get a better picture later.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
  • Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:17 PM

I picked up one of those less the engine at an auction for $25 a few years back.  stripped it out clean and sold most of the stuff, still have all the tinwork and a few other parts here.  nice solid machine hope you have fun with it.

Pete

Hey Pete do you happen to have the belt covers for the deck?

#10 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:24 PM

No the tractor I bought had no deck on it, I only got it for the gearbox and rear differential neither of which I wound up using. 

Pete

• Oldford said thank you

#11 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:25 PM

Good looking tractor.I always thought the grills on those looked like a Smiling cartoon frog for some reason.

Block might be newer but that 2 piece intake manifold is old.Might even be an old Points engine.They changed over to a 1 piece intake about the same time they started using the Electronic ignition coils or Magnetron ignition coil as Briggs called it.

95 crown vic ehhh 4.6L? We had a 94 Merc Grand Marquis with the 4.6.Good engine up till it blew both head gaskets at 178k +20-25k because the odometer stopped working there.

Fords AOD and AODE trannys in those weren't very good.I rebuilt ours at 89k and 2k later the overdrive band blew apart and sent chunks into the converter and caused it to eat it's self.Wish it had the 4R70W in it from factory there alot beefier but require a PCM retrofit.

You may be right about the cartoon frog kind of hard to beat those old onan Sears in the front grill cartoon department tho

Thanks for the info on the engine the numbers must be under the shrouds i will have to dig into it when i get time.

I think my vic has the 4r70 trans from what i read online.  had the top end pressure tested, leak down, etc.  so far so good

it has 130k i just picked it up this winter, need it for the smooth ride.  sold my plow truck in january paid for the car with dough left over after repairs... finally learning to sell in season and buy out of season, get a better deal that way

#12 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:31 PM

The hydro filter is part # 1726450. If your plans are primarily for summer use, the 20wt will work fine. Not sure about the PTO spline in the picture, as I don't see the front PTO kit housing. but something must be there. Only the model 18318 newer style PTO kit could remain on the tractor while the mower deck and front mule drive are on. Perhaps you can get a better picture later.

Thanks for the info what would be a good modern substitute for 20w, would 20/50 be ok?  summer use only, as long as the Case hangs in there for snow duties.

The shaft is splined on both sides of its bracket but i can barely see it in front of the axle b/c of the mule drive.   Would a pulley go on the forward shaft to run off the electric pto clutch?  then a long shaft run off the back for a tiller?  Or a gear box to send power forward for a blower?

#13 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 959 Thanks
  • 379 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:50 PM

Yes there would be a pulley with a quick disconnect collar which has to be removed to use the mule drive for the mower deck. You may check with the farmer you bought it from to see if he has it still as they can be difficult to find. This is needed if you ever intend to use a tiller or snowthrower.
  • Bolens 1000 and Oldford have said thanks

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I Want one of these!  BUT.......Don't really need it.......too many now......keep them far away!,, :smilewink:

• Oldford said thank you

#15 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:32 AM

I have this theory, if i get something try to get rid of something else.  so i have to sell my old mower to make room for the new one.  i have no problems selling the old one, just a box store with the trans acting up.  not worth fixing it beat me up every time i used it between the jerky clutch and little wheels.  hoping this bolens will be more of a "cadillac" or at least the "crown vic" category as far as riding comfort

Edited by Oldford, April 05, 2016 - 07:33 AM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you