• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 244 Thanks
  • 156 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 06:30 PM

Yep - older Crown Victoria for sure!  I would have guessed a '97, having driven one for some years as a police car. I gave a lot of folks free rides in the back seat of that car! Great car, takes a licking and keeps on ticking!

Oh, yeah, great looking Bolens too!

Edited by SC Farmer, April 05, 2016 - 06:31 PM.

• Sawdust and Oldford have said thanks

#17 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 663 Thanks
  • 773 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 02:31 PM

I have one of those hoods lying around.. wish you were closer you could have it..

• Oldford said thank you

#18 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 07:55 AM

Here is an update.  After some basic work I used it to mow all summer, worked great.  First thing I did was patch the corner of the mower deck.  I used some light angle and my torch with brass rod.  I'm not good enough with the torch to use a coat hanger.  But that is how I first learned to weld, watching an old guy patch a fender with a coat hanger.  25+ years later I still wish I could run a torch like the old guys.  Here is a pic, the patch is on the outside rear corner of the deck where they all seem to rot.  Maybe can't see it as I also found a can of rustoleum dark green that is a decent enough match

bolensdeck.JPG

Here you can see the second thing I did, add a set of wheel weights from the local flip guy.  It made all the difference mowing, no longer slips on the uphill when the grass is damp.  Worth every nickel of the 100 bucks they cost me.

Also the usual maintenance, changed the oil a couple times, hydro oil + filter, new fuel lines, deck belt, all the little things when you first put an old machine back in service.

Also I found the hidden steering zerk, took a pic but now can't find it.  It was up under the left side of the frame, can't see it but can feel it.  Only knew it was there from picking up an owner's manual copy online.  I like the bolens manual with the little cartoon pics of the guy riding the tractor around.

• LPBolens, EricFromPa, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#19 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 08:01 AM

While at the local flip guy's place getting wheel weights he told me about all the stuff he had for these, he strips them down and sells parts if he can't just flip them.  Since it was summer i was able to haggle him down on a plow to go with the wheel weights.  It was kind of beat but with a couple weeks of welding, banging and painting it came out pretty good imo

bolensplow.jpg

Once i removed the deck for the season and the front pto the plow just slid right on.  I like how light and easy to mount this plow is, all pins and not hard to drag into position like some bigger ones.  Also easy to adjust for height

• blackjackjakexxix and Sawdust have said thanks

#20 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 08:12 AM

Also on the list was some chains and a sleeve hitch.  We just had the driveway redone so I went with the rubber chains.  So far so good

bolensleeve.jpg

In another post i showed this old boat trailer that i was rebuilding to haul equipment.  Makes a decent work platform, really helped me to get the chains on and the sleeve hitch fitted up.

The sleeve hitch is another story in itself.  Not much info on these, i found a google pic from an expired ebay ad from a couple years ago and it looked like the one in the manual from our manuals section.  I contacted the seller which was a tractor shop out west, old bolens dealer, and they still had the hitch after 2 years.  She offered it to me for the old price and picked up the shipping to clear it out.  Of course the day after I paid her, a guy on here offered me the same hitch for 25 bucks less but that is how it goes.  Here is a pic from the old ebay ad

bolnsleev.jpg

still can't believe that pic was still up online and i could actually have it delivered to my door

#21 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 08:22 AM

It took me a while to get the hitch mounted up.  I contacted every bolens guy i could find and nobody had the brackets.  Sure they can be made but it is 1/4" steel with bends and welds and I got rid of my 220 welder a few years back, heavy metal work just kills my back and knees.

After searching around online and our manuals section I still couldn't find a good closeup.  Then a guy a couple hours away listed a gear bolens for sale with the tiller brackets but no tiller.  Same brackets sleeve and tiller.  At first he didn't want to sell just the brackets but after a while i sent him an email with my original offer and he accepted.  Here is a pic from his ad, it pays to read the local sale ads

bolenshitchbrackets.jpg

When i arrived to get the brackets he had already removed them for me and saved the bolts, a real nice guy.  Save my back a lot of work crawling around on the ground.

He also let me remove the cable guide, really just a piece of bent coat hanger but it was factory and fit right.

It was the wrong piece for his gear tractor anyway, the gear tractors use a bracket with a pulley under the seat, my hydro just uses this wire bale to keep the lift cable off the hydro line.  We had a nice chat, always nice to find a fellow gear head.

#22 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 08:33 AM

As it turns out my tractor had a tiller on it previously.  I figured that out when trying to figure out the cable routing for the sleeve hitch and noticed a cable had previously sawed a groove in the top of the hydro line!!!  So i made sure to get that cable well up off the hydro line and that extra guide piece i got with the brackets is earning its keep.  No leaks but I am keeping an eye on that line.

As with the mount brackets, parts for these eliminator sleeve hitches are hard to find.  I got the cable and a hydro-only spacer plate from rick, and a few more of the spacers came up from a used parts guy on ebay.  I couldn't find the proper "lift arm" for the hitch anywere so made up my own out of a piece of 1/4" angle i had lying around.  fortunately it just needed a couple holes drilled and i bent up a clevis out of an old bracket in my small metal bin.  Here it is all mounted up

sleeve.jpg

Added a ball mount from ebay and a trailer ball from the local parts house.  It works great for picking up a trailer with the hydro lift, no more struggling with trying to line it up, just park under the tongue and hit the lift arm and the trailer is hooked from the seat.

Now I can add a garden plow in the spring so now I have 1 tractor for all my needs.  I sold off my Case blower-only tractor I like this bolens so much.  The briggs twin is smooth and good power, not bad on gas either.

Another reason to add the sleeve hitch was in case i wanted to hang a bucket of sand on back for traction, so far i haven't needed to do that, it plows real nice and we have had a lot of ice and slush this winter, hasn't got stuck yet and i pushed it pretty good.  Done for now

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#23 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,895 Thanks
  • 44,624 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 08:51 AM

Glad the tractor is working good for you!

• Oldford said thank you

#24 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,373 Thanks
  • 3,267 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 12:00 PM

You've definitely been busy. Glad everything is working out. That's a nice rig. I'll have to warn you though switching out implements is so much easier having a GT for each...hint, hint. Lol
  • blackjackjakexxix and Oldford have said thanks

#25 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,009 Thanks
  • 6,174 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 02:48 PM

I have the hydro model but not as nice a tin work.  Sleeve hitch on mine is run by a light duty winch from HF.  Bolted to the back of the frame at the top.  That way I can use the sleeve hitch and the blade on the same tractor.  Never take the blade off as I use it year around.  I would leave the belt guard or cover off that deck.  If you look at post #18 and see all the grass, leaves, etc that is on the deck, that only gets worse and fills in under the covers.  Have to remove the covers to clean it out.  Removed the covers from all 3 of my decks, labeled them and hanging on a nail under the rafters.

Edited by chieffan, January 26, 2017 - 03:46 PM.

• Sawdust and Oldford have said thanks

#26 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 04:54 PM

You've definitely been busy. Glad everything is working out. That's a nice rig. I'll have to warn you though switching out implements is so much easier having a GT for each...hint, hint. Lol

Yes I think so too, bolens built a nice tractor for the 1980s.  I'm doing my best not to bust it up too bad. 

Up until last fall I had 3 tractors, 1 for mowing, one for snowblowing, and a plow/towing rig for in between times.  Turned out to be too hard on my body and too stressful to stay on top of 3 old machines.   1 by 1 I sold off the stressful/less comfortable ones.   We had to get a plow guy and a mower guy this past year, i just can't take care of the yard any more.  So the bolens is good year-round backup and just a good yard tug.  Still need it to clean up after the commercial guys, hoping the mower deck goes back on pretty easy.  It came off real easy, just a few pins and at 42" fairly light gauge wasn't too bad to take off.  will see in the spring i guess

• Sawdust said thank you

#27 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 05:00 PM

I have the hydro model but not as nice a tin work.  Sleeve hitch on mine is run by a light duty winch from HF.  Bolted to the back of the frame at the top.  That way I can use the sleeve hitch and the blade on the same tractor.  Never take the blade off as I use it year around.  I would leave the belt guard or cover off that deck.  If you look at post #18 and see all the grass, leaves, etc that is on the deck, that only gets worse and fills in under the covers.  Have to remove the covers to clean it out.  Removed the covers from all 3 of my decks, labeled them and hanging on a nail under the rafters.

do you have any pics of the winch operated sleeve hitch.  sounds pretty handy.

The eliminator design isn't bad, the front and rear implements go up and down together.  if i get a garden plow i will try to figure out some way to hold up the front blade, i like having the weight on front and find a dozer blade is also helpful in the dirt.

At first i was worried about the spinning belts as i can be accident prone.  after a season of mowing it isn't a problem and i just blow the grass and stuff off after mowing.  i can see where belt covers could trap in water, there is some rot on top of my deck which is probably why the p.o. removed them

#28 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,895 Thanks
  • 44,624 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 05:33 PM

do you have any pics of the winch operated sleeve hitch.  sounds pretty handy.

The eliminator design isn't bad, the front and rear implements go up and down together.  if i get a garden plow i will try to figure out some way to hold up the front blade, i like having the weight on front and find a dozer blade is also helpful in the dirt.

At first i was worried about the spinning belts as i can be accident prone.  after a season of mowing it isn't a problem and i just blow the grass and stuff off after mowing.  i can see where belt covers could trap in water, there is some rot on top of my deck which is probably why the p.o. removed them

All of us 'old farts' have some kind of issues! Hope the deck goes back on easily!

• Oldford said thank you

#29 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 08:18 PM

Spring update... 

The deck went on easy for me, as I had someone else put it on.  There's a younger guy mows one of the neighbor's yards.  Turns out he uses the neighbor's rider to do her lawn, after her husband passed.  I asked him if he could cut our lawn and he came by the following week.  I already had the plow off, it came off easy but hurt my back so had to take the rest of the day off, was glad for him to put the deck on.  Then he cut the grass but wasn't so smooth with the hydro.  i think he got kind of beat up and i don't think he's coming back.  Here people just kind come when they want... or not.

Now i'll have to take the deck back off, scored a garden plow.  not a big deal as i didn't have a chance to sharpen the blades before the guy came to help me with the deck and cutting.  Also i picked up a rolling storage shed, it looks big enough to be able to get the deck on and off up in the air, so maybe i can do it myself.  Here is a pic of the new mobile storage unit

clamshell.jpg

Maybe i can even sharpen the blades with the deck up on the trailer, will see...

Here is a pic of the new plow, from the ad

brinly.jpg

I picked it up yesterday, a 5 hour road trip in good weather to a place i haven't been before.  stopped at Mrs. B's general store for directions and a blueberry soda.  It was a good trip and the plow was lighter than i expected tho i got help loading it into the trunk of the Vic.

The brinly cleaned up nice with a light coat of WD.  For now it is under wraps as it is raining out.  I'm hoping to store it in the trailer when not in use.

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#30 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 11:41 AM

I'm still waiting for my back to recover before pulling the deck back off to plow.  Here is a pic from yesterday doing some light work

tractorbarrel.jpg

We live on a hill and i can't walk up it.  The sleeve hitch sticks far enough out back that it hauls the dolly around pretty good without jacknifing on the tires.

The barrel is for running my outboard in, will be time soon to start it up for the season.  Would rather make sure it fires up in the yard before looking like a dummy at the ramp

• KennyP said thank you