• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gary990 OFFLINE  

gary990
  • Member No: 56355
  • 13 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 02:44 PM

my tiller drive shaft vibrates real bad. the u joints are ok maybe the shaft is bent, has anyone had this type of problem and what did they do to help fix this problem. did they make a support for the middle of this shaft . any of help would be fine. thanks gary 990.

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 02:51 PM

If it is bent, you will have to straighten it or replace it. Make sure that the bearings at each end are tight and smooth. a bent shaft will eventually ruin the ujoints and the bearings. Good Luck, Rick

#3 gary990 OFFLINE  

gary990
  • 13 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 03:05 PM

If it is bent, you will have to straighten it or replace it. Make sure that the bearings at each end are tight and smooth. a bent shaft will eventually ruin the ujoints and the bearings. Good Luck, Rick

i guess ill take it off roll it on a level spot on the cement see if its out of round and go from there thanks....

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 03:06 PM

If the Drive shaft is bent, replace it of get it straightened. Make sure the shaft is bent and it's not the input shaft on the gearbox or the PTO shaft on the tractor that's bent.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 03:08 PM

i guess ill take it off roll it on a level spot on the cement see if its out of round and go from there thanks....

Rool it over by hand on the tractor with the engine shut off and the PTO disengaged. Watch each end and then watch the middle to see where and how bad it's bent.

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 gary990 OFFLINE  

gary990
  • 13 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 03:13 PM

Rool it over by hand on the tractor with the engine shut off and the PTO disengaged. Watch each end and then watch the middle to see where and how bad it's bent.

ok ill give it a shot , so if the shaft is bent its no good and where can i pick up a nother shaft?????

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 03:56 PM

ok ill give it a shot , so if the shaft is bent its no good and where can i pick up a nother shaft?????

If it is bent, you may be able to straighten it. Even new rifle barrels have to be straightened. With patience, you should be able to do it. Good Luck, Rick

#8 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:00 PM

Mine was doing the same thing. While on the tractor, pry on it where it is bent until straightened. It is easy to bend these shafts because of the thin wall tubing used.

Edited by VTXrider, April 04, 2016 - 05:02 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 TheFarm2004 OFFLINE  

TheFarm2004

• Member No: 642
  • 129 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:20 PM

I tilled about 150 feet with mine, turned around tilled back, raised it, started back down the garden and it shook so hard that the generator housing and the carburetor mounts both broke! Bought another 990 AND (PAY ATTENTION) ORDERED A NEW DRIVE SHAFT from some ag company, it is square shaft, not round, tried to till, shook just as bad as the old shaft, broke the tiller mast where it mounts to gearbox.

I have had the drive shaft straighten at a machine shop and have come to the conclusion that shafts made for 540 pto's will not work at 2500 to 3600 rmp.

Like TD&D said "Make sure the shaft is bent and it's not the input shaft on the gearbox or the PTO shaft on the tractor that's bent." I think the first 990 in my case has a wore out jack shaft that contributed to the problem .

I have give up on mine for two reasons, MF135 with 5 foot tiller and I really want a Case Hydra drive tiller! It is more fun tilling on a Case 646, the MF135 is just work!

#10 gary990 OFFLINE  

gary990
  • 13 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 09:59 AM

Thanks, i'll try all you guys talked about and see and see if i can fix it . thanks for all your help....