wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 10:35 AM

Casey, how much was it run over winter? Did it sit for a while? If it were me, I would likely change oil, maybe flush it, then give it a workout to see how quickly it returns.

I ran it only a couple times over the Winter, and checked the oil the day before plow day and the oil was perfect color, no sign of any milkyness. I am going to pull the carb, the breather, the fuel pump, and the oil drain when I get a chance and see what I can see in those areas, maybe even go ahead and rebuild or switch out the fuel pump (I have more). The fuel pump seems a most likely source of how the crankcase is refilling, especially if I determine gasoline in there.
  • shorty said thank you

#17 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 03:48 PM

Water or condensation in the gas gets my vote..  (the only thing that makes oil milky)  If it is run up to temp for an hour or so the water should evaporate..  

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,538 Thanks
  • 3,924 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 04:00 PM

Would gas in oil turn it milky? I was thinking it would only thin it. Also with the Kohler splash lube, could that be any part of the equation.

#19 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 04:04 PM

I have an Onan right now that leaks gas into the oil. Mine isn't milky, just super runny.

#20 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 05:53 PM

I agree. Water will make it milky, but not gas.

Casey, did you by any chance grab your secret stash jug of Koolaid when you topped 

up the oil last time.

• shorty and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#21 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 05:59 PM

Not to get off the topic but your NH doesn't look like it is weighted that much. And you pulled a 12" plow ok? Is ball hollow pretty light ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#22 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 06:09 PM

Not to get off the topic but your NH doesn't look like it is weighted that much. And you pulled a 12" plow ok? Is ball hollow pretty light ground?

Had 75 pounds on each tire, 80-100 pounds on the left running board. Tires are not loaded yet. Pulled a shined up 12" plow fine. Ideal weight is probably going to be around 125 on the right, 175 on the left I think. However, I was running out of horsepower and lugged the engine a few times. I will probably load the tires and get it up to about 150 pounds per each side. Im going to set up a Brinly Adapter so
I can swap to a 10" in harder ground.

#23 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 08:28 PM

Nice I had my s-16 plowing last fall, and I had 50# in each wheel and that was barely enough for a 10" without loosing traction. Planning on plowing Sunday and I added front wheel weights, and me and buddy made a weight bracket to hang those 45# suitcase weights from on landslide. So hope it
Will pull it much better than last fall. It is amazing how much weight makes a difference

#24 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Nice I had my s-16 plowing last fall, and I had 50# in each wheel and that was barely enough for a 10" without loosing traction. Planning on plowing Sunday and I added front wheel weights, and me and buddy made a weight bracket to hang those 45# suitcase weights from on landslide. So hope it
Will pull it much better than last fall. It is amazing how much weight makes a difference

Yes, weight is nice. I just made a deal on more wheel weights the other day. So now I will be perfectly overstocked on wheel weights for all my tractors. This new pair is going to allow me to take the FMC weights back off the New Holland and mount them on the Cub Cadet 108 most likely. Have other weights I want to mount to the Cub Cadet 102 for plowing, I I ever get it set up to do so lol.

By the way, are you using a sleeve hitch on your S-16, or a three point?

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 08, 2016 - 08:35 PM.

#25 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 08:42 PM

3pt