wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 01:15 PM

On my New Holland S-14 it has a 14 horse Kohler K321 that loves to spit oil out of the crankcase breather when being worked. Said oil not only drenches the side of the engine, but hits the front left tire which flings oil all over the front and left side of the tractor. I did a compression test and found it to have 75 psi of compression (even with the ACR). Not sure what I am supposed to get. I was pulling a 12 inch plow at Ball Hollow fine, only lugging the engine down when the plow wanted to dig deeper (must use air in the depth gauge tire next time lol). So not lacking power to work it, and oil never appears low when checked. I do have an insistant clatter noise (could be spark knock I suppose). Anyway, I am sure the engine is good, just not sure why the breather breathes so much oil... Any ideas?

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 04, 2016 - 01:16 PM.

• KennyP, randygv16 and eloiseqg3 have said thanks

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 01:47 PM

Do you have the breather assembly assembled correctly?  I know there is a correct which is covered in the service manual.

• wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 02:18 PM

sounds like what I was told, why Coinman yanked the K321 and started pulling it apart on my NH, too... on this one I can see some wear marks on the piston skirt and also a few scratches in the cylinder wall, so it's coming apart the rest of the way and it's then off to the machine shop.... 

In my case I have another engine (Kohler 12hp) that I am debating on whether to plop onto this tractor at least temporarily, or whether just to leave it apart, as it came to me, until I get around to rebuilding the 14..... 

the 12 is fresh, bored. w/ all the work the 14 needs already done so it ain't coming back apart.... but I am thinking of doing the 12hp "killer Kohler" treatment to this 14hp while it's apart.... available funds will decide.

• wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 02:42 PM

Sounds like a bit of blow-by and a bit of piston slap.Rings might be in need of replacement soon.That would explain both problems.

My CC127 ran good but had a bunch of blow-by under any load.It did not smoke out of the exhaust which I thought was strange for an engine that had that much blow-by.It would blow oil all over the place.And once warmed up real good there was ALOT of vapor coming out the breather.

Tore it down and found that it had become terminal.It allready had a .030 piston in it and was in need of atleast another .030 over bore to take out the 1/8th inch gap on either side of the piston.Had to find another block so that's what I did.

Pull the head and put the piston down in the bore the whole way and have a look at the gap between the piston and cylinder.

Usually if you can see the top ring down the gap between the piston and cylinder then it needs some work done to it.You can reuse the piston even if it's a bit worn.The Rings are what keeps the piston straight in the bore.Once the rings get worn the piston will want to cock sideways in the bore and act like a wood plain as it scrapes the bore with the razor sharp edge of the rings and leading edge of the piston.

Once the rings get worn down you better replace them ASAP before it costs you $$$ to have it bored out.

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:07 PM

Eric, my Kohler 14 isnt smoking either, and does not seem to use oil either. I am sure it could be terminal anyway, since I will not tear the engine down right now (too many projects). I already know that when I bought it the oil was the nastiest watered down looking crap I had ever seen. It wasnt straight water, but it was definitely past its prime when I drained it out. I bought this tractor from the same guy that ruined the head on the Case 222 I sold him when he installed the head wrong after having to get the spark plug hole helicoiled. So I am certain it has been neglected, but runs strong right now. I might just start looking for another engine now. I will wait until July to pull the head to check that out, but doubt I will learn anything good...
  • EricFromPa and KennyP have said thanks

#6 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:55 PM

breather.png

check the breather plate - the little hole has to be down so that the oil drains back into the valve area.

check or replace the gaskets

check that the breather plate and valver cover are flat.

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 06:34 PM

Not over full of oil or have the wrong dipstick in it. Just wondering.

Noel
  • Alc, wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 06:48 PM

Not over full of oil or have the wrong dipstick in it. Just wondering.
Noel

After draining it last fall I poured in exactly 2 quarts and that brought it up to the full mark on the dipstick.
  • propane1 said thank you

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:25 PM

One of my MF14s does the same thing under load. I've been into the valve cover, and

that's all put together correctly. It doesn't puke enough oil to have the wheel throw it back at

me in my white shirt, so it's not that critical, but I would like to stop it from messing up the

paint. (or the environment)

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:30 PM

As many oil specs as I see on the side of the hood, air cleaner, grill, front left spindle, tire, I am surprised the see it still have oil at the full mark on the dipstick when checked properly. The oil doesnt look watered or gasolined down either. I bought new V-61s for it and I hate to use the left front tire as an oil catch.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 04, 2016 - 07:31 PM.

• jhn9840 said thank you

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 07:42 PM

Need help on this engine, oil is milky... Just like when I bought the tractor. So what is my problem? Is it pumping gasoline into my oil through somewhere like the fuel pump or the cylinder? Or why is this happening? Seems only under load this thing has changed its own oil for something else...

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 09:42 PM

Condensation can milk oil, but it sounds as if you're dealing with multiple issues.
Change the oil and Bypass the fuel pump. Use a hood gas can and let it run for a while with a towel on the tire.
  • wvbuzzmaster and IamSherwood have said thanks

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 05:36 AM

Casey shouldn't there be some type of connection between the crankcase and intake to suck out vapors ?  Could that be plugged or missing ? Maybe that's why your building crankcase pressure ?

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,636 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 06:19 AM

Casey shouldn't there be some type of connection between the crankcase and intake to suck out vapors ?  Could that be plugged or missing ? Maybe that's why your building crankcase pressure ?

Al, I looked at the cover for the breather and it has a slot at the top for air to escape. No round hole for a tube.

• Alc said thank you

#15 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,512 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 09:27 AM

Casey, how much was it run over winter? Did it sit for a while? If it were me, I would likely change oil, maybe flush it, then give it a workout to see how quickly it returns.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you