Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Thanks to LPbolens (another grader blade thread)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 11:54 AM

With help from LPbolens and all the detailed photos and measurements that he provided me in this post:

http://gardentractor...t-grader-blade/

I was able to fabricate a few pieces and get my Hyro_seed Blade/Rake set up in mid-mount position on my 853. In an attempt to pay back the favor I will detail out what I had to do to make this all work. Hopefully others will be able to use this information.

I was missing two pieces. I'll call them the 'lift plate' and the 'lift link'. The lift plate is a triangle looking piece that bolts directly onto the lift tool of the tractor. I used a combination of Doug's measurements and the photos from the Hydro-seed manuals that were posted here. 

Lift plate was 1/4" diamond plate steel that I had kicking around, probably overkill but the plasma cutter just made it through

Lift link was 1/4" X 1 1/2" flat bar steel from Lowes

The first thing I did was make a  cardboard template of the lift plate. Then I made a template of the lift link. This lift link is an unknown as Doug was also missing his. So, my advise when making this is to make the template of the lift link with the lift system in the RAISED position. The reason behind this is because you do not want your implement to be able to raise too high as it will raise the blade so high as to jam up into the frame of the tractor. I learned all of this in the cardboard template stage of my experimenting. 

Note in the pictures of the system in the LOWERED position that there will be some lift cylinder rod sticking out of the cylinder. This is fine and hence the reason for insuring that you make the link link template while in the RAISED position. This also gives the blade down pressure when center mounted (I was pleasantly surprised to find that out)

The angle of the lift plate holes was the most important piece of this entire puzzle. It needs to be the correct angle in order to get proper lift and clearance.

After the pieces were made I slid the center mount frame under the tractor with the rake attached to it. I put pins in the rear axle tabs and mounted the frame. Now I had a frame that would pivot on the rear transaxle. The frame was now in the center mount position. I put a floor jack under the rake which allowed me to raise and lower the rake. 

I raised the rake to the raised position, connected the lift plate template and the lift link to the tractor and to the frame of the rake. By lowering and raising with the floor jack I was able to determine where the holes in the lift link needed to be. Once I got everything working I removed the templates and fabricated them out of steel. 

The lift plate has two 3/8" holes (the two holes most forward when mounted on the tractor) the third hole which bolts to the lift link is 5/16". The lift plate attaches by sliding lower hole over the pin of the lift tool and the upper hole is bolted onto the lift tool in the rear hole. There are two holes in the upper portion of the lift tool where the lift cylinder clevis attaches. Use the rear hole and get a longer 3/8" bolt to accomodate the lift plate.

The lift link holes are 5/16" I used a 5/16" bolt on the rake frame with a nut as a spacer to get the lift link to align properly with the lift plate when viewed from the rear of the tractor. On the end of the lift link that connects to the lift plate I also used as 5/16" bolt with a nut as a spacer for alignment. 

I've included pictures of all this so you can better see what I am describing. It seems that these two pieces are missing on many of the blades that you folks have posted. I ran this rake in my driveway and it worked great.

I also saved the actual cardboard templates. If you are fabricating the pieces I would be happy to pass the templates along to you. I just ask that you would pass them along to the next guy should anyone else want to make these pieces or have them fabricated by a shop. 

As of now all the parts were painted with Rustoleum regal red using a brush. I wanted good heavy coverage for this project. I was lucky as mine was used very little, the rake, blade and scarifier are not worn even a tiny bit so it only needed paint and some welding of new attachment studs for the scarifier. 

NOTE: 

I took pictures in both lowered and raised position so that you can see the difference in the length of lift cylinder rod that is sticking out.

Finally, here are the pictures enjoy and thank again to Doug for getting this subject rolling along. I hope this helps someone with their project.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1654.JPG
  • IMG_1652.JPG
  • IMG_1651.JPG
  • IMG_1657.JPG
  • IMG_1658.JPG
  • IMG_1660.JPG
  • IMG_1668.JPG
  • IMG_1669.JPG
  • IMG_1673.JPG
  • IMG_1674.JPG
  • IMG_1675.JPG
  • IMG_1676.JPG
  • IMG_1678.JPG

Edited by Husky, April 04, 2016 - 05:30 PM.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Alc and 15 others have said thanks

#2 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 02:34 PM

I have wondered about the color. My Hydro-Speed attachment appears to be orange, but I don't know if that was the original color, or simply badly faded red.

(By the way, you are welcome. I'm glad you were able to make the pieces and mount the unit.)

Edited by LPBolens, April 04, 2016 - 02:35 PM.

• Husky, blackjackjakexxix and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#3 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 03:31 PM

Well mine was dull orange too but I thought it was faded red. Either way red it is going to be. I forgot to take a picture of the painted lift plate and link. I'll add it later.
  • blackjackjakexxix, MyBolens1053 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#4 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:27 PM

Excellent job! :thumbs:  :thumbs:

• Husky, blackjackjakexxix and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#5 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:53 PM

That looks really good.

• Husky and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#6 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 11:19 PM

I am like :good_job:  with this!  I may one day tackle a fab of this attachment and this will surely help.

Btw, you wouldn't have the specs on that hydraulic cylinder by chance? Stroke? Rod diameter? Retracted length? Max pressure?

• Husky said thank you

#7 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:03 AM

I am like :good_job:  with this!  I may one day tackle a fab of this attachment and this will surely help.

Btw, you wouldn't have the specs on that hydraulic cylinder by chance? Stroke? Rod diameter? Retracted length? Max pressure?

As far as the cylinder goes I don't have specs. It's the cylinder that came with the lift kit. It would be the same cylinder that any of the hydrostatic tube frame tractors have on them. I'll probably mount it back onto the tractor this weekend and take a few final pictures. I may try out the scarifier bar out back and see how well it breaks up the ground.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#8 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 05:22 PM

Very nice! I could really use one of those!
  • Husky and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#9 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 06:28 PM

Thanks guys, I put it back on with the blade and the scarifier in the up position. Note that the scarifier has a cotter pin on one end to hold it in the up position pretty neat idea. I may try it out this weekend out back just to see how it works. Here are a few pictures of it installed on my 853.

Attached Thumbnails

• Img_1680.jpg
  • Img_1683.jpg
  • Img_1684.jpg
  • Img_1685.jpg
  • Img_1686.jpg
  • Img_1687.jpg
  • Img_1688.jpg

Edited by Husky, April 05, 2016 - 06:30 PM.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#10 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 10:53 PM

That surely does look cool under there!

• blackjackjakexxix and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#11 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:44 AM

Very nice job, another one of those very hard items to find,maybe just a little rare

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, April 06, 2016 - 08:44 AM.

• AA Hayes said thank you

#12 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 09:40 AM

I would love to see it in action.