Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

2155 cub cadet by mtd, transaxle fluid, really rotella 15w40?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:03 AM

Hey guys.  got my first cub about a week ago, it need some tlc but things are running perfect now.  I'm going to do a fluid and filter change on the rear just because i'm not sure when the last time it was done if it was done.

I know the cub cadet labeled trans fluid is available for $15 a qt.  I've been doing some reading and many folks are saying you can run rotella 15w40 motor oil in these tranaxles?  Does anybody know this for sure and have good experience?  It sounds wierd not to put a hydro fluid in there, but if it's what works and will be of good quality i'd surely like to save myself $50!

Thanks in advance.

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 02:20 PM

Don't use Engine oil in a Hydro unless that's what it calls for.Hydro transaxle fluid has additives in it designed for clutches and swash plates which engine oil does not have.You'll burn up your pump very quickly if you use regular oil.

I used Traveller Universal tractor transaxle/hydraulic fluid from Tractor Supply in my HDS 2165 and my old CC 127,129 and 149.Seems to work good.It is a tad bit thicker than Case/IH Hytran so it takes a bit more time to heat up to operating temps in colder weather.It will feel a bit sluggish till it's warmed up.

2 gallon jug is around $20 at TSC.

Don't skimp out on the filter.Get a good Fleetguard or an OEM Cub filter.

There was a newer Fram hydro filter on the 2165 when I got it but the guts in it had fallen apart and clogged up.Tractor was diagnosed as having a bad pump but it was just the filter.Paid $200 for the tractor,put new filter and fluid in it and cleaned it up and sold it for $600 a couple months later.I still do maintenance on it every spring for the fella that got it.He's still very happy with it 3 years later.

#3 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:48 PM

like Eric said motor oil is no good, i run hytrans from tractor supply and a wix filter on all my cubs with no issue.

#4 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I think this 2000 series trans calls for motor oil. I've heard u can't run any filter but a replacement hydro. There are lots of cross reference auto filters that claim to work but don't. I got the replacement stens hydro filter. This hydro on this garden tractor does not use your typical hydro fluid. The specs on the cub cadet oil for it are also matching to rotella. Which is set clutch approved. So you guys are finding a universal hydraulic fluid to work? Like any hydro fluid for tractors? The older garden tractors ran hydro but I've been told the cub cadet trains fluid for my 2155 is motor oil

Edited by rippinryno, April 04, 2016 - 08:41 PM.

#5 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:39 PM

http://www.tractorfo...bstitute-13625/

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:46 PM

There were lively discussions @ another un-named forum about this very subject..  If it's a true Hydro the traveller is also what I use..  It's much cheaper than the liquid gold (cub oil) and will work just fine in a hydro tranny.

That being said, if your tranny is a 6 speed AGS (Wet Clutches like an old tractor I had-  a 2160*) the CC fluid was the only stuff that worked correctly for me.  

As far as just changing it for the fun of it I'd look @ the dip stick and evaluate how dirty or discolored the fluid is that is in it now..  Maybe you can get away with a filter change with the front end propped up then top the fluid off..  

It's your call..

#7 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:03 PM

It's not dirty at all but I'm not sure how dirty it gets since it's not used in an engine. Don't the oil properties break down still from squish and friction? I'd like to be able to tell what hydro is on it. It's the direct shaft trans I know that. Fully automatic, I don't have a serial number but it's a 2000 series hds2155

#8 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:27 PM

My manual is recommending the cub cadet drive system oil

#9 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,544 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 10:04 PM

Don't use Engine oil in a Hydro unless that's what it calls for.Hydro transaxle fluid has additives in it designed for clutches and swash plates which engine oil does not have.You'll burn up your pump very quickly if you use regular oil.

I used Traveller Universal tractor transaxle/hydraulic fluid from Tractor Supply in my HDS 2165 and my old CC 127,129 and 149.Seems to work good.It is a tad bit thicker than Case/IH Hytran so it takes a bit more time to heat up to operating temps in colder weather.It will feel a bit sluggish till it's warmed up.

2 gallon jug is around $20 at TSC.

Don't skimp out on the filter.Get a good Fleetguard or an OEM Cub filter.

There was a newer Fram hydro filter on the 2165 when I got it but the guts in it had fallen apart and clogged up.Tractor was diagnosed as having a bad pump but it was just the filter.Paid $200 for the tractor,put new filter and fluid in it and cleaned it up and sold it for $600 a couple months later.I still do maintenance on it every spring for the fella that got it.He's still very happy with it 3 years later.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it will burn the pump quickly, see thread about my dads 782, had it in there for three years and not burnt up, although I found it strange that that's what the shop put in it, haven't made any progress on that tractor or any here (had 3-5in of snow in past 2 days), I would go by what the manual says or an equivalent.

#10 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:07 AM

problem is that the manual simply says cub cadet drive system oil.  i know now they have  a "cub cadet drive system oil plus".   none of this tells me much, but i've been told the newere 2004 and up are taking basically a motor oil.  I want to get this serviced because i'm not sure when it was done or how long ago, but really am trying to figure out what the "cub cadet drive system oil" is, lol

#11 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:18 AM

Only thing that ruins oil is contaminates and excess heat.

#12 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:21 AM

one has to wonder if you guys have done any research on this topic?  I'm asking here because i'm looking for opinions from people who know the facts.  skyrydr2, do you realize that most of the newer hydro's call for a motor oil?  do you also know that some of the cub cadet dealers will tell you that they actually use a motor oil in these trans?  I'm not here to argue, but would really expect more knowledge.  I know many guys are stuck on the old trans and  the old hydro's which ran a typical hydro/trans fluid, but without having any knowledge it's probalby best not to post.  I will share a link to a thread where some folks know what's up and discuss it so you can get a better idea.

There are several motor oils that are designed for wet clutch appications, and can in fact be used in transmissions as well.  Like tractors, or the many motorcycles and atv's that use seperate oil for the clutches and transmissions.

The entire 2000 series tractors with the shaft drive hydro's, use a motor oil.  The cub labeled drive system oil, is not hydro oil.

http://www.mytractor...-transaxle.html

Edited by rippinryno, April 05, 2016 - 07:22 AM.

#13 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • Member No: 81045
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 02:57 PM

I wish I had more experience with the newer cubs.  That said, I know like you said that the manual calls for the "drive systems oil" which is different from hydro oil that we use on the older cubs.  I would think that if the cub repair shops/independent dealers are using an alternate brand, confirm with them, and go with it.

#14 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 07:19 AM

After learning and researching moreit  seems that these drives can run on rotella 15w40 and  tend to do very well with it.  I will follow up after the summer if i learn of any issues, however after reading it seems many many folks are running something similar to shell rotella or a synthetic heavy weight motor oil.