#31 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Went over the whole electrical system today. Found a bad ground at the starter. Repaired it, put her back together and BRRMM! She fired right up. I took a voltage test at the battery. Idle shows about 13 VDC. Half throttle same, full throttle just a bit above. I'll start her up tomorrow and try draining the battery down using the lights. Then see if the Alt. will charge the battery.

#32 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 07:29 PM

It looks like you found the problem. I always check the grounds on older equipment. Corrosion over time can create a poor connection. If your battery is in good condition you won't see much increase in the voltage with a small alternator doing the charging. Is your ammeter giving you a reasonable reading now?

#33 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Sounds like you've found the electrical problem. Good Stuff.

#34 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 07:48 PM

Sounds like you've found the electrical problem. Good Stuff.

:ditto:

#35 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 08:19 PM

Yes the ammeter seems to be working. Thanks for ALL of you guys advice and assistance. I'm sure that you all well know how frustrating it can be tracing wires. After spending a few hours on Sat. I had to walk away and go do some work with the Newfs. (No wiring on them LOL)
Still waiting on litter #2 Will. First time witch, they usually drag it out.....

#36 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 08:28 PM

Yes the ammeter seems to be working. Thanks for ALL of you guys advice and assistance. I'm sure that you all well know how frustrating it can be tracing wires. After spending a few hours on Sat. I had to walk away and go do some work with the Newfs. (No wiring on them LOL)
Still waiting on litter #2 Will. First time witch, they usually drag it out.....

Lookin forward to pics.

#37 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 08:37 PM

Lookin forward to pups! First litter was 6 girls, 1 boy. (poor boy!!) Have a waiting list of 11 for males. Will send pics. as sson as they don't look like little black blobs. VBG.

#38 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 08:13 AM

Yes! please post some pictures. The Newfs must keep you awful busy. My wifes family is from Newfoundland and she loves those dogs.

#39 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 08:26 AM

pups snow5.JPG
Here are a few pics of pups from our last litter! Also 1 pic from a draft clinic that I did last fall. Can't remember the womans name that is handling one of our dogs.
Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• brisa1.JPG
  • mismark pulling the clinic cart.JPG
  • brisa2.JPG
  • mason puppy5 (141 x 167).jpg
  • pups snow4.JPG

#40 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for the pictures. You must have a pretty large property in order to exercise the
newfs. We don't see many of them here in N.S. There were only 2 at the last dog show we went to both from the same breeder. We have 2 standard poodles.

#41 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 06:12 AM

I'm guessing that the 2 you saw at the show in N.S. were Homeport Newfs (Devin Nutbeam) she lives in N.B. Very nice dogs. Her family has been breeding Newfs for over 50 years. She has used 1 of our males for stud a couple of times.
We have about an acre that is fenced with fenced pens inside of that. 2 to 3 Newfs per pen depending on the size of the pen. Approx. 1/2 acre exercise/training area. The nature of the breed being(very layback) they only require about 1/2 to 1 hour of exercise per day. Also by pairing them they will often exercise themselves. When it comes time for them to show they go to the handlers and return once they have their championship.
As for night time, I built a large room onto the back of the house. 16 X30 and it lined with dog crates. They all come in at night and sleep in their crates. The room has A/C so if it get's real warm out back in the afternoon (summer) they come in until the sun starts to set.
We try and keep our Newfs bathed and groomed at once a month. Kim (my wife) has a grooming schedule for each dog. She grooms our dogs herself in the grooming room down stairs (finished basement) which is also where the whelping room is.
Aaahh! Life after children. We've had Newfs for years but didn't get serious about it until after our 2 oldest children left for the military. (both are career Airforce) No, not both boys!
Our oldest Child is a girl, she is a Master Sergeant and NCO wing commander at Pope AFB in North Carolina. Oldest son is a Tech. Sergeant, jet engine mechanic in Japan. Youngest son lives in Maine, he's an auto mechanic.
Garden Tractors have always been something that I wanted to get into but just kept getting side tracked until recently.
B.T.W. I love standard poodles. They are a great water dog. Very instictive.

Ross

#42 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 08:26 PM

Okay, back to the drawing board!! Let the 12 sit a couple days with battery connected. Went out late this afternoon to start it and the battery was down. Something is draining the battery. I have it on trickle charge to get it back up to full charge. I'm thinking that I may end up doing a total re-wire .

#43 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,644 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 10:14 PM

I'm wondering if you have a bad regulator or a stuck contact in there. I think it would provide a slow drain. The other thing is to charge the battery up and let it sit disconnected for a couple of days, I have had them drain down on their own.
Bad batteries can be very frustrating.
  • KIRO-1 said thank you

#44 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 05:19 AM

Will check the regulator 1st. Then I will check the battery. I have some ditch plowing to do today or tomorrow with her but Sat. and Sun. it's supposed to rain so I will pull the battery Fri. night and let it sit on my bench until late Sun. then try it. Figure I can work on the 7 while I'm waiting. Hopefully pups will come along somewhere in between. First time bitches can be soooo stuborn. Today is day 65. If nothing by Fri. I think my wife is gonna schedule a c-section and get em outa her.