• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fitzer OFFLINE  

fitzer

• Member No: 4475
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:36 PM

I built a small tree spade, for the 3 point on my 455. Problem with it is, when pushing spades into the dirt, the tractor hydraulics push the frame off the ground, because the 3 point arms have slack built into the tractor. Does anyone know of a quick, easy way of 'solidifying' the 3 point, so it has to try lifting the tractor?
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 10:07 PM

Good question!  I was wondering the same thing myself.  I don't know why the 3 point hitches don't have an option for down pressure.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:36 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !!  I can't help you with your question but I'm sure there are members here who can

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:40 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! A lot of the tractors have a built-in 'float'. Some say that keeps you from breaking things! Not familiar with the JD system to help!

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 06:44 AM

The older International Farmall tractors solved this with their fast hitch system.  To put chains on my 400 I would block up the side of the fast hitch and use the hydraulics to lift the wheel off the ground.  They used an external 2 way cylinder.  Any way this could be adapted to the 3 point arms? 

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:28 AM

I had an x475 and there was an adjustment bolt for limiting the hitch travel. I can't remember now if it was upward travel or downward. I had the Cat 1 hitch and I don't think that was offered on the older 4x5 series. If it has that adjustment perhaps looking at how that works would give you ideas for making something to do what you need. 

#7 fitzer OFFLINE  

fitzer

• 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 03:55 PM

I had an x475 and there was an adjustment bolt for limiting the hitch travel. I can't remember now if it was upward travel or downward. I had the Cat 1 hitch and I don't think that was offered on the older 4x5 series. If it has that adjustment perhaps looking at how that works would give you ideas for making something to do what you need.

The 455 has this same idea. I think I'm going to try a cutting a piece of pipe the proper width to fit between the plates where that adjustment bolt goes. Then, a bolt with washers to 'stop' the adjustment bolt from sliding.

This all probably doesn't make a lot of sense with no pictures. But I would think most 400 series hitches would be similar.

#8 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 06:43 PM

If it's anything like my JD 420 the hydraulic lift cylinder's ram has a pin that rides in a slot on the rockshaft. If yours is the same setup, you would have to find a way to lock the pin in place so that it can't slide in the slot in the rockshaft.
  • Alc said thank you

#9 fitzer OFFLINE  

fitzer

• 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 07:49 PM

So, I rigged the 3 point so it has down pressure. Used a cut down 1/2 carriage bolt, and attached it to the rockshaft slot. I had to grind down the head so it would go by hydraulic cylinder rod. Works not too bad, but will see if this tree spade even works decently. If it does, I may try to rig something this winter to fill in the slot. Or, maybe not.20160406_172622.jpg 20160406_174644.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160406_174816.jpg
  • 20160406_172047.jpg

• MH81, Alc and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks