• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sozamora72 OFFLINE  

sozamora72
  • Member No: 79359
  • 35 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:22 PM

​Well made a 5 hour round trip on Saturday to pick up this beauty.  Spent a total of $300, $250 for tractor and $50 on gas.  It has the Kohler K321A, Spec 60258d which from research is original engine.  Model is a 444-75, Serial #9710240.  Previous owner said he bought as a project but never got around to it so he listed it on craigslist and here I'am with it.  Along with it was a starter/generator he bought and an oil tank.  Tractor needs some attention. Spindles to mower deck are stuck, they wont move at all.   I started tinkering with it today but was having some issues.  I downloaded two manuals off this site to get a wiring schematic but the manuals that I down loaded for some reason don't pertain to serial number of this tractor.  Well I hooked up wires to starter/generator and a black wire with white stripe to coil.  When I tried to connect battery there where sparks and after awhile fuse blew.  So I take it I have a short somewhere.  Hence can anyone direct me in the right direction for proper manual. A diagram that would indicate color code of wire.   Would like to get engine to fire first so see if its even worth fixing.  Don't know if hydraulic pump will work either.  Anyway here are some pictures.P1230001.JPG P1230002.JPG P1230003.JPG P1230004.JPG P1230005.JPG P1230006.JPG P1230007.JPG P1230008.JPG P1230009.JPG

• CRFarnsworth, Traill95, Oldford and 1 other said thanks

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:47 PM

Black is usually ground. Go to  Click on find your illustrated parts manual then go to compact tractors-manual steering. look up your S/N for your tractor model.Must not be able to add site so Google Eastmanind Ingersoll

Edited by gopher, April 04, 2016 - 12:13 AM.

• chieffan and sozamora72 have said thanks

#3 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 10:49 PM

Cool lookin tractor.  Has the newer snap-fast pins, with the tan paint it should be around 72-75.  Lots of the old ones still going.  You can get deck bearings through ingersoll i think there's a dealer on here.  Case used thick steel you can probably fix up the deck and hood pins pretty easy, good luck.

• sozamora72 said thank you

#4 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:34 PM

When I rewire I always google the year of the tractor and who're diagram always seems to work for me.
Ps if the pump don't work don't give up on it you can still get them new or take a chance on ebay. All depends on what you want to spend on it. We have a 446 that the pump was shot and I mean shot reading about 10-25 psi at full throttle and we spent 1500 in that to get fixed. BUT we also had deere dealer do it for us so there was a good $500 in labor but then again we have not heat in the shop and it was winter. But now you can't stop it either and m y dad won't let anyone drive it because he is always on it.
  • sozamora72 said thank you

#5 sozamora72 OFFLINE  

sozamora72
  • Member No: 79359
  • 35 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:42 PM

​Update on tractor.  Got carburetor cleaned and she fired up with no problem.  No smoke what so ever.  Ordered a governor spring as I noticed it needed one.  Well now to the nitty gritty.  I hooked up tank to hydro oil and filled it up.  My problem now is that it wont move.  I removed two dried up mice inside tank.  Tank was clean originally when I installed it.  Hose was capped off when I bought tractor.  Probably capped off after mice found a new home.  Well guys I need help.  What do I do now?  Do I need to unscrew all hoses to see what else is clogging oil? I took oil cap off of tank and oil seems to be running through tank.  Funny thing is when I put lever in the forward postion tractor wants to travel in reverse.  Also I'll take pictures at a later date but seems I'm having trouble with forward/reverse lever and hydro lift lever.  Smooth going into forward but hard to get it to go into reverse.  It wont engage in reverse whatsoever.  Any help is greatly appreciated.