42 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Test drove a 6 speed manual Jeep unlimited the other day and realized I want nothing to do with owning a manual again!

Quick 15 minute ride I realized I don't want that in my life again...
  • grnspot110, Alc, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 08:59 PM

I drive a 2004 gmc 2500hd with manual trans, I absolutely love it and will own manual trans as long as I can. Gmc along with Ford and dodge no longer offer manual trans.

We will be getting my wife a new car soon, it will be a 6 speed Subaru Outback.
I must add, the closest city is 150kms away, we don't drive in traffic often.
  • Alc, 1964Deere, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#3 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 864 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Both my Mustangs are standard, but can't find a ford pickup that has a 5 speed in it. Last one I had was a 1992 Ranger. Best truck I ever owned.
  • Cvans, toomanytoys84 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:47 PM

My lil front wheel drive Dodge pickup is a 5 speed.  Right now the clutch is out so I been playing ma-chan-ick.   I don't like playing ma-chan-ick. 

I prefer a manual. Less maintenance [usually] and better economy.

tranny.jpg

• limebuzz, Alc, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:48 PM

My work car is a manual, and I drive congested metro traffic every afternoon. I don't text or play with my phone when I'm driving, so I can afford keeping my right hand busy with helping drive the car.

I'm about 50/50 in my lifetime of manuals vs autos. The last 3 out of 5 work vehicles I have owned have been manuals. I love a manual in snow or ice. The 'traction control' on my wife's vehicle? Someone ought to have their head examined if they think that is a good feature.

• limebuzz, Alc, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 10:14 PM

I really miss a manual transmission. The grandson needed wheels so he is now the owner of my last manual transmission. 1997 f-150 with a manual tranny. For launching the boat I like the auto's but for general driving I'd still like to have a manual around. A nice smooth shifting manual not one in a truck where you have to search for each gate.  :smilewink:

• limebuzz, Alc and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,320 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 10:17 PM

I hear ya Scott..  Driving skills have been thrown right out the window and the cars today have to be idiot-proof thank to lawsuits and lawyers..  

**All we learn that nothing is idiot proof to a talented idiot!!

I loved the manuals too..  If I slip or start sliding I push the clutch until I regain control / ride it out..  Also using a steep gear (2nd @ low speeds) keeps the spinning to a minimum..   All us older folks here know the tricks handed down from our forefathers and it helps us avoid the new generation's lack of skills or common sense..  

Traction control= putting the brake on a spinning tire?!?!  **They must have bought stock in the brake companies the way the things work..  It's all dependant on speed sensors and if the sensor don't work things get dicey!  I disable the traction control in my cars..  If I'm stupid enough to go too fast on icy roads and crash it's my own fault!

• Gtractor, Alc, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 10:22 PM

My daughter is 15 and so far has logged 12 hours driving. Eight of them on my work car.
  • Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 10:24 PM

I can and prefer to drive stick. Dad has a 6 speed Ford 3/4 ton that I've taken down the road a few times...

#10 Mtypython OFFLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:22 AM

Only at work,18spd,used to have a std pickup was the last one i drove after work about 15 years ago
  • Gtractor, limebuzz, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:46 AM

I used to love to drive a stick but there are two reasons I no longer have one.  1. My wife refuses to drive one and we need to be able to drive each other's cars and 2. my left knee.  My knee just can't handle the shifting anymore.  I was in one a few years ago (rental) and found that I wasn't too smooth at it anymore.  Sometimes I miss it, especially in the winter.

• limebuzz, Alc, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#12 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:31 AM

Traction control= putting the brake on a spinning tire?!?!  **They must have bought stock in the brake companies the way the things work..  It's all dependant on speed sensors and if the sensor don't work things get dicey!  I disable the traction control in my cars..  If I'm stupid enough to go too fast on icy roads and crash it's my own fault!

My work car is manual it's an easy car to pull out and shift , well except 5th gear , for some reason when we were teaching my daughter to drive  6 years ago  we thought it would be good for her to know how to drive stick she was having a hard time with shifting my car and the next day the 5th gear synchronizer wasn't working like it should , so since that night I have to double clutch 5th gear only so it doesn't grind :(

About traction control ,,,,   we bought my daughter a 1998 Saturn right before she got her license so I was using it to make sure the bugs were worked out , we had some snow maybe 3-4" , had to turn onto a street with a hill and gave it some gas to keep the speed up , well I didn't realize the traction control came one and just about stop the car !  Pushed the button to knock it off so I could try again , yep made it up the hill with no problems just a little tire spin  .  

• Gtractor, Cvans, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#13 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:37 AM

My work car is a manual. With good synchronizers, a clutch is only needed for first gear. Automatics just don't have a macho feel to them😉
  • limebuzz, Alc, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#14 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:52 AM

Take a new GM 8 or 10 speed automatic for a test drive then come back , you will definitely sing a different tune. They shift like a standard being perfectly done !! And boys when you get into it as hard as you can... WHOOOO DOGGGY!! Nothin sweeter! And they will enighilate a standard shift, except when stuck..LOL
Today most all domestic brands tune the engines for maximum efficiency with the automatic transmissions. Not to mention the " now generation" ... " oh my god ir has 3 pedals??"

Edited by skyrydr2, April 04, 2016 - 05:57 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#15 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 06:20 AM

My truck comes w/ more pulling capacity w/ an auto than w/ a stick.