Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo

Poor Mans Bead Breaker And Tire Changer For Smaller Tires On Lawn And Garden Tractor Tires

tire changer tire removal tire insatllation

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 07:14 AM

to use a car tire to help break the beads , we used them for many years with good success , we would drive on the side of the flat tyre  and then use a tyre lever  and hammer to drop the bead down then repeat it on the back side of the tire ,

but when i got the truck that made it even easier to do with 1 ramp on the side of the tyre then drive the truck on to it & mostly it broke the beads right off 1 go  

other wise i have a pinch bar with an angle shape chisel end on it about 20 odd" long & just use a block hammer with it in the beads to knock them down off the beads 

i'll try to get a pic during the week out bush of the bead breaker i made which is welded to a steel post in dad's shed now i've had it for 15 yrs now & still works good on any size up to 16" truck rims including split rims 

• Delmar and HDWildBill have said thanks

#32 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 08:14 AM

Nice invention, I use a steel car ramp. Put it up on the tire as close to the bead as possible,then drive on it with the truck. Always works for me.

Hope you don't spill your beer!!

• limebuzz, Delmar and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#33 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 07:51 PM

No beer drinking for this guy.
  • KennyP and Delmar have said thanks

#34 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 11:56 PM

I really like your set up for breaking down tires, looks like it would do the trick.  I avoid cussing and cut fingers by using the Firestone store two blocks away...for $10 they will break down any pair of 12 inch rims/tires I give them.  I can usually install new tires myself.  I did let them install the 6-ply titans I bought tho...glad I made that choice.  with their machines it still took them 2 hours to put them on the rims and seat them, and only cost me $10 for the pair.

I  use my bar clamps to break down smaller tires.  works good.  I also use wd-40  on the beads before hand...it helps to 'slip' the tires off the beads

• limebuzz, HDWildBill and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tire changer, tire removal, tire insatllation