Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo

Poor Mans Bead Breaker And Tire Changer For Smaller Tires On Lawn And Garden Tractor Tires

tire changer tire removal tire insatllation

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 06:28 PM

I used my HF tire changer to break the beads on some 6" tires today!

• holdenboy1960, James Bosma, lawandasl4 and 1 other said thanks

#17 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 06:35 PM

I just tried 29 Chev method. After 2 hours, and 2 tires, not one has broke the bead. Guess I'm going to the tire shop.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1150771.JPG

• holdenboy1960 and James Bosma have said thanks

#18 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 07:27 PM

I use the wheel lift of the tow truck.

• holdenboy1960 and James Bosma have said thanks

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 11:21 PM

A friend suggested using our excavator to break the beads loose. It works BUT I can't see the wheel in front of the blade and I crushed one rim.  :mad2:  Fortunately I was able to straighten it out in the press. 

Put the blade down on one side of the wheel and push down on the tire next to the rim with the bucket on the other side. It works but I don't think my friend had an 8" wheel in mind.

Edited by Cvans, April 10, 2016 - 11:21 PM.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#20 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 10:51 AM

I just tried 29 Chev method. After 2 hours, and 2 tires, not one has broke the bead. Guess I'm going to the tire shop.

Sorry to hear that it did not work for you - I have used this method on several tires and had good sucess.  Just wanted to check and make sure you had the two 2x4's that were cross wise right next to the edge of the rim as they are shown in the first two pictures - If they were away from the rim further they may not have put as much pressure on the side wall of the tire.  The way that I did mine was I started with a medium size srewdriver as shown in the third picture next to where the 2x4 was and then worked my way around the front and back twisting the screwdriver a little bit to walk the tire away from the edge of the rim.  The I used a larger flat srewdriver using the same method and worked the tire away from the edge of the rim as shown in the last picture.  Then I went to the larger pry bar to move the tire further away from the edge untile the bead broke.  As someone else mentioned a bit of WD40 might help the rubber slide on the rim.  Another  suggestion that might help would to be to use two short 2x4's at each side (one on top of the other) to get more side motion on the tire before the top 2x4 contacts the rim - I would suggest that they be held to the top 2x4 with wood screws so they don't move - spacer them so they are about 1/16" wider than the diameter of the rim (so they just clear the rim and are centred in relation to the hole where the threaded rod is.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Tire Compressed.jpg
  • 2 Tire Compressed.jpg
  • 3 Flat Screwdriver Inserted.jpg
  • 4 Larger Flat Screwdriver Used Once Tire Started To Move.jpg
  • 5 Tire Moved Away From Rim.jpg

• Cvans and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#21 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 11:05 AM

I have a suggestion that may improve braking the bead.  If you look at a commercial bead breaker it is circular and at an angle to be able to get at the bed it's self.  Also it is relatively thin to put the pressure on the bead it's self.  Looking at the pic's above the 2x4's are laying flat distributing the force over a larger area which would diminish the force needed to break the bead.  Why not turn the 2x4's on end and maybe even angle the end some to put the force closer to the bead?  If you have a good piece of metal you could even attach it to the 2x4 with an angle and get it up under the rim lip like a commercial one.

• propane1, holdenboy1960 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#22 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 02:04 PM

I have a suggestion that may improve braking the bead.  If you look at a commercial bead breaker it is circular and at an angle to be able to get at the bed it's self.  Also it is relatively thin to put the pressure on the bead it's self.  Looking at the pic's above the 2x4's are laying flat distributing the force over a larger area which would diminish the force needed to break the bead.  Why not turn the 2x4's on end and maybe even angle the end some to put the force closer to the bead?  If you have a good piece of metal you could even attach it to the 2x4 with an angle and get it up under the rim lip like a commercial one.

Yea I tried that too, the boards slip off.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1150775.JPG

• Cvans and propane1 have said thanks

#23 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 04:05 PM

Yea I tried that too, the boards slip off.

yea I can see your not getting close enough to the bead its self.  You could try setting the tire up like you have in the pic and then use a tire iron, pry bar, or get the HF hand bead breaker and pry down on the front and back with the pressure on the sides.  But I think if you tapered the out side edges of the 2x4 and then got fairly strong metal and attach it to the 2x4s so they are pointing in so they hit either on or very close to the bead it might work.  

Have you sprayed it down with some soap and water?  I've had some tires even with a real bead breaker be a big PITA.  I've gone so far as to put a 4' cheater on the handle to break the bead.

#24 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 04:11 PM

I have picked out the best four tires, Front and Rear. Will take to the tire shop. Even IF I manage to dis-mount them I still have a disposal issue. At least with the others still mounted they won't collect skeeter water, till I can get to them.

It was a good thought though.

#25 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:14 PM

The purpose of the 2x4's is simply to keep constant pressure on the side of the tire - not break the bead.  The bead is broken by taking a flat screw driver and prying the tire away from the edge of the rim.  Looking at the picture in post 22 you have the constant pressure - I am surprised that a flat screwdriver in between the tire and the rim will not move the tire away from the rim. 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#26 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:21 PM

I used a screwdriver till I cut into the cords, also several pry bars. I don't want to damage the rims.

• holdenboy1960 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#27 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:27 PM

A guy told me one time he uses his vehicle. Set it flat on the ground and drive onto it. Basically the same thought as above, just not the handwork. I haven't tried it yet.

Edited by shorty, April 11, 2016 - 05:28 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#28 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 06:02 AM

Nice invention, I use a steel car ramp. Put it up on the tire as close to the bead as possible,then drive on it with the truck. Always works for me.
  • larrybl and HDWildBill have said thanks

#29 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 09:02 PM

Nice invention, I use a steel car ramp. Put it up on the tire as close to the bead as possible,then drive on it with the truck. Always works for me.

I have some steel ramps and a Truck. Might try that this weekend.

• limebuzz and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#30 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Lol, or you could just do what I did tonight. I took an axe, placed it between the tire and bead,then beat the piss out of it till it broke loose.the tire was NFG anyways. Good stress releaver too.
  • KennyP, holdenboy1960, haykarenhardy and 1 other said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tire changer, tire removal, tire insatllation