8 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:07 PM

Here are a couple photos of the seed planter I use.  Bought it at an auction for $1 a few years ago.  Works great especially on small seeds.  Forgot to look on the back side for a brand name but I can check if someone is interested.  It has 27 different vegetables listed on the large wheel with a letter under each one.  You turn the red cup so the corresponding letter lines up with the pointer.  Seeds are placed inside the red cover.  Run it down the row and about 1/4 - 3/8 " of dirt will cover the seeds as the wheel rotates.  Nice little seeder and would not be without it.

Seeder-1.JPG    seeder-2.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, Traill95 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,577 Thanks
  • 920 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:09 PM

I will have to look for one of those.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:12 PM

If you don't mind I would like any more info you have on it
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:14 AM

If you don't mind I would like any more info you have on it

Will look today and see what is one it.  Nice thing about it is you can adjust the red center wheel to plant thicker or thinner.  Don't have to have it right on the pointer setting.

• Alc said thank you

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:34 AM

Here are 3 more photos of the seeder.  We put in 3 - 30' rows this morning, 2 different Radish and one Lettuce.   If you have a good tiller that makes a nice fine smooth seedbed that is all you need.  took twice as long to move the stakes with chalk line than it did to put the seeds in.  The large wheel has a round edge that picks up soil and drops it over the seeds.  Run the seeder down the chalk line and your done.  Couple old mini blind pieces labeled and stuck in at the end of the rows and wait for the rains to come.  Each year before use I put graphite on the washer where the red wheel turn on and also the pin the rotates on the handle for the large wheel.  The red wheel can be adjust to  a smaller or larger opening for your desired seed thickness.  I keep it out of the sun so the plastic wheel don't go to pieces from UV damage.  Think I paid a buck for it at auction as no one else knew what it was and didn't look that close.

Seeder-3.JPG    Seeder-4.JPG    Seeder-5.JPG

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 12:25 PM

Just did a search , old winning bids ( $12)  on ebay , but nothing else . I'll just have to keep an eye open for one .

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:08 AM

Just did a search , old winning bids ( $12)  on ebay , but nothing else . I'll just have to keep an eye open for one .

I look at the current listing and nothing there.  Only the Earthway and copy cats.  I'll check CL for this area and see if anything shakes out.

Nothing found in the Midwest.  Did find that Esmay became Earthway many years ago.  Don't know if they were bought out or how that transpired.  Earthway also makes the same contraption with the Precision label.

Put a wanted on Cl.

Edited by chieffan, April 06, 2016 - 06:53 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#8 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 01:09 PM

I have one very similar to that. Like you, My Olde Deere used graphite to keep it turning smoothly. I prefer to seed the large seeds by hand, (peas, corn etc.) but it works a charm for the small ones.

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 07:18 PM

We have a creek about 150 yd from the property.  Have enough trouble keeping the critters out of the muskmelon and tomatoes so don't bother with sweet corn.  Can usually buy it locally for around $3-$4 a dozen when it gets going good.  Can't mess with it for that.