• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:04 PM

I like browsing shops of other members so I wanted to start a thread of my shop. We recently moved from the city to the country mid summer of last year. We had to make a quick decision to get this place so the move was not only intense but we didn't have much time for organization. I really couldn't place things or build shelves etc. until this year. Some of these have already been changed due to more stuff accumulating. We still have stuff at the old place  :(

The garage now my shop needed a lot of work. The roof was rusted, the door needed painting, & I found out later during a hard rain it would flood on the right side because of no gutters. I have since then wire brushed, primed, & painted the roof. I scraped, primed & painted the front door & put new locks on the entry door. The inside was painted a hunters green so I sprayed two coats of white to brighten it up. I'll probably insulate & cover all the interior walls with OSB board this fall. I salvaged some gutters from a friends house. Getting these gutters here was exciting. I have a ten foot bed on my trailer. I placed two feet in front of the trailer, plus the ten feet on the trailer & still had fifteen feet hanging off the back. I know that's about as illegal as one could get but I wanted long lengths. I had to haul them about twenty five miles passing one police station. I knew if I could get passed that it was country roads all the way home. It looked like a giant scorpion with it's tail stretched out. I only have a single 110 line out there now but will be putting 220 under ground soon. 

1.jpg 2.jpg Garage1.jpg Garage2.jpg Garage3.jpg Garage4.jpg

So far I just placed things pretty much close to where they might end up. I do a lot of woodworking & of coarse the GT fever I suffer with. I presently have four GT's in my shop & another in boxes packed away. Three of these I use on a regular basis, the Cub needs some engine work & presently is a non runner. I don't have the time or funds to build a shed right now so soon I will be moving three of these outside on a pallet covered with plastic & a tarp over them. 

6.jpg 7.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg

I want to build a table on wheels for my MF12 so I can start painting the finish coat & getting it back together. I have seen many of these used on here but in a clear area to be able to move it around. I plan on buying the 20 ton press from HF so I have to make a place for it. This is the only thing that doesn't have a designated place right now. 

In this pic is the large too high work bench that was left by the PO. On it is mostly the parts for the MF12 plus some other engine parts. I need this to be about 3"-4" lower because of the large vise & using it to work on engines etc.

Instead of moving everything off I will be jacking it up one end at a time & cutting 3 1/2" off of each leg. This table has 3x4 solid oak legs so I will be using a Sawzall with a coarse blade. I want to do this quickly because I don't want to be a fat greasy spot in my own shop. Lol

9.jpg

Next up I'll probably be building the metal shelf unit & lowering the large bench so stay tuned in because I have a lot of plans & changes in my head & will be doing more later. All comments & suggestions are welcomed & appreciated  :wave:

• olcowhand, DougT, limebuzz and 20 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:31 PM

Some folks like higher work benches, specially if old or bad back. Keeps the work up where you are not arched over it and getting sore back. My brother did that at home garage with metal top. When I was playing with things I hated it, too tall for me, but I was little then too. Even now when building one, usually make it 36" tall, just like a kitchen top would be, seems good. Too tall also makes long reach to back for tools and things if you have any depth to the thing. I need to build some shelves in my place too. Been saying that for long time. Only thing is the shelves with any size to them take up floor area that might be place to park something else, never know. 

• KennyP, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:56 PM

I usually build my work benches a bit taller than usual. I hate bending over or hunching. I have a couple bar stools I sit on. I cut them down a little and they work perfect.

I used to have a metal rolling welding table. It was above belly button height but it was perfect for working standing up.
  • KennyP, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Why is it that a shop is never large enough?  Always run out of room.  Like the looks of what you have going there.  What is the story behind the red RR light hanging above the cross buck?  I have a working crossing signal, a signal control building and a search light signal out by my garden railroad.  Also have a single cast iron light in the basement.  All came off the old CB&Q railroad.  Also a few old MM signs.  They cal the CP for control point now.

• grnspot110, WNYTractorTinkerer and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Why is it that a shop is never large enough?  Always run out of room.  Like the looks of what you have going there.  What is the story behind the red RR light hanging above the cross buck?  I have a working crossing signal, a signal control building and a search light signal out by my garden railroad.  Also have a single cast iron light in the basement.  All came off the old CB&Q railroad.  Also a few old MM signs.  They cal the CP for control point now.

A friend of mine works for the RR & he knows how much I like trains & model them in HO scale. When they replace certain items instead of the scrap pile sometimes he brings them home. I told him I want a air horn next then he laughed.

Edited by Sawdust, April 03, 2016 - 07:56 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#6 Buddy OFFLINE  

Buddy
  • Member No: 45481
  • 149 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 03:54 PM

I like it sawdust. Nice garage/shop....

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 02:04 PM

Being as I am "vertically challenged", almost all work surfaces are too high for me. A nice solid stool of 4x6's has served me well, and I can drag it where needed.
  • HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 09:20 PM

I cut the legs off the too high work bench...went rather well. It's now about 36" high just right to sit down in front of. I'll probably extend the front of the table to create an overhang. I cut one end at a time & put a spacer under the first set of legs so it wouldn't come down too low before I cut the other end. Once I cut the other end I'll let it down all the way then go back & remove the spacers.

10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 14.jpg

I started cutting up some shelf framing. This stuff is so handy to use. I will be using 12" wide plywood for the shelving since I had some of it from the old place. These metal sections are 6' long so this  will be my length over the top of the 8' wide table.

15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg

:wave:

• olcowhand, grnspot110, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 05:34 AM

Your shop is very nice and neat :thumbs:   It makes me want to spend some time cleaning and organizing mine , it such a mess :(

• Sawdust said thank you

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 07:40 AM

Mine of coarse isn't totally organized yet because of some after thoughts considering bench space vs wall space. At first I built way too many benches....almost around the whole perimeter. I'm trying to keep the wood projects on one side & the GT projects on the other. My biggest problem right now like most is I need to get the GT's in a shed. Hopefully later this year I can build a shed just for them & the implements.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 07:15 PM

I painted my frame & shelves. I'm a Nascar fan & I like Jimmy Johnson of Hendrick Motors so I want to try & keep the blue, gray & some silver theme in my shop. I wanted to do this before I put some things together but I never had the time so looks like I'll be going backwards & doing some painting.

18 - Copy.jpg 19 - Copy.jpg

Once I started with this existing bench I realized like I thought about before of just tearing it apart & starting over. It has 3x4 oak boards for the frame & legs but no cross bracing under the upper & lower bench areas. The top shelf they had was junk so I removed that. I put notched center legs underneath to get the swag out of the middle. I put three 2x4 cross braces under the top & bottom. I had to place the braces where they go & using a bottle jack raise them up while pushing the sag out of the 1/2" sheathing then screwing them in place. A lot of work not seen but needed.

20 - Copy.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg

On my job site miter saw table I have hangers for a right angle grinder. I use this for coping large or hard wood crown molding. I thought I need something similar for the shop. It's funny how your messes catch up with you. On my table saw out feed table I have it full of parts from my Bolens H16 because I'm replacing bushings & getting it ready for paint. I managed to find scrap that only needed cut on the miter saw & not the table saw. It's pretty simple & self explained so I won't bore you with dimensions. I'm not sure if I'll leave it mounted here on the wall or place it in front of the bench so I can leave them plugged up & just reach down use it & put it back.

24.jpg 25.jpg 26.jpg

Thanks for viewing  :wave:

• olcowhand, grnspot110, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#12 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 08:49 PM

looks like you have been fun in the shop getting the way you want or need it to work the best for you.

I have a work shop that I build several years ago- I made it 30x 42 and 10' ceiling.

I will post some pictures after I cleaned it up a bit

• Sawdust said thank you

#13 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for some good ideas for storing grinders. I'm a NASCAR fan too, had Bristol on while working in the shop today. Good race. I like Jimmie real well, he's a great multi time champion and role model, but have been pulling for Furniture Row Racing for several years. My sisters got us a tour of the Denver shop a few years back while visiting the girls.  Now with the manufacturer change it's a little bittersweet  but I still like that Colorado team.

Keep your shop ideas coming!

DAC

• Sawdust said thank you

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 11:14 AM

nice shop Jim. looks a little cramped though with all those tractors. Shoot me your address and I will come clean them out for ya :thumbs:  :thank_you:

• Sawdust and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 04:56 PM

I got some trim coming out from the old place so I thought I would build a ceiling rack to hold some of this. Once again I used this same metal to build the racks. I cut all the pieces, painted & assembled.

Ceiling rack1.jpg Ceiling rack2.jpg Ceiling rack3.jpg

The far end of the boards will lay on top of the horizontal beam over the garage door. There's about 8" in there & of coarse the other end will lay on top of the rack. The rack on the left is about 12' out & the other one is 8' out. I'm not sure about the small stuff yet, I might put angle racks on a wall somewhere. I have a roll out storage cart on wheels in the corner that will hold a lot of short pieces & sheets of plywood.

Ceiling rack4.jpg Ceiling rack5.jpg Ceiling rack6.jpg

I had about 18 bags of hardware from TSC I put away in this bucket tray thing I had. This will be temporary until I get some drawers made for hardware.

Hardware storage1.jpg

• grnspot110, IamSherwood, KennyP and 1 other said thanks