Garden Tractor Forums banner

driveway work with the 1050

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  AA Hayes 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well my driveway parking area had some very bad ruts this spring from heavy rains and fast snow melts. My wife's car was close to rubbing is her tires were in the ruts my truck made. :wallbanging:

So after doing much research on getting a back blade for my sleeve hitch, and deciding I would likely beat the snot out of it. I took 2 hours this afternoon and did some work. :dancingbanana: seat time!!!

The parking area in the driveway has always been a sore spot for me, my truck is is 20' bumper to bumper, and the short section that was flat always left my truck sitting on a slope. Well with my truck being standard, as all real trucks are, i never did much like this issue. So I started my work by scraping the top edge of the parking area pushing it down the slope towards the driveway section. I was quite surprised at how well I was able to scrape with some finesse or the hydraulic lift (tank the bolens gods for that.) I was able to scrape about 6 to 10" down with a couple passes pushing the material in the direction i was looking to raise. Once my pipes of scraped materials were somewhat smoothed out. I went and grabbed a couple of my suitcase weights I use on the back of my HT20 with the beefy 2 stage during the winter. With 2 50lb weights hanging on my blade, I had sufficient weight to back blade the rough lines and pumps out of the parking area.

All in all, I must say, I am surprised at how well and how quickly I was able to accomplish the slight improvement to the driveway. The seat time on the 1050 is such a bonus, driving that tractor is always a hoot. :thumbs:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Snow Automotive tire

Plant Land lot Asphalt Road surface Groundcover

Snow Plant Building Tree Slope

Asphalt Slope Road surface Tire Building

Tire Slope Asphalt Tree Truck

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
No pictures? As the material gets compacted you will probably have to level the area again once or twice but that equals more seat time.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
It is a crappy mix of dirt and gravel. Though the pictures make it look more dirt than it is
After the garage gets build I am going to bring in some A gravel.
We only plan to be here another 3 to 5 years. Hopefully 3, so I don't plan to put a ton of money into things like a driveway.
Once the house is done being renovated we will be selling to buy more land and further into the bush!

#11 ·
It is pretty typical for us to still have more snow this time of year than we do now. we had a very mild winter with little snow fall compared to an average year. With that said we are still getting many nights and some days below freezing and looking at a forecasted 6" to 10" Tuesday night

#14 ·
It is a crappy mix of dirt and gravel. Though the pictures make it look more dirt than it is
After the garage gets build I am going to bring in some A gravel.
We only plan to be here another 3 to 5 years. Hopefully 3, so I don't plan to put a ton of money into things like a driveway.
Once the house is done being renovated we will be selling to buy more land and further into the bush!
Further into the bush? Your current setup looks pretty bushy to me [emoji14]

It's amazing how much you can push with these tractors when you can get the traction down.

#15 ·
I must say that came out nice. Interesting idea on the suitcase weights on the blade for back dragging I like that.

Reactions: AA Hayes
#17 ·
Nice job, a piece of advice if I may, gravel that driveway as nicely as you can when you can, it will add much more than the cost to the value of the house.
That is likely very true and I hadn't even thought of that. Thank you I will for sure!

Further into the bush? Your current setup looks pretty bushy to me [emoji14]
It's amazing how much you can push with these tractors when you can get the traction down.
Well we currently have an acre and a half and neighbors. Though we're are close to the end of a dead end road.
We are looking for 50 plus acres with 25 or so of graving land and plantable land. And no neighbors for a good distance.
It is sure is amazing what you can push with those tube frames

I must say that came out nice. Interesting idea on the suitcase weights on the blade for back dragging I like that.
It makes a world of a difference.

#19 ·
Nice work, I too have had driveway issues! I had my driveway pretty nice. In fall last year I decided to pay $500 for a few loads of #1 crush stone with dust for a top coat. That makes a nice finish! I spread it, used my roller to pack it in, and it looked great! Then I decided to call for another load of stone to make an extra parking spot. I fully explained to the company what I had, what I wanted to do and how I wanted the finish to be. The guy had delivered me the previous stone also!! HE recommended a load of #2 screened stone. Me thinking it was similar to what I had, just a bigger stone, without the dust in it I ok'd it. I also figured that he'd know what I needed because he does this work daily, and he delivered my other stone, so he knew what I had already down for a stone driveway. Well, It got dumped on my nice driveway one day while I was at work. I got home and began to spread it and noticed the stuff was sticking to everything. I called the guy and he said it was very wet due to rain, and to just spread it all and let it dry. Well I spread it, and too me it is what I call "Bank run" so mostly sand, mud, what you'd dig out of a creek bed with very little stone! My driveway was and still is a mess, and that stuff sticks to everything! Every ones shoes, the tractor, the cars, the dogs, whatever it touches! Man was I pissed. $500 in nice stone down the drain buried under that garbage sand mud mess! I called the guy, gave him a piece of my mind, he argued at 1st, then must of thought about what he did to me because I never saw a bill for that load of garbage. But now I still have a mess, and need to start over again! :wallbanging: The guy across the street gave me some recommendations that I may go with. He told me to wait until paving season and find a crew doing a road tear up and repave. He said he did that, stopped and talked to them, and they delivered him the ground up black top(millings) cheap. His driveway is hard as a rock! So I'm going to look into that come spring. Sorry for the rant but I'm still kind fired up about the whole thing!! :mad2: :wallbanging:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.