• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 03:41 PM

Got the bolens 1050 out and it started right up, let it warm up for a couple min. ON the low side 1st, 2nd, 3rd no problem. But on the high side it dies trying to use 2nd and 3rd. Put it in neutrel and try to engage the mower and it dies, idle it up and it still dies. The mower spins fine by hand, it's not bound up. There is oil in the gear box. Any and all info will be very helpful.

Thank you all advance

Patrick.

A couple of pictures, don't know if they will help but they can't hurt.

IMG_6669.JPG

IMG_6673.JPG

IMG_6677 (1).JPG

IMG_6681 (1).JPG

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 03:45 PM

Ok so are you saying the engine starts to die as soon as you throttle up past an idle even with no load applied and in neutral?

I assume you tried adjusting the main jet?

If you have made adjustments and no change occurs you either have a blockage in the carb or you have a bad condenser. A faulty condenser will often let an engine idle then sputter if the throttle is increased.

Other than that valve clearance or worn valve guides will also cause no power symptoms

• boyscout862, MyBolens1053 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#3 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 04:09 PM

It dies when trying to take off in 3rd on the high side, and under the load of trying to engage the mower with the trans in neuter . And did not adjust any thing.

Patrick. 

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,573 Thanks
  • 3,896 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 04:16 PM

I agree with Bolens 1000 above.   Sounds lean on fuel.  Turn the "T" handle on the bottom left [of your first picture] of the carb. counter clockwise 1/4 turn and try again.  If it acts better but still has a problem try another 1/4 turn out [counter clockwise].

#5 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,099 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 04:25 PM

If it has sat and not run for a while or you just refueled it you could have stale or contaminated fuel - just a thought.

#6 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 04:31 PM

O k. I will try that. I am mechanically inclined, just not with small engines. Could there be anything else?

Patrick

#7 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 04:59 PM

O k. I will try that. I am mechanically inclined, just not with small engines. Could there be anything else?

Patrick

Surely sounds like it's running lean.How long has it sat with old gas? Ethanol can give you problems. Before making any adjustments I would eliminate the possibility of an air leak around the carb. Spray WD-40 at all cracks and crevices, linkage and gaskets on the carb while it is running. See if that may be a problem.

Once that is eliminated and if the problem is still there I would consider cleaning the carb if ethanol was allowed to sit for a spell.

Then proceed with the other stuff mentioned if the problem persists.

Good luck. 

• Little Irish Men said thank you

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 825 Thanks
  • 472 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 05:02 PM

I could be wrong, but:

I think on all these when you set the throttle lever you're actually setting the governor for an engine speed.  The governor controls the throttle to maintain engine speed.

When you put a load on it the engine slows down and the governor throws the throttle open to speed it up.  If you're not getting enough fuel it'll stall.  Look for a fuel delivery issue - either not enough coming from the tank, main jet clogged or not open enough or fuel too low in float bowl.

It's also possible, but less likely it's not getting enough air.  Air filter clean and nothing built a nest in the housing?

• Little Irish Men said thank you

#9 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 05:17 PM

I don't know how long it sat before , but i will drain out the gas tank clean it out . And will follow all of your good advice . A BIG THANK YOU

to all . And if any body knows what else i can or should try please let me know.

Patrick.

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:06 PM

The screen in the bottom of the gas tank on these are prone to clogging up.Mostly because of old gas but this newer gas goes bad within a couple of months without any fuel stabilizer in it.

That would cause it to run lean.

Once you confirm you have good fuel flow from the tank and your carb is clean and you have a good condensor in it If it's still running lean I would pull the head and check the head gasket and inspect the head for any signs of a crack.Seen quite a few Wisconsins with cracked heads over the years.

• boyscout862 and Little Irish Men have said thanks