• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • Member No: 71036
  • 334 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 02:56 PM

I picked up this corn planter a couple years ago with a 1938 Shaw D5T.  This planter was also sold as an attachment for Standard garden tractors as it is shown in some of their catalogs of the same vintage.  There is a trace of light blue paint on one of the hopper covers.  Does anyone know who the original manufacture was and what the original color may have been?  This appears to be a very well made unit.  Thanks for your help.

Cliff

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0723.JPG
  • IMG_0724.JPG
  • IMG_0725.JPG
  • IMG_0726.JPG
  • IMG_0727.JPG
  • IMG_0728.JPG
  • IMG_0729.JPG
  • IMG_0730.JPG
  • IMG_0731.JPG
  • C-40 Corn Planter.jpeg

• earthgrinder, Alc, Lauber1 and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • Member No: 61764
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:28 PM

Nice find Cliff! I would love to have one of those for my Shaw! Not sure what brand it is. My first thought was Cole by the looks of the row opener, but the wheel doesn't look right for a Cole. It looks like it mounts to the swivel caster bracket? Is there a patent number on it anywhere?image.jpeg
  • Lauber1 said thank you

#3 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • Member No: 61764
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:20 PM

Are the discs in the background for a Shaw as well? Post pics of that as well, please!

#4 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • Member No: 71036
  • 334 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:32 PM

Travis,

The gage wheel bracket is the standard Shaw part, but the release lever is modified with a clip so the planter can float.  You can see the clip in the second and third pictures.  The disc in the background is a complete Shaw 2B1012R riding disc.  It is the only one I have ever seen that is complete.  It is in excellent condition except the termites ate the entire wood bearings.  It is in one of the storage sheds right now.  I will post some pictures when I can get it out. I will get a block of lignum vitae to make new bearings when it warms up.  This disc was the reason I bought the tractor, but it has some other unique rare attachments plus the popular ones.  Drove to Missouri to get it.  It was worth the trip.

Cliff 

• earthgrinder, DougT, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:39 AM

Wish I could give you any info, just wanted to say those are wonderful survivor pieces and congrats on the find.