Bigdaddydon

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1755
  • 75 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 09:53 AM

mower deck tear down 005.jpg

Well, I tore into the mower deck to get it ready for the 1256 when it finally gets finished.
The mower deck itself is solid with quite a bit of pitting on the underside. It looks like I will be needing some parts, I'll be watching ebay, any help would be appreciated.
Belt Cover 1721067
Blade drive pulley 1716763 at least 1
Drive hub 1719040 (3)
Retaining Ring 1185708 (3)
Rivet 1177330 (6)
Idler Pulley complete assembly (1)
I may need a Bearing housing with bearings, I am soaking them right now in PB Blaster to see if I can get them loosened up and or removed.

Attached Thumbnails

• mower deck tear down 004.jpg
  • mower deck tear down 003.jpg
  • mower deck tear down 002.jpg
  • mower deck tear down 006.jpg
  • mower deck tear down 001.jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, ebay is probably your best bet.
Hope you can find the parts you need.
You may want to give our site sponsors a try and see if they have what you need.

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 12:19 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14220[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14219[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14218[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14217[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14216[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14215[/ATTACH]

Blade drive pulley 1716763 at least 1 I can't tell what is wrong with yours from the pic. ....If it is just two small chips from the rim, I think it is still useable if you can't find a replacement, provided the keyway in the pulley is not worn.

Retaining Ring 1185708 (3) Standard retaining rings available from some hardware or auto parts stores, or bearing supply houses. ....You just need to know diameter of shaft, and thickness of retaining ring.

Idler Pulley complete assembly (1) The idler assembly was not sold as a complete unit. .....All the parts were sold individually. .....The idler pulleys are not unique to Bolens, and should be available from most lawn equipment dealers. .....You need to know the O.D., I.D., and the width of the pulley. .....Most of the idler pulleys had a hub (inner race of the bearing) that was offset (longer on one side than the other). .....There were often spacers on one side of the idler to keep the pulley from dragging on the flat plates.

The stud that the idler assy pivots on needs to be free of rust, and needs to be fairly smooth. ......The nylon bushings were also used by other brands.

I may need a Bearing housing with bearings, I am soaking them right now in PB Blaster to see if I can get them loosened up and or removed.

Try to save the housing, if at all possible! ....Bearings can be purchased through many sources. .....Try to keep from destroying the spindle shaft, as well.

#4 Bigdaddydon ONLINE  

Bigdaddydon

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1755
  • 75 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 09:12 AM

Thanks Bruce, The drive pulley is pitted and very rough i'm afraid it would cause the belt to wear to quickly. My idler pulley assembly is rusted through and must be replaced i see one on ebay that i'll try to get.
I am still working on the housing, patience will get me there I think. All spindle shafts are in good shape.

It looks like my big issue will be the Drive hubs, has anyone found an alternative?

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 06:48 PM

You may be better off getting another deck that you can use for parts..... It may be cheaper then buying individual parts