18 replies to this topic

#16 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:21 PM

Nice find! Looks like a pretty straight 1253!

• SC Farmer said thank you

#17 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 03:21 AM

Great find, and a solid machine you have to start with there. I also 2nd the Napa battery, I bought a walmart battery in a pinch because Napa was closed.  I had to change my terminal ends on my 1050 for it to work and it lasted 1 summer and died out over the next winter. They are throw away junk batteries!! I've had good luck with Napa batteries, plus I get a discount because I know people there, so that always helps!  :thumbs:

Edited by fonz3482, April 05, 2016 - 03:21 AM.

#18 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for all the recommendations on the batteries.  I will go with a NAPA or something similar. I tried starting it yesterday with a battery from my 1886.  Nothing but a clicking noise when I turned the key.  I'm thinking it's either the battery with not enough juice or a bad wire somewhere, or the solenoid, or the starter, or a seized engine.  I'm thinking it's not a seized engine, because the tractor was obviously kept up and looks like it has run recently.  Could be, but I doubt it (hope, hope, hope!!!).  The tractor is put away for now in the barn and is a fall project, but getting it to start before then would be good.

Any advice?

Edited by SC Farmer, April 05, 2016 - 04:34 PM.

#19 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 08:41 AM

I believe you should be able to grab onto the flywheel or a pulley by hand and try to turn it either direction to see if its seized. If it is not then look into starting components. Sometimes if the starter is sticking, a tap with a hammer on the starter itself while clicking it over may get it going.