• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 04:57 AM

Hmmm.  Having read the Forum for a few months now, I've seen a number of members bemoaning that collecting Bolens tractors is addictive.  I've read their posts with interest, but didn't really put much stock in the syndrome. But...

Yep.  I guess that "bug" has bitten me too.  Either that or I just couldn't stand to see my 1886 sitting in the barn with only a Farmall and a Cub Cadet for company (I ignored the JD in the corner - it's just a lawnmower).  So I found a companion for my 1886.  I saw the ad on CL last Sunday and picked up my "new" 1253 Saturday!

It's really in pretty good shape.  Obviously needs a new headlight, plus a battery (by the way, any suggestions on what kind of battery? Any suggestions that don't cost more that the tractor did?).  It looks like it has the original rubber all the way around (with only minor weather checking) and it has the original seat (with only one small tear).  Not much in the way of mods (someone did weld a rigged up tow bar to the rear hitch - that can be replaced easily).  Guy i bought it from (for not much $$$ - yay!) said it needs a starter - I'll be checking that today.  It also looks like it has a broken off drag link that was rigged with a bolt and drilled hole.  I need to check a parts manual to locate a new one.

So.  What's the opinion?  Good find?

Oh - this find will have to wait until next winter for restoration. I've GOT to finish my Cub Cadet and my 1886 first!  It'll eat at me, but I've gotta wait...   Well 'cept for a few small things...    :D

Jim

PS:  It came with a 42" mowing deck, which looks to be in really good shape as well

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 002.JPG

Edited by SC Farmer, April 03, 2016 - 05:04 AM.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, LPBolens and 12 others have said thanks

#2 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,901 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 05:49 AM

Good find I see it was keepin an eye out for ya.
  • blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:26 AM

Good looking tractor, one eye and all.  As for a battery I have bought Interstate batteries for my own equipment for years.  If I plan to sell it I go with the less expensive batteries but never a Walmart.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Bolens800uk and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:21 AM

That's a nice find and it will be good company to the 1886. Trailer always handy for collecting your next Bolens shortly....... :)
  • blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and SC Farmer have said thanks

#5 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:35 AM

Often the repairing and replacing of parts can surpass the purchase price with a non running unit. Acknowledge that going in and you be the judge. I always feel I can get them running and usually dive head in. I'm not a Tecumseh fan but tractor is a sturdy unit, gear jammers are cool! The Tecumseh starter may be NLA , used one or maybe your starter shop could help. Check with our sight sponsors that deal in Bolens parts for the drag link, If they are out,you can try here:

http://www.tubeframe...ing-parts/it7mh
  • blackjackjakexxix and SC Farmer have said thanks

#6 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:46 AM

Nice find! I had the same issue with the drag link. I ended up cutting the end off, then drilling and tapping it for a replaceable end.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 005.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Paulgo and 1 other said thanks

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:53 AM

Nice find!

As others mentioned replacing parts will often exceed the purchase price but consider it an investment that will give you years of trouble free life

You can get away with the small L&G batteries but dont get a Walmart special, get a Deka or interstate with at least 300 CCA

You can get these battery hold downs to secure them , if you cant find local I have everything here

http://bolenspartsan...ely-wheelhorse/

The Tecumseh Starters have been NLA since the end of 2015 , I think I bought the last one they had at the plant. They still make aftermarket for them but dont get the cheap china ones, theres two levels of aftermarket parts out there.

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 08:11 AM

Congrats on a good find. I like a lot of colors in my corral too. I have a H16, Bolens parts, & implements are plentiful.

Edited by Sawdust, April 03, 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#9 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 10:01 AM

I think you found a nice tractor there,looks to be in pretty good shape for the age,I would try to find a local shop to rebuild the starter if possible,we have a guy on here that can make that seat look like new, again nice find

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, April 03, 2016 - 10:02 AM.

• Bolens 1000 and SC Farmer have said thanks

#10 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 11:07 AM

Congratulations - very nice looking tractor.  Now that you have the "Bolens Bug" watch out for the "got to have another one" symptom that will occur periodically when you least expect it.

• blackjackjakexxix, Bolens800uk, Paulgo and 1 other said thanks

#11 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 11:22 AM

Congratulations - very nice looking tractor.  Now that you have the "Bolens Bug" watch out for the "got to have another one" symptom that will occur periodically when you least expect it.

I can testify to that. I bought my first one, a 1254, back in 2014 and now I got 7 of the buggers! A great and rewarding hobby in my opinion.
  • blackjackjakexxix and SC Farmer have said thanks

#12 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 12:54 PM

Oh yeah, I know the purchase price is just the start, but the "fixing it" is the fun part!  I'll take everyone's advice on the battery to heart.

Been out just now disking in a large garden with my Cub.  Building hills tomorrow and then planting.Great to be out in the dirt again!

Will spend the afternoon with the "new" Bolens.   :wave:

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#13 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 01:34 PM

Nice looking tractor. It looks just like my two 1253's.

Regarding the battery, I bought a NAPA 8222NF (BCI #22NF) Lawn & Garden battery in April 2014 for mine. It fits perfectly in the tractor using the the original sheet metal hold-downs. Although it's labeled as a lawn & garden battery, it has a rating of 360CCA (445 @ 32degF) and it has the standard round terminal posts.

It looks like your NAPA store in Loris is out of stock at the moment, but it is available and can be reserved online with a 10% discount, if you do. The price listed on the NAPA website is $98.10 (w/o discount). By today's standards, $88 is not a bad price for a battery.

http://www.napaonlin.../en/p/NBP8222NF

NAPA Auto Parts
4234 Main St
Loris,  SC  29569
(843) 756-3819

• SC Farmer said thank you

#14 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Nice score.  Looks like a nice trailer too.

• SC Farmer said thank you

#15 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:53 PM

Nice score.  Looks like a nice trailer too.

LOL - both are a result of Craigslist!

• Oldford said thank you